For MonaCD

I love your google maps for Halifax and Charlottetown since they hit what I think are the highlights for us--they are our "instant" plans. Do you have any suggestions for the scenic areas of Sydney? We certainly want tosee the Miners Museum in Glace Bay and a quick stop in New Waterford (my husband's grandfather died in a mine collapse in New Waterford and there is a memorial). Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. We are docked in Sydney 9am-5pm.

I love your google maps for Halifax and Charlottetown since they hit what I think are the highlights for us--they are our "instant" plans. Do you have any suggestions for the scenic areas of Sydney? We certainly want tosee the Miners Museum in Glace Bay and a quick stop in New Waterford (my husband's grandfather died in a mine collapse in New Waterford and there is a memorial). Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. We are docked in Sydney 9am-5pm.

Hi Pizzalady, I'm glad you've found my post useful. Unfortunately I'm not able to help you with Sydney, I haven't been in that area since I was a kid. Was hoping to make a road trip there sometime this summer but haven't made it yet. I think maryann might be able to help you on this one more then I.

I can help. You have two basic choices for feasible days.

The first is the Fortress at Louisbourg which is simply outstanding. This was a real French walled fortified town. It was destroyed, but there were complete plans in France so much (but far from all) has been rebuilt to the way it was in 1744. Records also show who lived there and what they did, so there are animators (people dressed up and playing the parts of historical people). You can see a garden as it would have been then, eat in restaurants and bars as they were then, etc.

Louisbourg is close enough to Glace Bay that you may be able to combine these two. I would rent a car and go to Louisbourg early. After you have had your fill then go on to Glace Bay. Check the times for the tours so you can plan accordingly.

I have just figured out how to do a map (I hope): http://tiny.cc/m0qur

I can help. You have two basic choices for feasible days.

The first is the Fortress at Louisbourg which is simply outstanding. This was a real French walled fortified town. It was destroyed, but there were complete plans in France so much (but far from all) has been rebuilt to the way it was in 1744. Records also show who lived there and what they did, so there are animators (people dressed up and playing the parts of historical people). You can see a garden as it would have been then, eat in restaurants and bars as they were then, etc.

Louisbourg is close enough to Glace Bay that you may be able to combine these two. I would rent a car and go to Louisbourg early. After you have had your fill then go on to Glace Bay. Check the times for the tours so you can plan accordingly.

I have just figured out how to do a map (I hope): http://tiny.cc/m0qur

Maryann ns--I am glad you saw this and followed up. I really wanted to do Louisbourg, but it appears that there are very limited activities during our timeframe and they will not have the animators (May 17) so I wonder if it would be worth the trip. What do you think?

The map is great--thanks.

Oh my! I did not check this. These facilities and the cruise ship business need to get together!

In that case, I'd better give you choice #2: the beautiful scenic drive to Baddeck. Visit the Alexander Graham Bell Museum and enjoy this lovely town. If you have time, you can go on to Iona to the Higland Village. This is a beautiful drive along the Bras D'Or Lakes.

http://tiny.cc/stm2r

Oh my! I did not check this. These facilities and the cruise ship business need to get together!

In that case, I'd better give you choice #2: the beautiful scenic drive to Baddeck. Visit the Alexander Graham Bell Museum and enjoy this lovely town. If you have time, you can go on to Iona to the Higland Village. This is a beautiful drive along the Bras D'Or Lakes.

http://tiny.cc/stm2r

Thanks, this does sound good. I just looked up Highland Village and they don't open until June. Oh well.

I don't think the Miner's Museum is open either.

You should check into the ship's tours. Sometimes they make arrangements to go to places not normally open. I know there was a thread here some time ago about the Highland Village being open for a cruise ship and that those on private tours would be able to go too.

We get very few tourists in May, but it is a shame that there is so little open for you.

However the drive to Baddeck and down to Iona is beautiful.

I don't think the Miner's Museum is open either.

You should check into the ship's tours. Sometimes they make arrangements to go to places not normally open. I know there was a thread here some time ago about the Highland Village being open for a cruise ship and that those on private tours would be able to go too.

We get very few tourists in May, but it is a shame that there is so little open for you.

However the drive to Baddeck and down to Iona is beautiful.

I will check. Sydney is the only port giving me trouble! Thanks.

Archived