E-ROLLER and others: looking for advice!

aaannnthony

We booked the Golden Princess NY to S'hampton, 5/8-5/22, many moons ago, but, didn't do air return. Shortly thereafter noted that QM-2 returns to NY on 5/22......so, let's do a b-2-b transatlantic on different ships, same day return.

As you all probably know, Cunard offers "free air" on all T/A's. So, we asked about an air credit since we don't need the air. We assumed no problem, C's been doing the free air "gig" for eons.....answer NO!!....it's an available amenity for your usage, if you so desire.

I can't believe that there haven't been thousands of similar instances over the years where no air was required by pax. And, I can't believe they just said OKAY!

Today, we booked anyhow, however, only resultant from the promo where you pay for a C-4, $1749pp, and are upgraded to a B-6 obstructed balcony, regularly $2549EBS.

So, who do we turn to for appropriate considerations from our non-need of the free air amenity offered, recognizing that Frank Sansome found greener pastures?!!

We booked the Golden Princess NY to S'hampton, 5/8-5/22, many moons ago, but, didn't do air return. Shortly thereafter noted that QM-2 returns to NY on 5/22......so, let's do a b-2-b transatlantic on different ships, same day return.

As you all probably know, Cunard offers "free air" on all T/A's. So, we asked about an air credit since we don't need the air. We assumed no problem, C's been doing the free air "gig" for eons.....answer NO!!....it's an available amenity for your usage, if you so desire.

I can't believe that there haven't been thousands of similar instances over the years where no air was required by pax. And, I can't believe they just said OKAY!

Today, we booked anyhow, however, only resultant from the promo where you pay for a C-4, $1749pp, and are upgraded to a B-6 obstructed balcony, regularly $2549EBS.

So, who do we turn to for appropriate considerations from our non-need of the free air amenity offered, recognizing that Frank Sansome found greener pastures?!!

Hi...

I've been in the situation where Cunard offers the 'free air' but didn't need it. I asked Cunard the same question, and received the same answer.

THe value of the 'free air' to Cunard is minimal as they get greatly discounted rates from the carriers because of the volume they book. If you, or I were to book a one-way transatlantic flight on a full service carrier, we'd probably pay 4 or 5 times the amount Cunard pays.

For Cunard, the airfare is part of the price charged to customers...just as is meals on board ship, enterntainment, etc. If a passenger misses a meal (I've heard some DO miss a meal) or forgoes watching the entertainment, there's no rebate give to the passenger.

This is just my two cents.

I've had this issue with Cunard for a few years now. I never need air since I work for an airline and just like you, I was a bit surprised when no credit was offered for not using Cunard's return air. I was told you either "use it or lose it" but no credit. End of story.

I think most people do take advantage of the "free" return air, which is probably why we don't hear much about it.

Now and then Cunard will offer promo rates on the transatlantic crossings that don't include the return air. You really have to read the fine print at the bottom of the ad. I try to stick with those since I know I'm not paying a subsidized rate for air that I won't be using.

Sorry I don't have better news ... but what a great vacation you have planned. GOLDEN PRINCESS followed by QM2. Great combo!!

Ernie

While there is a substantial discount for doing a round trip - not necessarily BtB on a Cunard ship (something like 50% on the return portion) at present the benefit of forfeiting your air return is the amount of tax you will be paying. (Less than $30 per person).

tandemtourer

You're stuck with the unwanted air. There is no flexiblity. I didn't need it for a recent transatlantic and tried to exchange it for a nights hotel stay in NYC which was part of a special offer to UK residents. Cunard was probably paying for over 500 room nights and would not entertain my request to trade air for a bed.

Archived