Access

eazyrider516

Does anyone know how the accessibility is on the QM2? I went on Royal Caribbeans Explorer of the Seas last summer and it was incredibly accessible. I have never been onj Cunard Lines and don't know anyone who has been. I had my scooter on RCL and would like to bring it on Cunard's QM2.

Mobility scooters are welcome on all Cunard ships :) You just have to remember that it must be stored inside your cabin and cannot be left in a corridor, etc. I have not been on QM2 but I believe that everywhere is accessible.

Mobility scooters are welcome on all Cunard ships :) You just have to remember that it must be stored inside your cabin and cannot be left in a corridor, etc. I have not been on QM2 but I believe that everywhere is accessible.

We sailed on the QM2 in June of this year, and there were a number of people in wheelchairs. Never saw a scooter though. But I'm assuming if wheelchairs can maneuver the ship so can scooters.

Never saw a scooter though.

My mother took her scooter on QE2 many times in the past. There were always other scooters about then. We're all booked on Vicky this Christmas, as is mother's scooter. Cunard didn't think that it was the least bit unusual that we were taking it. What Cunard did stress is that your scooter must be able to fit in your cabin. Bear this in mind when selecting a cabin.

My mother and I traveled with her scooter extensively on QM2 and QV. There are elevators that take you to all of decks. Some of the doors to the outside decks are heavy and you would need someone to help you navigate them. The King's Court buffet area is great and one of the staff will always carry your tray to a table.

I would suggest that you book,(early) for a wheelchair cabin there is usually one in each grade. The regular Britannia cabins would be a little tight with a scooter. Doable, but there would be a step up to the bathroom and you would have to be able to walk to the bed as there would not be enough room to manouver the scooter.

The staff is very helpful with wheelchairs and scooters and there is even a lift down to the tender platform so you can go ashore.

I have sailed in a C3 Cabin (#6009) on QM2 which is Handicap Accessible. This is one of the 4 accessible cabins (in this grade only, not ship wide); they aren’t very expensive but I think that has to do with their location. They are extremely far forward and you feel more movement than you do in other areas. If you are concerned about feeling the movement of the ship you may need to book a higher category accessible cabin.

I was in this cabin for a cruise not a crossing and I felt the ship pitching up and down quite a bit while crossing the Bay of Biscay. I really didn’t feel the movement during that same time in other locations around the ship.

Also when the bow thrusters are being used while maneuvering in and out of port there is significant vibration and noise in this cabin.

The attached pictures may not do it justice but please know that the doorway is much wider than the normal cabin door and the cabin in general is quite spacious.

There is a large bathroom with a roll in shower, shower seat, and plenty of hand rails. Also note that there is no lip to step over to enter the bathroom like all other cabins on the ship. There are emergency call pull cords in the bathroom and over the bed in case of any problems; this notifies the ships medical center. So if you are traveling solo in accessible cabins on QM2, it’s nice to know you can easily get help if required.

But based on my experience I can definitely say that there is plenty of room to maneuver with a wheelchair or scooter in QM2’s accessible cabins, so book with confidence.

1196763560_232323232fp536__nu32__373_8_8_WSNRCG324866_55336nu0mrj.jpg.fc7624709026dca6ce8c56f7ee028230.jpg

725766873_232323232fp53696_nu32__373_8_8_WSNRCG32486_345336nu0mrj.jpg.3702c81e16263257cae9c8298fc65f1b.jpg

We have used Pride go go scooter on 3 QM2 and 1 QV cruise so far with no problems. We do book a HC room though we have met other people using a scooter who were not able to secure HC rooms and used regular rooms leaving the scooter at the elevator bank.

The QV is easier to navigate than the QM2 but as long as you have an able-bodied assistant (that is me :)) along nothing is a problem. the dining room staff are most willing to drive your scooter if it is not convenient to leave it near your table.

In Kings Court there is always someone to help you though my husband usually secures the table and I fetch the food.

All venues are easily accessed so don't worry.

Scooters are GREAT on this ship and much needed...

Enjoy!

E.

Archived