Earliest Flight after cruise is over =(

Will be docking in P.R. after our cruise is done (I hate that thought), what's the earliest flight I should book and still have time to spare...in other words, I don't want to be running through the airport like George Costanza...:p

In San Juan, I would not book anything prior to 2:00. Not very fond of the airport situation there with the x-ray and re-x-ray of the luggage there.

The whole airport reminds me of ants in an anthill the way people are comming/going.

For those from San Juan, please do not take offense to my post, it is not intended that way, I just have a high dislike for the airport and those that work there. I have a customer that was born in San Juan that said this to me once. "The people that work in the airport have to be the most rude people in the world. I am glad that the biggest majority of the residents of San Juan are not like those people. They are ruthless and hateful."

I found most residents of San Juan are very nice people, except for those that work at the airport.

For those of you that live in San Juan, please don't take offense to this post. We really enjoyed San Juan and sailing from there, just not fond of the airport.

Tim

What's the procedure for getting off the ship early enough to catch an 11 am flight?

Some say that it depends on when you are flying out of San Juan. Saturday seems to be less busy than Sunday at the airport. Debarkation starts when the ship has been cleared. That means it could be as early as 7:30-8:00 or as late as 9:00AM.

We flew out of SJU last April and we were off the ship by 9:00. You will have to give your airline info midway through the cruise and this will determine what color luggage tags you receive and where you will meet the morning of debarkation. You can change these tags the night before if you want to be off the ship earlier.

Groups are led off by their colored tags. You claim your luggage in the terminal and then go through Customs and Immigration and out the door to waiting taxis.

To go to the SJU airport it will cost you $19 for the taxi and $1 for each piece of luggage. All taxis charge the same.

Depending on traffic it should take no more than 20-25 minutes from the port to the airport. Once there you will have to take all luggage and go through the USDA x-ray machines for inspection. Once completed a yellow sticker will be affixed to your luggage and this will not enable you to go to your respective airlines and check your bags.

If there are many ships disembarking pax, this is where you could encounter a long line and lose valuable time here.

I would never book a flight before noon no matter what port I am disembarking in. No need to end a perfectly great cruise with a stressful day trying to return home.

What's the procedure for getting off the ship early enough to catch an 11 am flight?

When you do your online check-in there will be a field for travel plans. You will be able to indicate your flight# and departure time. A few days before the end of the cruise you will receive luggage tags and instructions on the time and place to meet for disembarkation. (You may be asked to confirm your info. while on the ship prior to receiving instructions or you can stop by the main desk to confirm your need for an early departure time.)

When you do your online check-in there will be a field for travel plans. You will be able to indicate your flight# and departure time. A few days before the end of the cruise you will receive luggage tags and instructions on the time and place to meet for disembarkation. (You may be asked to confirm your info. while on the ship prior to receiving instructions or you can stop by the main desk to confirm your need for an early departure time.)

You actually have to supply that information midway through the cruise. Filling in the information on line does not require flight details therefore this will not get you your luggage tags for disembarking the ship.

The information requested on the form that will be delivered to cabins midway through the week are names, flight number and departure time. This is what determines what color luggage tags you receive.

You will receive a Departure form the night prior to debarkation that lists all the times of departure by colored tag and where to assemble. It's at this time that you may go and switch to a different colored tag that represents an earlier debarkation time.

Archived