What can I expect from an inside statroom?

okiediver

I am considering the Mexico cruise on Rhapsody in October. I have 2 teenagers that will share our room.

I cant tell from the pics what the size is like...can someone give me some input as to whether or not this room willl suffice? How are these "upper bunks"? Or should I get something else? Cost is an issue.

Thanks so much!

We have friends with 2 teenagers who did the 7 day Eastern in an inside room with upper bunks. It was on the Celebrety Century, but I think they are all basically the same. The only thing they complained about was that they wished they'd have kept the lower twin beds against the walls rather than pushed together to make a queen size. This was due to walking room. They have booked another cruise with 4 to a room again this year.

I am sure that other people will think that this isn't the way to go, but in my humble opinion, you are really not in the room enough to make it that uncomfortable. Is it "cozy?" Of course, but it is not horrible. Save your money for excursions. You will have a wonderful time.

Michelle

check out the pictures of the room on rccl.com. There seems to be three different size inside staterooms. It will be pretty tight but I know other families you have done the same thing. I guess if you wouldn't be able to go on the cruise due to cost I say take the room and have fun. We do spend time in our room but alot of people just sleep and change their clothes so while it may be "cozy" you'll have a blast on the ship.

The primary concern is space when all four are using the room. If you are on different schedules (one early, one middle, one late) then it is doable. If you are on the same schedule (get up around the same time, go to bed around the same time, etc) then you will find it difficult. The room is cozy for two to move around in and three would be near impossible. There just isn't enough floor space. Also, when it comes to showering/changing for dinner or getting ready in the morning, there isn't enough room unless you do it in stages.

Otherwise, if you aren't going the use the room much, then it is okay. We did it on our first cruise and knew that we didn't want to do it on the second cruise and we are only two.

Can you ask your TA how much would it cost ro book a 2nd inside cabin?

We decided to book 2 cabins across the hall from each other (one for us and one for my 2 daughters) for less than $200 (the difference between a 3rd and 4th person in the same cabin is not much different than getting another cabin).

My family and I don't plan on spending much time in our rooms either, but just the convenience of 2 showers, 8 pieces of luggage stored away (4 in each room now), and no lowered bunks, as well as the thought of not tripping over the kids clothes and stuff (mine don't usually pick up after themselves) will make my trip most enjoyable. Also, my husband and I get a chance to enjoy the cruise ALONE, at least during bedtime hours. ;) :o :p

I am considering the Mexico cruise on Rhapsody in October. I have 2 teenagers that will share our room.

I cant tell from the pics what the size is like...can someone give me some input as to whether or not this room willl suffice? How are these "upper bunks"? Or should I get something else? Cost is an issue.

Thanks so much!

I was on the vision in a inside room with 2 people it was not bad at all, in the room next to ours there were 4 people and they said it was tight but ok. They dressed in shifts and it took some planning to get ready for dinner at the same time.

Only you really know what you can afford to do and if this is the only way to go on a cruise go for it, and save your money for fun stuff. we spent very little time in our room so the small size really did not matter. just go on the cruise and have fun and if you trip all over each other , its just part of the fun.

Bob

The upper bunks are fairly small, really meant for kids. I had to sleep on one during one cruise, but my son is huge (6'4") and no way could he have slept up there. We ended up putting a mattress on the floor and that is where my husband slept. If your teens are small, it could work. The biggest issue will be the bathroom, it is impossible to fit 2 people in there at a time, except when one is in the shower. Your week will consist of battling over the bathroom and trying to keep order in a very small space. I have to agree with the above poster, do not try to keep the lower beds together, or you will not have space to stand up in the cabin.

These cabins are between 135 and 150 sq. ft., smaller than your average secondary bedroom and the space does include the bathroom and closet. The closet is about the size of a coat closet. The drawers are about the size of nightstands, there are usually 3 or 4 of these. Pack very light, agree on the same toiletries and keep your sense of humor, you may be able to pull it off.

After sharing a cabin with our kids a few times, we will never do it again. If we can't afford 2 cabins, we won't go. It is really worth the extra $$ to have the space and the extra bathroom. The only problem we have had with our kids in an adjacent cabin is trying to keep them organized, they tend to slob out on a cruise.

Hi,

I was in the same predicament as you. I finally decided to purchase 2 inside staterooms with a connecting door. Even among the closest families 2 bathrooms and everyone with their own bed helps. My teens are going to be 14 and 17. I never thought about the bunks for height. Glad I made the decision to get two. You really want this to be a great vacation. If sharing is all you can afford then just book one cabin. Time together doing anything like this is what counts. Have a GREAT time.:D :D :) :p

On our last cruise we took our 17 DS - We booked at least 8 months before the cruise and could not get a room with the upper bunks - they ended up bringing in a bed on the floor for him - tight but you can do it. My DS was never in the room when we were. Slept in - out late and usually ate with his new friends. I can't wait until we cruise again without the kids - will be able to get a balcony.

We were booked for an inside once (4 people) and did some checking after I got a C&A magazine that had a coupon for our sailing. I cancelled our cabin and rebooked for 2 cabins. It was an inexpensive sailing for the first 2 but not a great deal of discount for the 3rd & 4th. They let us apply the coupon to 2 inside cabins (since my wife & I are both members) and it actually worked out to be cheaper that way than just having all 4 of us in one cabin. And for those wondering, the price for the first 2 in a cabin hadn't changed.

-Monte

The very first cruise DH and I took was on Soverign with our two teens in an inside cabin with upper bunks. It was cozy but we had a great time. First, remember its dark all the time so you can't rely on sunshine to help you know what time it is so I would recommend taking a clock. The only other "problem" we encountered was getting everybody showered and ready for dinner (we did the dining room every night). We'd make dad get ready and then toss him out and the girls and I would then get dressed. One issue that did not make my hubby happy was that in order to have more floor room we kept the twin beds under the bunks so we didn't sleep together. It was fun and much less expensive than getting the girls a room of their own.

I read from another post where a family used the workout lockers to shower and shave.

For example. if you had first sitting. The teenagers or adults could enjoy a late workout in the gym. Then steam bath, sauna, shave, shower while the other two where getting ready in the room.

That would help getting ready for dinner in shifts.

It is always easier for the gentlemen to get ready in the locker room. Ladies need the extra room and time for make up,hair style,finger nail polish. L.O.L.

If you didn't want to do a work out you could go from the pool or hot tub to the locker.

Hope this suggestion helps you out.

We took a cruise on the Mariner recently, and shared a inside cabin with our 15 year old son. Yes, it was a little crowded, but it was doable.

We didn't personally do this, but I've read about other people using the showers at the fitness center in the morning, when getting ready for dinner, etc. With 4 people and only 1 bathroom, I can see where this could be helpful.

edit: oops, sorry I just saw that the poster above recommended this too!

Cozy it might be, but who cares, you are only in there to get dressed and sleep. Save your money on the excursions and other fun things!

That's what we said till our first balcony cruise - now we won't go back. If you can at all afford a balcony, you'll love it. It becomes your own private deck space and you'll find yourself spending lots of time there. Very possible one or more kids will even want to sleep out there leaving you more room inside!

My father owned a travel agency and had a poster up over his desk that we found that rang soooo true....If you can afford to go first class and don't - your heirs will.

I'm looking at my notes now and there was a $179 difference between the 4 of us in an inside cabin as opposed to one outside cabin (for my husband and I) and an inside cabin directly across the hall for our daughters (there we no connecting rooms available). We opted for the lowest priced rooms (we didn't find it in our budget to go with similar rooms on a higher deck) so the lowest priced inside and outside cabins worked best for us.

At the advice of our TA, we booked the two rooms exactly how she presented the idea to us (gotta love her). Not only did I go from the 4 of us in one inside cabin, but now my husband and I have a window and our own room. To me, the extra $200 is worth it. My girls take FOREVER in the bathroom getting ready, we fully expect to eat in the dining room every night, and, not only that, my husband can take an afternoon nap without us barging in on him. :rolleyes:

Hello,

I myself have never been in an inside cabin, but I read on these boards a wonderful trick to do if you need sunshine. Some ships have a bridge cam that shows where the ship is heading. You can leave your TV on to that channel at night, then when you wake up in the morning, you can see where you are and you'll have a little light, too. Try it.

Sarah

We've done four in a cabin on Disney, but those cabins are a bit larger. No real issues for us with that arrangement. We too are looking at Rhapsody in October, but we'll be having three in the cabin. There are some pretty good ideas here...just be flexible and plan ahead as needed. Everything will be fine.

I have 3 pictures on www.Webshots.com do a search on "Larger inside cabin #4455, cat k" to get a good idea of a larger inside cabin on the Rhapsody.

We've done a small inside cabin with 4 on Celebrity Horizon... yeeeeouch! that was tight! And my kids were 6 & 9yo! We also did 4 on the Disney Wonder (outside stateroom) and due to the room size, that was fine! Now we make "shared" arrangements with cousins and generally have 2 adults & youngest child in 1 room, 2 adults in a second room... they are the lucky ones ;) , and 3 young teen cousins in a third room!

If you could at all swing it, I'd let the teens have an inside, and you get you own room... preferably an outside one ;)

Just mho... good luck!

A

First, whatever you do go for it and have a great time!!!! Obviously, money counts, and you do what is best for you and your family. I am sure if you could afford two cabins you would.

Now to respond. We took our two college-aged kids on the Majesty several years ago. We have a son and daughter - son was over 6 foot - football player - just a big kid. He had absolutely no problem sleeping on the upper pullman bunk - They are exactly the same size as the lower ones - same mattress, etc. I do not feel that they are "meant for kids" as someone mentioned. Our daughter was also quite comfortable. We had our beds made as bunks below the kids - so we had bunk beds - we did not try for a queen configuration.

Our kids are jocks, used to the Y, locker rooms, etc. No one in the family is "shy" so running around in underwear was not a problem - bathroom was tight, however, the guys often showered and changed at the workout facility after then had finished working out.

The kids had a great time on the cruise - enough so that they have cruised since then. It can be done - we laugh about it now - funds are not quite so tight and we have since "graduated" to balcony rooms - it would be hard to go back to an inside, however, I would do that rather than not cruise. I also would not hesitate to share a cabin again.

Good luck - just be patient, organized, and have a sense of humor - you will laugh about it years from now (we do).

DH and I always shared a cabin with our girls when they were teens. And I wouldn't have had it any other way! The family time was wonderful and to this day the girls tell wonderful stories of our "cramped quarters" and bedtime sharing sessions where we did the "Goodnight, John Boy" routine and relived our adventures of the day. Dressing was done in sessions. DH and I would get up and ready first and then go get AM coffee while the girls got ready and then we would all breakfast together. We did late seating for dinner and again would ready in shifts. DH and I first again and then off to our favorite bar for a pre-dinner drink or glass of wine while girls dressed. Then we would all meet for dinner.

Having the girls in a separate cabin would not have provided this kind of family time. As for the oft mentioned privacy for adults in the 2 cabin vacation, there is plenty of time for privacy every other day of the year. And the teens grow up way too fast - after which, again, there is plenty of time for privacy.

Now mind you, my girls are 5'1" and 5'2" so I can't speak to whether 6'+ would be a problem or not. ;)

My husband is 6'4". He always hangs off a little.:p

The inside rooms are smaller than the balcony rooms. If you could come up with a few extra $$$, it could give you a little more floor space to move around. I think the beds are set up so you can put your luggage under the beds during the cruise.

Archived