Cruise Insurance -- Get It or Lose It?

ikajus

So...what happens when you want to buy your insurance prior to the final pay dat, but loooong after the intial payment? I went to insuremytrip and there were a lot of specifications about if this was purchased within 14 days of initial payment. I probably look as dumb as I feel right now...I just couldn't find out what that meant. Thanks for your input...Nancy

Nancynurse:

No problem. You can still buy insurance. You just don't get the "preexisting medical condition" waiver. Everything else is identical.

screenname2004:

In a word, No. Insurance generally will only allow you to cancel with a refund if your traveling companion (usually defined as the person in the room with you) has to cancel for a covered reason.

Well it sure pays to read these boards :). Just booked a 2006 cruise to Hawaii and figured the fastest way to get started on solving the travel insurance dilema was to "cruise the critic" and sure enough! The tip site referred to by CaribbeanBound was good information and the following site is great for comparing several different companies and their policies: www.totaltravelinsurance.com/travel-insurance-product-list.asp?c=150

We were advised to look for pre-existing availability, cancellation coverage due to weather and medical coverage that is primary. The comparison charts at this site make it very easy to pick out the things you need and compare across the page. Thanks again for making a sticky problem easier to manage.

Dawn

• 2 weeks later...

Should I also include the cost of excursions, when getting insurance for my trip? The dolphin discovery we had to pay in full, and we only get full refunds 7 days in advance. We have never gotten insurance before, but for a family of 5 this trip, I feel we need to protect ourselves.

i am in my 40s traveling with my aunt who is in her 70s. so i felt we needed insurance in case something happened to her........

I rupture a disc in my back , right before sailing on an 11 day balcony cruise. yes the insurance was very handy to have-even though i first purchased it for her not myself. better safe then sorry

"which would you rather pay for? $40 pp for the trip insurance or the full cost of having someone medi-evac'd off the ship by helicopter in case of a dire emeregency?". I figured the $80 was the way to go.

plus, since we have small kids (or those with older parents), it was a big seller when I found out that if anyone in our immediate family or our travelling companions' immediate family was very ill, we'd all have our trips covered and be able to go together at another time.

Let say I travel with a group and have purchased insurance. Will the insurance reimburse my travel expenses if some members of the group can not make the trip and I don't want to go ahead with the trip?

ours does, provided that it's a medical reason for either our travel companions or their/our immediate family. we have "travel safe" insurance... http://www.travelsafe.com.

• 2 months later...

Archived