Why does the room key open a deadbolted door?

NewHere

A spin off of the bathroom threads - I cannot for the life of me understand why a key would open a deadbolted door - that kind of defeats the purpose of the deadbolt.

Certainly prevents mom and dad sharing a room with the kids from having any privacy:D

This seems like a design flaw rather than an innovation.

Can anyone explain?

That's the only thing that I hated about the room. Everyone talks about privacy in the shower or toilet and the response has always been to pull the curtain (and expect others to honor that partition) and to lock the door so nobody walks in on you. If the key opens the bolt, why is there a bolt at all? I'm with you... I'd love to know the logic behind this.

I have a feeling this is a design flaw the goes beyond just one cruiseline. I was able to open the cabin door when my room-mate had the deadbolt on on a HAL cruise. I wonder if the door design is the same for all/most cruiselines?

I think the key is to remember to switch to "do not disturb" and let your room-mate(s) know that if they see that to not enter the cabin. This should prevent both room-mate(s) and your cabin steward from entering at the wrong time.

I'm an engineer so, of course, I have this nagging need to know the answer and to design a solution. I doubt that the designers would have thought this far ahead but it sure would be interesting if there was a position sensor on the room indicator such that the key would open the deadbolt only when the indicator was set to "please make-up room", "please turn down room" or "Welcome" and would NOT undo the deadbolt if it were set to "Do Not Disturb". Perhaps someone on a future cruise could test this. I would be shocked if it were true.

I'm an engineer so, of course, I have this nagging need to know the answer and to design a solution. I doubt that the designers would have thought this far ahead but it sure would be interesting if there was a position sensor on the room indicator such that the key would open the deadbolt only when the indicator was set to "please make-up room", "please turn down room" or "Welcome" and would NOT undo the deadbolt if it were set to "Do Not Disturb". Perhaps someone on a future cruise could test this. I would be shocked if it were true.

It will be for emergency reasons. If someone has dead bolted their room and falls ill or worse........dies

It will be for emergency reasons. If someone has dead bolted their room and falls ill or worse........dies

Then why have one? Every hotel in the world has deadbolts that cannot be opened with a key-that is their entire purpose.

I think the key is to remember to switch to "do not disturb" and let your room-mate(s) know that if they see that to not enter the cabin. This should prevent both room-mate(s) and your cabin steward from entering at the wrong time.

This should be fun to explain to the kids-please don't disturb because Mom and Dad.......are tkaing a nap?

Then why have one? Every hotel in the world has deadbolts that cannot be opened with a key-that is their entire purpose.

This should be fun to explain to the kids-please don't disturb because Mom and Dad.......are tkaing a nap? Perhaps you'll just have to abstain for a week ;)

So are you telling me if someone dies in a hotel room where the door is dead bolted then they just leave them there forever as there is no way of getting them out ?

Perhaps thats why it's called a dead bolt :D

So are you telling me if someone dies in a hotel room where the door is dead bolted then they just leave them there forever as there is no way of getting them out ?

Perhaps thats why it's called a dead bolt :D

Thank you for my afternoon chuckle! :p :D

This should be fun to explain to the kids-please don't disturb because Mom and Dad.......are tkaing a nap?

I've never seen a hotel room deadbolt that couldn't be opened with a key - it's just usually a different key than the keycard.

As for what you tell the kids, just be honest - that if they barge into the room without respectfully knocking first - or even just double checking for the 'do not disturb' sign, they may catch mom and dad being 'affectionate' (described however you might get the point across). NO kid wants to walk in on that!! :eek::p

I've never seen a hotel room deadbolt that couldn't be opened with a key - it's just usually a different key than the keycard.

As for what you tell the kids, just be honest - that if they barge into the room without respectfully knocking first - or even just double checking for the 'do not disturb' sign, they may catch mom and dad being 'affectionate' (described however you might get the point across). NO kid wants to walk in on that!! :eek::p

lol. OMG... my parents do THAT???? :eek: The kids will be in therapy for years.

That's actually how it works in the HC cabins. The HC cabins do not have a 'deadbolt', they have buttons by the desk for 'open' (to open the door) and 'lock/unlock.' When you press LOCK, it functions like the hotels, the room keys AND the Cabin Stewart keys are locked out.

The problem is (unlike a deadbolt), you can press 'lock' and then leave the room. If you do this (without pressing unlock), you can not get back into the room. The Cabin Stewart had to call Security for us, twice, to get back into the room.

I would expect the 'deadbolt' in the standard cabins to work like they do in hotels, they lockout the normal room keys and maid service, but can be opened by Security, or 'special' keys.

It sounds like the Deadbolt on these ships is just for looks? Does it at least lockout the Cabin Stewart? I guess I'd rather be 'surprised' by my kids than the Cabin Stewart. On second thought, I might prefer the Cabin Stewart, at least he can pay for his own therapy. :o

A spin off of the bathroom threads - I cannot for the life of me understand why a key would open a deadbolted door - that kind of defeats the purpose of the deadbolt.

Certainly prevents mom and dad sharing a room with the kids from having any privacy:D

This seems like a design flaw rather than an innovation.

Can anyone explain?

Sure thing. There's no deadbolt on the door.

There's a lock, to prevent someone kicking the door in, but it is connected to the keycard release.

If someone was afraid of the door opening while they're dressing, all they need to do is stand 1 step closer to the door...and it will be unable to open...unlocked, or not.

That's the only thing that I hated about the room. Everyone talks about privacy in the shower or toilet and the response has always been to pull the curtain (and expect others to honor that partition) and to lock the door so nobody walks in on you. If the key opens the bolt, why is there a bolt at all? I'm with you... I'd love to know the logic behind this.

There's a bolt, because it's the only lock.

There's a bolt, because it's the only lock.

Not totally true. The handle locks. Nobody can just wander in if you are in the room and DON'T apply the bolt.

Well, our door didn't close all the way, but that's another story for another time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived