Jamaica - Should Carnival take it off it's roster??

LCTXcruiser

Sometimes I think that the the main reason people do go to Jamaica is to find out for themselves how good/bad it is. I agree that you need to be wary anytime you're in another country, just for lack of American Laws.

When we made our stop in Cozumel, in one of the shops there was a sign posted saying "If you are caught shoplifting, you will have to pay double the price of the item". Two things immediately came to mind - As much as we're worried about getting messed over, they are too. Secondly, I'd much rather pay double than end up in a Mexican jail!!:)

But in Jamaica, we were getting messed over quite a bit. I hate to criticize an entire country for the actions of the people we encountered. Maybe it's just Mo Bay.

Sometimes I think that the the main reason people do go to Jamaica is to find out for themselves how good/bad it is. I agree that you need to be wary anytime you're in another country, just for lack of American Laws.

When we made our stop in Cozumel, in one of the shops there was a sign posted saying "If you are caught shoplifting, you will have to pay double the price of the item". Two things immediately came to mind - As much as we're worried about getting messed over, they are too. Secondly, I'd much rather pay double than end up in a Mexican jail!!:)

But in Jamaica, we were getting messed over quite a bit. I hate to criticize an entire country for the actions of the people we encountered. Maybe it's just Mo Bay.

Oh - and before I get blasted.... No! I would NEVER steal - LOL

I don't care one way or the other, but I do not get off the ship if I do happen to cruise t Jamaica. We have been there numerous times and it is a beautiful, poverty ridden island.

I would like to make one point regarding being safe on Carnival excursions.

On our last excursion to Dunn's River Falls, as we arrived in the parking lot a group of people immeditely surrounded the bus (the large Continenal Trailways size bus) and were shouting and waving signs and a few had automatic weapons. The guide was telling us not to worry, they were vendors who were angry and in a dispute with the Falls management and they did these protests only to garner attention from the government as it got immediate attention for their cause. They also said the guns were not loaded and no one ever got hurt in these protests. Maybe that is so, but it did not make any of us feel better. Then the group closed in and began to rock the bus. This definately did not make us feel secure ! The guide was insistent that we got off the bus and we would be fine. Needless to say, no one was budging. Finally, the police arrived, the group dispersed and we got off the bus.

I am not trying to fan any flames, but it should serve as a reminder that in countries where there is unrest, anything can happen. Desperate people do desperate things.

I try to avoid cruises to Jamaica but when we do sail one, I simply enjoy the quiet onboard, however, the ship is getting more crowded that it once was.

Won't even book a cruise with Jamaica on the itinerary.I'll be darned if they'll get port fees from me!

Why would I go somewhere that gay people (like myself) are risking being beaten or killed while the police either ignore it or encourage it? No thanks.Others can have that hell hole.

Should Jamaica be taken off the roster

Heck no! Ocho Rios was my favorite port stop on all my cruises. Went to Dunn River Falls & tubing down the White River. We booked a tour through a reputable tour operator ahead of time. We ended up being the only ones on the bus all day and got the royal treatment. I love Jamaica and want to go stay on the island for a week or two sometime.

Based on this thread the cruise lines would be an absolute IDIOT to stop going and might work out to be the best port from a business point of few.

You have people who LOVE it for the beaches, sex, drugs, food, and people

You have people who LOVE it for the beaches, sex, drugs, food and people

They are guarantee to have people staying on-bord running up bar tabs and spa bill while keeping an island many still find fascinating. From a business point of view, even someone with little business sense can understand why tourism in Jamaica has grown leaps and bounds over the last 2 decades. Compare the growth of other islands to Jamaica, resorts and cruise ships. What other island generates the response as Jamaica.

Twenty years ago the largest resort in Jamaica was the Sunset Jamacia Grande with 720 room, 15 stories. Today there are several Spanish resorts some with over 2000 rooms. There were few cruise ships docking into ports each week, a pleasnat experience. Today they are building a port for RCCL Monstrosity/Oasis of the Seas. Jamaica generates passion, passion generates business to somebody. The island was not meant for everyone to get off, some only once and others repeated. Do you think they are doing this to help the poor locals?

JAMAICA IS ABOUT PASSION...LOVE OR HATE IT WORKS FOR TOURISM. IF IT'S NOT FOR YOUR LEAVE AND FOR THOSE WHO LOVE IT. THE SELFISHNESS OF SOME PEOPLE AMAZES ME

Won't even book a cruise with Jamaica on the itinerary.I'll be darned if they'll get port fees from me!

Why would I go somewhere that gay people (like myself) are risking being beaten or killed while the police either ignore it or encourage it? No thanks.Others can have that hell hole.

It's truely sad that most of the comments on this forum are about the aggressive street vendors, and few seem to care at all about the major human rights violations.

Please elaborate. What human rights violations do you speak of?

Well the poster did reply to my statement:

Why would I go somewhere that gay people (like myself) are risking being beaten or killed while the police either ignore it or encourage it? No thanks.Others can have that hell hole

So my guess is that is at least partially to what they are referring.

We have been to Jamaica twice. On our first visit we took a Carnival Excursion and had no problems whatsoever. Really enjoyed the countryside and people. It must have been the fact that we were in a group because our second visit was just the opposite.

I booked a private tour with a recommended guide to go to the bird sanctuary. Starting out I should have taken the hint that this was not going to go well when the guide asked for more money than we had agreed upon. It was not a great amount, and my wife really wanted to see the Hummingbirds so off we went. The tour went great, my wife still talks about the Sanctuary to this day.

On the way back the guide wanted to take us shopping but we wanted to go back to the port. Then he asked for more money and said this was as far as he was going or pay him more. I had had enough. We got out about a mile from the port and decided to walk it back. Big mistake.

We had not gone a block before I been asked if I wanted to buy drugs and/or propositioned for sex. (in front of my wife) We were lucky to flag a cab who took us back to the Cruise Terminal. I never felt threatened but that definitely was not what I wanted to do on my Vacation. Maybe I am naive, but I don't think all poor nations are like that. We have traveled extensively in Mexico and have never had any problems. Although we would not go someplaces in Mexico now because of the Narco-terrorism situation.

We would go back to Jamaica again, and Carnival should still go there, but would book a Carnival excursion or stay on the ship. If you book your own tour - be wary.

It's truely sad that most of the comments on this forum are about the aggressive street vendors, and few seem to care at all about the major human rights violations.

IMHO, it is always going to be a case of how something impacts directly on the individual - for the majority of visitors it's aggressive vendors, personal safety and being harassed that are issues of concern.

Personally I would be happy to see Jamaica remain on the itinerary - I wouldn't set foot on the island but I wouldn't want to deny others the opportunity to visit. It also means that there are less cruise ships crowding out my favourite islands elsewhere in the caribbean :-)

Like it or not, many of the toursits here feel the same way but express it differently. Many are from a Christian background with a moral objection to homosexuality. What your fellow Americans care about/love is well stated.....sex, drugs, weed, vendors. If you have a right to choose your partner, then maybe everyone should have a right to book and cruise to a destination of their choice based on their style. It's about freedom to choose. Should cruises go there...YES...should everyone get off NO. Should you have a same sex partner...YES, should I...No. The treatment of homosexuals is unacceptable but it won't be addressed here. Hmmm before looking too far, peek at the pros in CA. Maybe the Ja'vans are still following the US lead in away...maybe!

I only skimmed previous posts, but of all the places I have visited, both for land and cruise vacations, this was my least favorite. We visited on a cruise and did a Carnival excursion. Although nothing happened, we just felt uneasy the entire time. We would never have felt safe to venture off and I didn't think the island had anything "that" special to offer so as to overlook its shortcomings.

I know that for any future cruise/vacation, if Jamaica is on the itinerary, then I will not be.

I also noticed on the port of call section where it just has caribbean island postings and there is a post about favorite/least favorite ports, Jamaica seems to be leading by far in the least favorite category.

I say leave it, but be careful if you go there! As for me and my DH we will never book a cruise that has it as one of the ports of call. We travel a lot and have been to some interesting places and some that would be considered unsafe, but the only time I felt we were not safe was in Jamaica!!!

We have also been to jamaica (once a land vacation and the rest on cruises). On the land vacation we stayed at a 4 star resort and were told not to be on the beach after 10pm because an armed guard with a dog would be walking the beach area and saw armed guards walking the property and golf course after dusk. While on that trip, my husband was offered drugs and women numerous times. When we travel to jamaica on a cruise we do not get off the ship. Have talked to other passangers who have ventured out and heard some real frightening stories. Think the ships should still go there but we personally do not get off at jamaica.

Zozza, if you book thru Carnival, I see no problem. I have been to Jamaica twice, and booked three different excursions, all thru Carnival and felt safe. They do have armed guards at the gates exiting the terminal, but that is for your safety, and other ports have them as well. I would not let other posters deter your trip. I actually thought the people in Progresso were way pushier than Jamaica. JMHO

Wow I was going to book the Bob Marley tour through Carnival, has anyone done this tour and felt unsafe? Im a bit worried about this now.

There is an open smoke shop, product offered but not forced. The presence of weed makes a lot of people feel unsafe. What is your definition of unsafe: presence of poor, blacks, weed, poverty, aggressive vendors, sex. Feeling unsafe is like feeling loved, it works differently for everyone. I do not feel safe in Virgina because of one incident. NY City, I won't even consider.

Nine Miles is outside of the tourist rubbish that goes on in Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. You will come across kids who have never seen or interacted with a white person. Locals who shy away from you out of uncertainty, while other embraces you with warmth.

I saw this headline a few years ago, and have never been interested in going back-

Jamaica wants to bring back hanging The Jamaican Government, facing a big rise in the number of murders, has proposed a constitutional amendment to bring back hanging... http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/12/23/1040511010180.html

Archived