Viewing the penguins on Magdalena Island...

JudeeJim

We have scheduled an excursion to Magdalena Penguin Reserve and I have a couple of questions.

The excursion shows about 3/4 mile walk on a graded path, not paved. I have had a hip replacement and knee replacement within the last year. Can anyone explain what problems I might have walking on uneven ground? Do you think walking sticks would be a good idea?

Also any suggestions as to the type of clothes to wear? I am sure layering is the best bet but anyone know just what kind of weather to expect?

Oh, and if you are on the same cruise on HAL leaving Valparaiso on November 26, 2010 how about joining the Roll Call for this cruise?

Judee

We went to Magdalena Island in March, 2009 on our cruise around Cape Horn. I don't think you will have any trouble walking the path, but I don't think it would hurt to take a walking stick, just in case. It is sandy, but I don't remember it being terribly uneven and you can go at your own pace. It doesn't seem like a long walk because we stopped all the time looking at the penguins.

It was not cool when we went, we wore a jacket, but not unpleasant at all. I loved Magdalena Island and the penguins. They have the cutest personalities!

You see penguins the minute you get on the island, so if the walk is not good for you I don't think you will be disappointed. When we got off the ferry, there were penguins and there were penguins all the way to the lighthouse and we went late in the season.

We were supposed to go on our cruise around Cape Horn in January, 2009, but after boarding the ship we learned that my Mom passed away. After getting our insurance settled and all we booked again in March.

We went to Magdalena Island in March, 2009 on our cruise around Cape Horn. I don't think you will have any trouble walking the path, but I don't think it would hurt to take a walking stick, just in case. It is sandy, but I don't remember it being terribly uneven and you can go at your own pace. It doesn't seem like a long walk because we stopped all the time looking at the penguins.

It was not cool when we went, we wore a jacket, but not unpleasant at all. I loved Magdalena Island and the penguins. They have the cutest personalities!

You see penguins the minute you get on the island, so if the walk is not good for you I don't think you will be disappointed. When we got off the ferry, there were penguins and there were penguins all the way to the lighthouse and we went late in the season.

We were supposed to go on our cruise around Cape Horn in January, 2009, but after boarding the ship we learned that my Mom passed away. After getting our insurance settled and all we booked again in March.

Thank you for answering my question about Magdalena Island. I have a feeling I will do ok even without the walking stick. I plan on layering my clothes. It doesn't get so terribly cold in Portland, Oregon so did pick up a couple of waterproof parkas. The nice thing about the parkas is I bought them at a consignment store. One was an Eddie Bauer and the other a brand from England and made of material similar to Gor-Tex and the best thing was they were half price for $3.50 each. Both were in excellent condition. I am looking forward to seeing and photographing the penquins.

Judee

Thank you for answering my question about Magdalena Island. I have a feeling I will do ok even without the walking stick. I plan on layering my clothes. It doesn't get so terribly cold in Portland, Oregon so did pick up a couple of waterproof parkas. The nice thing about the parkas is I bought them at a consignment store. One was an Eddie Bauer and the other a brand from England and made of material similar to Gor-Tex and the best thing was they were half price for $3.50 each. Both were in excellent condition. I am looking forward to seeing and photographing the penquins.

Judee

You are welcome! We loved our cruise around Cape Horn and I think you will also.

Archived