Golfing in Cozumel and Caymen

NannyJan

Are there no ship excursions for golf? We are going April 9, 2005 out of New Orleans on Grandeur and the guys want to play...anyone know of courses or where to go?

Thanks so much...these boards are great!

NannyJan

Don't know about Grand Cayman but there is a good golf course in Playacar (Playa del Carmen) a short ferry ride from Cozumel. It is owned and/or operated by Palace Resorts. Check the RCI excursion board and see if it is offered on their Golf Ahoy? package.

Are there no ship excursions for golf? We are going April 9, 2005 out of New Orleans on Grandeur and the guys want to play...anyone know of courses or where to go?

Thanks so much...these boards are great!

NannyJan

I signed up for a golf excursion in Nassau through RCI while on the Sovereign a few years ago, got confirmation and instructions as to where to meet etc. the night before and a note on my door the next morning that the excursion had been cancelled due to lack of participants.

Your guys might want to do some research on the internet and arrange something on their own.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

We are golfing at a course in Cozumel on May 2, 2005. We booked it through Royal Caribbean. The couse is Cozumel Country Club. It is a world-class championship golf course and is designed by Jack Nicklaus. It is fairly pricey, but seems like it is worth the rate.

Sheffie--We've been there--it's beautiful! Plus, they have $1 jell-o shots and will bring drinks to your putting hole via walkie talkies.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/212146923/279488318VYxjkJ

http://community.webshots.com/photo/212146923/279487198ikmVoV

Oh, My Goodness! Walkie talkie booze communication. . . That is too funny! Talk about those crazy cruising tourists! ;)

NannyJan,

We booked a golf excursion in Cozumel through the ship (we were on Rhapsody) to the Cozumel Country Club and had a great time. The golf course is cut through a jungle, and we saw three big crocodiles, iguanas, and lots of pretty birds. You can probably tell - one of us was golfing and one of us was driving the cart and enjoying the scenery. The group ahead of us had wild pigs on the fairway on one hole. A man in that group hit his ball near a crocodile, and thought he could retrieve it. When he walked toward the crocodile, the croc hissed and snapped and made a run at the man. The croc kept the ball.

We were put in a foursome with Captain Johnny of the Mariner and one of his officers, Jim, the facilities manager. I made a complete fool of myself. The Captain just introduced himself as "Johnny". When I mentioned to Jim, the facilities manager, what a big responsibility that job must be, "Johnny" said, "He has good people like me working for him." A little later, making conversation, I said to "Johnny", "So, you work in facilities management for Jim?" He turned around, looked at me, and said, "No, I drive the boat." Then he grinned and walked off. My mouth fell open and I know I looked like an idiot. I pulled my hat down over my face and told my husband I wasn't going to say another word the rest of the day!

Be aware that nothing is included in the golf package except the golf game and transportation to and from the golf course. My husband paid to rent clubs and bought balls - lots and lots of balls. You cannot retrieve them from the water hazards or from the jungle. We also had to purchase bottled water, although they did ice it down in a little ice chest.

The golf course is not quite as nice as we are used to. The grass was thin, and the ground was hard. The balls would run and run. We figured out that about an inch under the grass was limestone, except on the greens.

Anyway, it was a great day and we had a lot of fun. My husband said the course is probably not worth the price, but the experience was.

Dollie

Thanks everybody for the info. We can't wait to try it out. Are any of you cruising with Royal on The Granduer on April 30? There are some really good deals on it because it is a repositioning from New Orleans to San Juan.

Sarah

Archived