ALTERNATIVE RESTAURANTS & Drinks

As a first time cruiser, I would like to experience the full gamut of what the cruise has to offer RCCL - Mariner of the Seas. I know there is an extra charge for these restuarants. How good are they.

Also are drinks extra in these restaurants. Do you have to pay extra for beer & wine on the cruise?

Advice is solicited :D

I have heard only wonderful things about the resturants that have an extra charge. Alot of my friends spend the formal nights at Portafinos. We decided that we enjoy the dining room and meeting new people. The food and service is apparently excellent. I guess it depends on how important it is to you. We always have a great time on RCCL and choose to keep out $40 for other things. Most of my friends slip an extra few bucks to the waiter as well.

Bajan Keith,

Yes the alternative restaurants are very good. Drinks are extra so for a couple it is very common to spend $75-$100 for dinner when you add the $20 charges per person, tip, and 2 drinks each or a bottle of wine. However, the experience in the dining room can actually be a preferred choice if you have a fun table and a good server. Last cruise we didn't go to any of the restaurants as we didn't want to miss out on the fun with our table. I love good food and consider myself pert near a foodie, and while very few people would put the dining room food in that class (I have to say that the appetizers are often the "peak" experience at dinner) a great meal often has more to do with the ambience than the actual food. In other words, if you don't go by no means will you miss the entire "gamut" that Mariner has to offer.

And if you like to drink, be prepared to spend triple digits on your bar bill for a week. Beer, wine, (even soda and bottled water) cost extra wherever you are, and RCCL prices are fairly high. There are ways to save a bit-buy beer in "buckets", get the wine and dine package if you like wine with dinner (but realize the cheapest wine is mid 20 range) and the selection of wine is minimal to say the least. A speciality drink with the fancy glass included is $7.95 to give you an idea.

I won't get into the whole smuggling thing, but someone else probably will. :D

Enjoy your cruise, the first is something you will always remember!

-Laurie

pack can beer in your cheeked luggage they will deliver it right to your room and they wont even know it is in there you can buy it befor you board the ship also you can get liquer in plastic bottles and smuggle that on this will lead to a huge saving if you are a drinker

We alway smuggle beer and rum on board, Make sure you bring a fold up cooler

the room steward will fill with Ice or Buy a bucket of beer and take the bucket to your room to fill with Ice. My husband loves beer before dinner and at the pool. Make sure you take the brand they serve if you plan on taking it into public

areas. My husband one time took a 18 pack of Coor gold and ship didn't serve no problem just drink in your room. Plactic water bottle or plactic bottles from the liquor store works great.

Good Luck don't worry we buy plenty of drinks on board for all you people ready to write that we are costing the ship $$$.

:eek:

Archived