Which island to skip an excursion, St Kitts or St Thomas

startpacking

Will be on the Carnival Victory and since the ship visits a port each day I really don't want excursions booked for each port. Which port is better to visit independently, St Kitts or St Thomas and which is the better port to join an excursion. Any suggestion/advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

We've flown to St. Kitts twice and, while it's a nice place to visit, we both enjoyed St. Thomas more.

Ride the tram up to the top of the mountain, take pictures of the scenery, and catch the bird show. Don't forget to have a "Bushwacker" at the bar there.

Catch a cab to Coki Beach and watch the fish swim around your feet in knee-deep water!

An inexpensive, fun-filled day is to be had in St. Thomas!

• 2 months later...

Im about to head to St Kitts for the first time so Im still exploring that island myself. However Ive been to St Thomas many times. When I think of St Thomas I think of 2 things, best shopping ever and awesome beaches/water. So not knowing what your interests are here are a few suggestions.

Ship ports just up the road from town so for about 3-4pp you can ride in and shop. The area borders the bay so the view is beautiful, so much you will want to jump in the water. When I say shopping...this is the place to spend the big buck on jewelry and electronics. We always buy our jewelry here if we are buying. It is shop after shop so it can be a bit overwhelming also. Beach...Magens or Sapphire are 2 great choices. However one of the best choices may be the ferry over to St John. Beautiful ride easy to do and go to Trunk bay. Shopping at the ferry stop in Mongoose Junction is nice and much smaller scale.

Moutain Top where they talk about the view had a fire and has been closed. Latest update is it will reopen Dec 1st.

I cant speak to tours as I always go it on my own in St Thomas, its one of my fav places.

We had posted some info (in a couple of threads) about Cockelshell Beach. This site has suffered a lot of damage due to recent heavy rains (the worst in decades) so you might want to consider alternative beaches. Our info is pretty current (we were there in mid-October) and there have been more heavy rains since our visit so its unlikely Cockelshell has been repaired.

Hank

Archived