Drive time? from tender drop off to Rum Point......

avvdixon

We're considering renting a car while in Grand Cayman so that we have the freedom to combine some snorkeling with seeing the island as well.

My question is: How long for a normal drive from George Town, or more specifically, where the cruise ships are tendered to, to Rum Point without stops? Yes, we plan on making stops, but need to know how long it takes so that we can determine how many stops are possible in out time frame.

This is our first cruise & first time in Grand Cayman. We'd love to do some diving but since our port time is only from 8-4, we'd rather come back and do an actual dive vacation when we can spend more time doing it. Plus, we'd also love to see some of the sights on the island and I'm not sure how long it will take to get off of the ship. We are adventurous, go-go-go type of people so I know we'll be trying to cram as much in as possible - that's just our style. We love the beach but don't need to spend hours laying in the sun - especially since we have other beach ports and will have other beach time.

So, any tips on your fave places to see and how much time are needed are appreciated. We'd love to make it to Rum Point, do some snorkeling, see the Botanic Gardens(how much time do people normally spend there?), Pedro St. James, and maybe some other stops.

Also, it's about a 40 minute drive from cruise pier to Turtle Farm, correct?

TIA for your help!

It takes about 45 minutes to get from George Town to Rum Point.

If coming by cruise ship and renting a car, add 10 minutes or so, maybe a bit longer, to get to/from the car rental places near the airport, plus time to stand in line at the counter. :D

Pedro St. James, the Botanical Gardens, and my secret fav, the extra-cheesy Pirate Caves, are along the way to Rum Point. Your touring time at any of those locations is going to vary depending on your interest level. You could spend a half hour or you could spend two or three, well, except for maybe the pirate caves...can't see spending more than an hour there at the very utmost.

If you take the long way to Rum Point, there are some blowholes that make a good photo op...as long as the wind is coming from the right direction. If there's no wind (and thus no waves) the blowholes are pretty boring.

It's a really scenic drive, and there's lots to see along the way...I never get tired of the drive. Just go with the flow and stop as the mood strikes you.

The Turtle Farm is about a 20 minute drive from the port area, in the opposite direction as Rum Point.

These times vary a bit depending on traffic, and your familarity/comfort with the roads, etc.

Thanks for the quick response!! I'm pleasantly suprised as I thought it would take longer :) I definitely think we'll be able to see some sights AND get some snorkeling in. I could spend lots of time at the Botanic Gardens, I'm sure, but due to our time constraints we'll just get a good feel for it and come back another time to enjoy it more fully (I earned this cruise but have always planned on coming to the Caymans for a good diving trip in the future).

When we were on our honeymoon, one of our favorite days in Cozumel was spent driving around the island and stopping at the pretty beaches, sites, or whenever we needed a refreshment :D Looking forward to doing the same in Grand Cayman. I've seen some restaraunt ideas, but if you have a fave you'd like to share, I'd love to hear it.

I'm pleasantly suprised as I thought it would take longer.

Keep in mind that the 45 minutes is without stopping, normal middle-of-the-day traffic, taking the shortest route to Rum Point. It can take longer if you go the long way, or if you get stuck behind a dump truck, which we seem to at least once on every trip to/from town. :D

I've seen some restaraunt ideas, but if you have a fave you'd like to share, I'd love to hear it.

What type of restaurant or food are you looking for? On the way to Rum Point, two we've enjoyed are The Lighthouse - http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_detail.asp?restaurantID=137 - and Over The Edge, which doesn't seem to have a listing. Those are two very different experiences, but both good in their own way. There's lots of others to choose from, though...

Watch out for time difference in the morning - it cost us an extra hour last week in picking up our car. Add time for taking a taxi up to 7MB to pick up the car, returning thru G'town traffic, getting used to driving on the left, traffic circles, etc.

I'm notorious for pushing things to the last minute so I'll make sure to add extra time as cruises are completely unforgiving! My DH is much better at time management, so he'll balance me out :)

Thanks for the tip on the time difference. So, when I make the car reservation, you're saying to make sure I give them island time, not cruise ship time, correct?

We have round-abouts in our city (I actually love them & think they're much better than traffic lights!) and have driven in Ireland so we're a little practiced on the left hand of the road - DH even did it with a stick shift!! I made the reservation w/o even thinking about the shift being on the left side - ooops :o

Rental cars vary. Some are right hand drive and others are American style left hand drive. Many of the right hand drive cars have speedometers in Kilometers per hour. Our speed limits are posted in miles per hour - try to keep up with the car in front of you.

One of my favorite lunch stops is Miss Vivines Kitchen in Gun Bay. Home cooking and a fabulous view. It is on the southeast tip of the island on the "long way around" to Rum Point. Frequently the timing of a Rum Point Drive doesn't put you in Gun Bay around lunch time.

Request your pick up at THEIR opening time........ship time was an hour ahead of their time, so we got to the rental ofc an hour early. You won't have to rush to get tendered, out of the dock area and over to the rental office - stop and pick up some cold drinks and snacks along the way, etc.

I appreciate all of the help. I wish I had the time (and room) to eat my way around the island. We live in central U.S. so FRESH seafood is a TREAT!! Miss Vivene's sounds wonderful and if we make stops at a few places on the way, we could be there right on time for lunch :)

• 2 weeks later...

Its been more than 5 years, but we rented from Cico Avis Grand Cayman Car Rental - see aviscayman.com - they have a cruise passenger special. They had a shuttle pick us up just a few blocks from the tender pier - by the Blue Iguana.

Archived