Shore excursions appropriate for 3 1/2 year old (& 8 month old) - Cozumel/Cayman

We are going on the Grandeur 9/20, 5 nights.......looking for excursions at both Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Any advice on what would be appropriate/fun for us and our kids (mostly the toddler....obviously our infant son will not be participating in anything, no matter what we do). We realize many excursions have a minimum age requirement, and some we wouldn't be interested in (like small snorkeling boats that may not have shade for our baby).

Anyway, we have a 3 1/2 year old and an 8 month old, and will not be leaving either on the ship....we want to stay together as a family. Right now we are looking at the dolphin encounter and turtle farm at Grand Cayman, but it says the minimum age is 3. That is only for participation, correct, and we can still bring our infant with us?

For Cozumel, we're looking for a snorkel/beach break. We're looking mostly at the Playa Mia Deluxe Beach Break, but would like to find out if this is a good area for snorkeling AND if there are "snorkeling boards" available for my daughter (the 3 1/2 year old) to use, as she will not be comfortable enough in the water to truly snorkel.

We'd love any advice you pro-cruisers have!! This is our first cruise.......I've been told over and over that taking little ones on a cruise is NOT a good idea, especially on this particular ship, but this cruise was a gift and wasn't planned by us. We will make the most of it and will have fun because we'll be together as a family! :)

First - Welcome to Cruise Critic! Have you cruised before? You'll find more general information about each port in the forums for each. Also, check out the forum for Family Cruising:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=7&f=49

My suggestion for each port is to avoid a ship's excursion unless one really interests you. In both of these ports, you can easily arrange to do something on your own, especially if you want to go to a beach and swim, relax, etc. Plus, when you're on your own, you can go back to the ship when you choose and not have to wait until the excursion ends and the group is herded back to the ship.

In Cozumel, we always go to a local beach on our own- Paradise Beach. After exiting the ship, walk through the port shopping area to the taxi stand. Taxis are regulated- you should be told the price up front. Taxi to Paradise, pay the small fee for lounges and umbrellas, and enjoy your day. You can also buy food and beverages there.

Grand Cayman is trickier in that you must tender first. And after docking, the locals fill the vans before they'll leave for a local beach. You might just want to walk around town there and then enjoy the empty cruise ship.

For kids: I've never heard of a snorkel board- what a great idea! I do recommend that you bring inflatable beach toys plus maybe even bucket, shovel, etc to entertain the toddler. I recommend water shoes for all of you (except the 8 month old LOL) as sometimes beaches can be a little rocky.

• 11 months later...

They said it wasn't a problem for our son to participate (9 months at the time). We were completely unprepared because we thought he wouldn't be able to, so he was grumpy the whole time (no swim diaper, hungry, tired). We didn't have to pay for him, obviously. Our daughter was 3 1/2 at the time and LOVED it.

Our youngest daughter has sailed to Cozumel and Cayman at both the ages of 4 months and 2 years. So, we've BTDT. ;)

At 4 m/o we brought her to Margaritaville in Grand Cayman which is a short walk from the tender pier. They have a rooftop pool with nice little "cabanas" (shaded) and we were able to enjoy a nice few hours there (she did not swim, although she could have). The second time around we did Stingray City with Capt. Marvin's. She loved the boat and did swim with the rays but we really couldn't do much with her at the the other snorkeling stops. So I wouldn't really recommend that one for you at this time. 7 mile beach might be a good option for you in Cayman.

In Cozumel when she was 4 months we rented a car and drove the island (we brought her car seat along). Again it was nice to get to see the sights but not too much we could do. We stopped at a couple of beach clubs for food and a short snorkel but I stayed with her onshore. At 2 we went to Nachi Cocom, which was a great experience. They even had sand toys for her to play and we loved having the freshwater pool to cool off in as well. I would think that any of the beach clubs you are loooking at like Playa Mia would be a good choice. I would not think they have snorkeling boards though.

For sweettxcruiser04, if the excursion you are looking at is offered through the ship, no any children under 3 are not permitted to go, period, not even to observe. Although you could probably book the same experience directly yourself and might be able to bring the little one, it all depends on the company. (We encountered that, all of the stingray city excursions through the ship were ages 5 and up, so we just booked on our own!)

hope that helps a bit! :)

They said it wasn't a problem for our son to participate (9 months at the time). We were completely unprepared because we thought he wouldn't be able to, so he was grumpy the whole time (no swim diaper, hungry, tired). We didn't have to pay for him, obviously. Our daughter was 3 1/2 at the time and LOVED it.

So you booked through Royal Caribbean and were able to take your 9 month old to the dolphin encounter?

And i'm glad to hear you enjoyed Nachi with a 2 year old. We have already reserved and I have only heard GREAT things about it but nothing from anyone with a little one. Thanks!

We have been to the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman and will likely take DS there when we are in Grand Cayman. The day we are in Grand Cayman will be DS's 1st birthday. I looked up the Turtle Farm's website and they have one or two shuttles daily to and from the Turtle Farm from the Cruise Dock. We were going to do this as that way if something comes up and DS is just not going to cooperate we can change plans at the last minute without losing any money. If we need to leave before the next shuttle we will just use a taxi to get back.

In Cozumel we are planning on going to Nachi Cocum for a nice beach day.

Archived