Boston, MA and Portland, ME docking questions

bjboothman

We are on the Carnival Triumph on September 17. Should I expect to dock or tender at these ports?

How far is the port from any downtown area where we might do some sightseeing or walking around/shopping on our own, or is a taxi necessary?

I can answer the Boston part. You will dock at the Port. The tourist attractions are not generally within walking distance, but you will find a lot of taxis plus the Old Town Trolley located at the port -- and a few other tour operators. The Trolley is a great tour because you can get on and off as you wish and it visits all the major tourist spots.

When I did my Canada/New England cruise this past September, we docked at the Black Falcon Cruise ship terminal in Boston on the first day and last day of the cruise. The cruise ship terminal is near Logan Airport. Cost $20 including tip for the taxi ride to and from the airport to the cruise ship terminal. A huge portion of the cost, approx $6 or so was to pay toll fare for the tunnel. The cruise ship terminal is not near the city part of Boston at all. I think you either need to take a taxi, or the water taxi to take you to downtown Boston. Definitely not within walking distance.

In Portland, Maine, we also docked at the pier there. We went straight off the boat and onto a bus for our shore excursion. The pier isn't right in the heart of the downtown shopping district. But when we returned from our tour we walked around the waterfront area and there were some nice shops and restaurants all within walking distance. Although if you are in Portland, I would highly recommend going to Kennebunkport. Great charming little town. Also try and stop at Portland Head Light if you at all have any interest in lighthouses. Absolutely gorgeous!

Archived