The Norwegian Jewel Is Now My Favorite Ship!

Pianoman6582

Thank you!! :D

I have saved ALL of this information!

Most of what we do will probably depend on who's cruising with us. Since we are getting married on the ship the day of embarkment we have invited guest to cruise. Of course we are not going to spend 24/7 with everyone but we enjoy doing group activities so we have to make sure we have fun things to do for all ages, which is why we went with a cruise to begin with!

The Jewel especially has fun for all ages with the Nickelodeon at Sea. Children will have their daytime activities well taken care of and parents can be pampered equally during that time onboard! Plenty to see and do on the Jewel for all ages and if you want to do nothing... there's places for that too from the library to the card room. Hide out and relax in the spa... so many choices and again... congrats on the big occassion!! :D

Both ships have the two pools and the Great Outdoors. We don't bowl or climb rock walls :eek:

One question I cannot find the answer to are there couchs on the port side of the pool deck (hate them) on the Jewel as on the Gem?

As of right now the Dawn is my favorite with the Gem a close second. Will the Jewel top these?

P.S. We know where the secret hot tub is on the Dawn.

Pat - I'm right there with you on the rock climbing. I have been told the bowling alley concept works very well with the Bliss Nightclub concept. I like Spinnakers on the Jewel for dancing though. It's right above the bridge so we're not keeping the pax up by being loud. ;)

About the couches on the pool deck... there are none! I have never once seen a couch in the main pool area. There are some lounge-style beds in the courtyard villa complex by the pool but none on the main pool area. There are tables and chairs (all plastic) to sit upright in under the cover of the sun deck. In the open area there are regular loungers. Hope that helps! :)

I know where the secret hot tub is too on the Dawn. ;)

Pat - I'm right there with you on the rock climbing. I have been told the bowling alley concept works very well with the Bliss Nightclub concept. I like Spinnakers on the Jewel for dancing though. It's right above the bridge so we're not keeping the pax up by being loud. ;)

About the couches on the pool deck... there are none! I have never once seen a couch in the main pool area. There are some lounge-style beds in the courtyard villa complex by the pool but none on the main pool area. There are tables and chairs (all plastic) to sit upright in under the cover of the sun deck. In the open area there are regular loungers. Hope that helps! :)

That secret hot tub on the DAWN is a great place for sailaway, since not many people know about it or think about it at that time....:D:):D Can't wait to get back on the DAWN next May.

Thank you for the quick reply. That's what I was waiting to hear. The Gem has them and they take up so much room on the pool deck. I would rather sit at a table in the shade and sip my drink of the day.

Jewel does sound like a mix of everthing we like. Look forward to the Jewel next month and looks like we're going to book the Jewel in Feb.

Thank you for the quick reply. That's what I was waiting to hear. The Gem has them and they take up so much room on the pool deck. I would rather sit at a table in the shade and sip my drink of the day.

Jewel does sound like a mix of everthing we like. Look forward to the Jewel next month and looks like we're going to book the Jewel in Feb.

I didn't care for the Couches on the GEM's pool deck either. It seemed like the same groups of people had them the whole cruise. That space could be put to better use, for more people. After 7 cruises on the GEM, I'm anxious to try one of her sister ships....even if it is an older sister.

Nothing old about the Jewel! John keeps her looking like brand new... even during a Spring Break cruise when college kids can run amuck onboard. They did a fantastic job of keeping it spotless and the carpet is fresh and upholstery nice. Not sure what they're up to for the drydock but she looked as good as new this year!

The couches seem like an odd thing for a pool deck but since I haven't seen them I guess I can't comment too much on their appearance. I'm a creature of habit. I find something I like and I stick with it! :D That'd be the Norwegian Jewel btw... ;)

I like the Spirit as well and saddened to see that she's doing NOLA year round... we get the Dawn but she'll be good because if she wasn't I would have never considered NCL for an exotic cruise to Egypt when Princess didn't work out and well the rest is history! :D

Nothing old about the Jewel! John keeps her looking like brand new... even during a Spring Break cruise when college kids can run amuck onboard. They did a fantastic job of keeping it spotless and the carpet is fresh and upholstery nice. Not sure what they're up to for the drydock but she looked as good as new this year!

The couches seem like an odd thing for a pool deck but since I haven't seen them I guess I can't comment too much on their appearance. I'm a creature of habit. I find something I like and I stick with it! :D That'd be the Norwegian Jewel btw... ;)

I like the Spirit as well and saddened to see that she's doing NOLA year round... we get the Dawn but she'll be good because if she wasn't I would have never considered NCL for an exotic cruise to Egypt when Princess didn't work out and well the rest is history! :D

Never would have guessed...lol:D

We were in the owners suite on deck 9 on the jewel. (9004 & 9002 penthouse & owners suite, connecting) It is a gorgeous room, and very very comfortable. If you would like pics, or have any specific questions, let me know. (not sure how to post pics, but send me your e-mail address, and I'll forward them if you like!)

It was windy on the front deck, but you can always go to the side deck. We happened to be on during the hurricane, so they actually removed the furniture from the front deck and boarded the windows.

The bathroom is fabulous!! Even a tv, and a window looking onto the side deck. Very large. Shower is great. Nice dressing area. Bed is extremely comfortable...even if you are flying over it during a hurricane!! :D

The room was also very quiet....we did not hear anything from other cabins.

Room steward , concierge and butler were also fabulous!

• 2 weeks later...
As for trying out the Blue Lagoon. Definitely give it another shot. Be sure to try the wing dings. Good soul food in the early hours of the morning when the disco closes. :D

After a looong hard night of gambling:rolleyes:, my Lee and I like to hit the Blue Lagoon for a nibble on the way up to our cabin.... I order a double order of Spinach Artichoke Dip.... While the consistency and look of New England Clam Chowder, it's soooo good.

My other fave is chicken fingers and mac and cheese...

Of course you can also order from room service, but that sometimes requires a little patience as many of your fellow cruisers are hungry at 3:00 in the morning.....

Two things they don't mention about the Blue Lagoon are that during dinner time, the menu changes. There are fewer items on the dinner menu. I expect this is to encourage you to silence your inner-child that wants fried wonderfulness at every meal and go to a proper restaurant or at least the buffet. The other thing they don't mention is that they are NOT in fact 24/7 as their menu indicates, the dedicated kitchen closes at about 4:30am to clean it. During that time the menu they give you is a room service menu... But don't let it bother you too much. Why? Because it's 4:30AM! For Pete's SAKE, go to BED! :rolleyes: Heh, I'm one to talk..... Whatever you do, do not write off the Blue Lagoon.....

And I thank you:

JWK: If I wanted Room Service, I woulda called Room Service

Archived