digital camera: download onbaord v. buy memory card

MamaParrotHead

Hi guys. Can anyone tell me how much it costs to have the photo lab onboard take the digital pics off of my camera, and can they both develop them AND save them to a CD/disk? I'm debating getting another memory card (I have a 128 MB one now, which is all I've needed thus far) but can I justify getting one (at about $40-$50) when the service is available onboard? hmmmm...

thanks!

I've been looking on eBay and have noticed they sell their memory cards for MUCH cheaper there. Has anyone bought them off of eBay? I frequently get other things, but can't decide whether to chance it on something like this or not. Same brand, same memory, sealed/from-the-factory packaging, the whole deal. :confused:

Hi guys. Can anyone tell me how much it costs to have the photo lab onboard take the digital pics off of my camera, and can they both develop them AND save them to a CD/disk? I'm debating getting another memory card (I have a 128 MB one now, which is all I've needed thus far) but can I justify getting one (at about $40-$50) when the service is available onboard? hmmmm...

thanks!

Memory prices have dropped. For $40-$50 you should be able to get a 512MB card. Here's a 256mb cf card for under $15 after rebate:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=2822574

What kind of memory card?

I took a 128 with me and changed it at 250 pics. It might have kept going, but I didn't want to run out in the middle of the Everglades on an airboat. I had a spare 32 that finished up the trip just fine with 50 more pics.

I have a Canon Power Shot A75. I should also specify that we're going for a week and I'm a huge picture person. I'm probably going to bring along a few disposables (to use at the beach, etc., places I don't want to risk getting sand/water in my camera) and have them put on disk at the time I develop them, so I wonder if that'd make up the difference. I'm just hesitant to buy something I probably wouldn't ever need again.

wow, zydeco, thanks for the link...have you used this jr.com site before, without incident? what do you have to do to become a "member" (and be eligible for the rebate)?

I've been looking on eBay and have noticed they sell their memory cards for MUCH cheaper there. Has anyone bought them off of eBay? I frequently get other things, but can't decide whether to chance it on something like this or not. Same brand, same memory, sealed/from-the-factory packaging, the whole deal. :confused:

Go for it. I would.

My vote would be for additional memory cards. I bought a couple of extra cards and extra batteries (my Fuji uses a special size rechargeable battery) from eBay dealers. All came new in original packaging. Like everything else when dealing with eBay, just be carefull and check on who you are buying from.

I just didnt like the idea of leaving my memory card with someone else....

We took the spare memory cards and batteries with us, and then made sure and recharged the batteries every night. Took tons more pictures than we used to when taking film, with the idea that we can get home and delete the ones we dont want. hah, we didnt delete hardly any, just transferred them to CD, and then cleared the memory cards for our next trip!

I have a Canon Power Shot A75. I should also specify that we're going for a week and I'm a huge picture person. I'm probably going to bring along a few disposables (to use at the beach, etc., places I don't want to risk getting sand/water in my camera) and have them put on disk at the time I develop them, so I wonder if that'd make up the difference. I'm just hesitant to buy something I probably wouldn't ever need again.

wow, zydeco, thanks for the link...have you used this jr.com site before, without incident? what do you have to do to become a "member" (and be eligible for the rebate)?

The biz is actually J and R. They have some kind of affiliation with amazon.com which is how I first came to know them. If you look up, for example, Canon A95 Powershot on amazon.com you'll see that J and R is an alternate supplier.

Yes, I've done business with them before - no problems. In fact, it is where I bought my Canon Powershot - but an older model s230 a couple of years or so ago, waterproof case, yada yada. Have ordered other things including memory cards and toner for my printer. Think I might even order one of the 256mb cards.

You don't have to join anything for the rebate. It does take about 8 weeks to receive. Download the rebate form to your computer and order before it expires (in 2 days I think), mail it in on time with proof of purchase and you're good to go. There is a limit of 1 per person.

You can also buy a waterproof case for you camera, which is what I prefer.

We went on a 7 days in January and were so glad we had extra memory. Our camera a Canon Eos Digital uses Compact Flash Memory cards.

My suggestion, watch the Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Max and Office Depot advertisements. We came across a great deal in December that was to good to be true. It was not on the shelves you had to ask for it. We bought a 1 gig compact flash card for $50 with the in store and mail in rebates.

My husband loved the fact that we did not have to bring our laptop and worry about it, and he could take all the pictures he wanted and didn't have to pick and choose what shots he could take.

It was well worth it. :)

But, I thought that they stopped saving pics to disc on the ships because of problems people were having back home reading them. On the Destiny they had a limited amount of cards- not all types, and expensive. I agree with all above- extra cards, download to a computer etc.

I just ordered a 512mb and a 256 mb CF card for our upcoming cruise.

Quik question. How can I tell which CF card will fit a Canon A80?

I'm guessing that any CompactFlash card will work. Book shows card slot type 'I'.

The prices at that site look really good... 1G for $49. after rebate.. :D

Before going on my Alaska cruise May 04 I talked myselfe into a digital Rebel. I used mostly the auto or "P" setting and got great pictures. I had my laptop which had over four gig of space left so I figured that I had lots of storage room. I had over one gig of flash cards also. I ran out of space on both after five days of a twelve day cruise.

I went into full panic mode and bought two more 256 cards at the next port. I filled them the next day and was no better off than before. Then a fellow passenger came to my rescue. He had a storage device called a FLASHTRAX which reads and stores pictures right off of the flash card and then you can erase them and your back in business. He also had his computer and could burn CD's which he did for me each day the rest of the cruise. I took over 3,000 pictures on that cruise and at the highest jpg level of storage. So user beware you can think you have lots of space but you may get the shock of your life if you don't plan well.

I now own my own FLASHTRAX and have used it on two cruises since. It has 40 gig storage and a viewer so you can see what pictures are on it. I currently have 10 gig of pictures on it which is the sum total of three cruises.

The FLASHTRAX can be seen or bought on line at http://www.smartdisk.com for about $500 it was the best investment I have made.

I also have a new larger drive laptop and three gig of CF cards. I am loaded for bear and will never run out of storage again.

Whether you need an additional card is really dependent on what type of photographer you are. I take TONS of pictures when we go on vacation, so I needed the extra memory. Try to evaluate your style but at the same time remember, you will only be in these palces with these people at these ages once. That being said... We cruised this past summer on Royal Caribbean (I would expect Carnival to be comparable) and it cost $15 to have your pictures taken from memory card and put on a disk, BUT while $15 is cheaper than another card, you have no way to make sure the shots are really on the disk before your card is wiped out. I would go for two smaller cards vs. a really large one. If something happens to one of your cards, you will ruin less pictures. And while we're at it, don't forget a second set of batteries and your charger. To me - it is always worth having extra memory and extra batteries, but that really is up to you and how much you take pictures.

Archived