Hilton Miami Downtown

kittenaround

Although I have not stayed at this hotel, $140 seems kind of pricey. Look at www.lastminutetravel.com. This past January I booked the Hyatt for $89.

Hello Marie51. This price is from LMT.

Do you recall when you booked the Hyatt for $89 for last January? Just wondering if I'm looking too early on LMT for this coming January.

I bid on Priceline this past January for a hotel in Miami. I got the Hilton for $85. When we checked in we requested a room with a view of the port. They told us that for $25 we could get an upgrade. We did and it was money well spent. We had a beautiful corner room on the 14th floor with a view of downtown Miami, the port and a distant view of South Beach. We really liked the Hilton and would stay there again.

For those of you that have stayed at the Hilton, did you use the Metromover? We are staying there next week and I am trying to figure out the Metromover map/schedule, just wondering what station it is that is near the hotel.

For those of you that have stayed at the Hilton, did you use the Metromover? We are staying there next week and I am trying to figure out the Metromover map/schedule, just wondering what station it is that is near the hotel.

Yes, we used the Metromover. The nearest station is about a block away. Take a left out of the hotel and walk about a block and turn left and go up the stairs. We made a loop around downtown Miami and then got off at Bayside and spent a couple of hours and had dinner there.

Okay, I'm going to climb up on my soapbox again.

Downtown Miami is a fine place to stay for just one night, it is, however, probably the worst place to stay in the area if you want to get a feel of what makes Miami so special.

I totally get why, one evening prior to a cruise you'd want to stay in the area though.

First of all, don't go on the Metromover at night! It's not safe.

Secondly, try a restaurant that isn't a chain, I like Perriocone's downtown. Lovely garden, great Italian food.

Don't bother with Bayside, unless you need tacky souveniers, and really, why do you need those?

Okay, I'm going to climb up on my soapbox again.

Downtown Miami is a fine place to stay for just one night, it is, however, probably the worst place to stay in the area if you want to get a feel of what makes Miami so special.

I totally get why, one evening prior to a cruise you'd want to stay in the area though.

First of all, don't go on the Metromover at night! It's not safe.

Secondly, try a restaurant that isn't a chain, I like Perriocone's downtown. Lovely garden, great Italian food.

Don't bother with Bayside, unless you need tacky souveniers, and really, why do you need those?

Thanks for the info! That is why I come on this board...there are definitely a lot more people who know more about these places than I do, and I sincerely appreciate all of the suggestions from everyone!

We are just doing the "one night pre cruise" thing, which is why we chose downtown. If we don't feel safe we will head right back up to the room, I have no problem with that.

Just searching for something to do to pass a few hours before dinner time on our arrival day. I really don't mind touristy type places, after all, that's what I will be.:rolleyes:

I really don't mind touristy type places, after all, that's what I will be.:rolleyes:

I'd rather think of visitors as travelers. People who want to get to know the area and understand the culture and vibe of a place.

While there's a certain charm in staying in places that seem familiar, I sure hope to encourage folks to explore outside of their comfort zones.

A cab to Perricone's will be a much better investment, that walking over to Bayside to eat at Bubba Gumps. Culture-wise, if not food-wise.

I was FLOORED to read on a thread for my cruise, which goes to Aruba, that all someone was interested in was whether or not there was a Margaritaville near the boat. REALLY? You go all the way to Aruba and you don't want to go any further than the closest Margaritaville?

I've been to Miami a few times....not ever super impressed, but OMG could I sit at Lincoln Road all day and never be bored...ABOLUTLEY! Would much prefer Lincoln Road or Ocean Dr over anything else.

I was FLOORED to read on a thread for my cruise, which goes to Aruba, that all someone was interested in was whether or not there was a Margaritaville near the boat. REALLY? You go all the way to Aruba and you don't want to go any further than the closest Margaritaville?

We beat our heads bloody on this board trying to get visitors to see something besides the Holiday Inn Port of Miami or Intercontinental, Bayside Marketplace, Bubba Gumps and The Hard Rock.

Miami is more vibrant and interesting culturally and otherwise than any Caribbean cruise stop.

To you locals, I understand why you want us to stay and eat in better locations than tourist traps. We have stayed several times in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale a few days before a cruise and enjoyed the local sights and food.

But for my next cruise, flying in from San Diego the day before a cruise, (and there are no non-stop flights), we have no choice but to arrive in Miami between about 6 and 10 PM. And that means we have been up since 4:30AM West Coast time and will be exhausted. We just want to get to our hotel, have a clean room, and a hot meal. And then crash.

Bottom line, some hotels and restaurants won't work for us. So a Hilton, or Marriott or ??? is just fine for one night.

We beat our heads bloody on this board trying to get visitors to see something besides the Holiday Inn Port of Miami or Intercontinental, Bayside Marketplace, Bubba Gumps and The Hard Rock.

Miami is more vibrant and interesting culturally and otherwise than any Caribbean cruise stop.

I too love to get a feel for the locals and the culture wherever I visit. However, sometimes the places I think and local, I find out are not too late and too much money later. I would love some recommendations on places to stay and eat in February. One issue is that we will be there on Valentine's Day. But will love to have any input on what to visit and where to stay and eat. We are not opposed to any "hole in the walls" either as we have had some of our best meals there. Thanks,

Karen

I too love to get a feel for the locals and the culture wherever I visit. However, sometimes the places I think and local, I find out are not too late and too much money later. I would love some recommendations on places to stay and eat in February. One issue is that we will be there on Valentine's Day. But will love to have any input on what to visit and where to stay and eat. We are not opposed to any "hole in the walls" either as we have had some of our best meals there. Thanks,

Karen

Your dates are over President's Week and the Miami Int'l Boat Show and peak week in peak season. Valentines Day is the worst night of the year to eat out.

That said I'd head to Coconut Grove and stay at the Residence Inn and walk over CoCoWalk and eat there.

Most of the times I've found it is the tourist traps that are overpriced.

Thanks, and no kidding about Valentines Day being the worst night to eat out. We stopped doing that years ago, overpriced food, crowds, and servers who really wanted to be home. But we will be starting a great vacation on the 15th, so we could live with anything. I will check out your suggestions and thanks again.

Archived