Why doesn't Mapquest want us to take the NJ Turnpike....a change from past trips!

Chrislynn55

We're driving from Toronto to Manhattan for our September 25 Carnival Glory cruise. We've done this trip several times (the last one was summer 2008) and the Mapquest directions have been consistent every time:

From the I-80 E take exit 47A.....merge onto the I-280 E.....merge onto the I-95 N/NJ Turnpike....take exit 16E for the NJ-495....which leads us to Weehawken (we stay at the Sheraton). This has always worked fine for us.

For our upcoming trip, Mapquest seems to not want us on the Turnpike. Instead of the above directions, it says: From the I-80E take exit 53 and merge onto US-46 E.....then merge onto NJ-3 E....then RT-3 LN E....then merge onto the NJ-495 E.....and the rest is the same as usual.

So, is there some construction happening on this section of the Turnpike that might be causing Mapquest to send us off on this detour? It's adding an extra 50 minutes to our trip but the mileage is basically the same. We'd prefer to go the way we know from past trips but not if we'll run into problems with that route. We've traveled a lot by car and Mapquest has never let us down yet (unlike the GPS, which has).

Anyone got any ideas?

Kathy

We're driving from Toronto to Manhattan for our September 25 Carnival Glory cruise. We've done this trip several times (the last one was summer 2008) and the Mapquest directions have been consistent every time:

From the I-80 E take exit 47A.....merge onto the I-280 E.....merge onto the I-95 N/NJ Turnpike....take exit 16E for the NJ-495....which leads us to Weehawken (we stay at the Sheraton). This has always worked fine for us.

For our upcoming trip, Mapquest seems to not want us on the Turnpike. Instead of the above directions, it says: From the I-80E take exit 53 and merge onto US-46 E.....then merge onto NJ-3 E....then RT-3 LN E....then merge onto the NJ-495 E.....and the rest is the same as usual.

So, is there some construction happening on this section of the Turnpike that might be causing Mapquest to send us off on this detour? It's adding an extra 50 minutes to our trip but the mileage is basically the same. We'd prefer to go the way we know from past trips but not if we'll run into problems with that route. We've traveled a lot by car and Mapquest has never let us down yet (unlike the GPS, which has).

Anyone got any ideas?

Kathy

280 has had some nasty construction just about the junction of 280-95

But why you would go SouthEast on 280 to just about Exit 15E on NJTP to turn around and go back north to exit 16E sounds really screwy to me. LOTS of traffic on 280 on the weekends. Not much on 80 Eastbound. Why not just go 80 to 95 S, Eastern Spur and get off at Exit 17 onto 495 East.

Thanks for that info about the 280, Greatam, that's probably the reason for the suggested detour. Your idea of taking the 80E all the way over to the 95 S makes sense. Will the signage say "Eastern Spur?" Any other tips for helping us recognize our exits?

You were very helpful last year when we were taking our Explorer cruise out of Bayonne....thanks so much for responding again:)

Kathy

When you get onto the NJ Turnpike south from I80, you follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel. This will take you down the "eastern spur". Instead of getting off at the Lincoln Tunnel exit, you just stay on the turnpike and go through the entrance toll booths. Get off at exit 14, 14A, 14B, 14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

Archived