Dining Options on the Opera

CPMichael

We are a group of six sailing February 19 on the Opera. I have enjoyed reading all of the experiences everyone has posted and all of the pictures.

Please tell me which restaurant we should request. AND a table location if you have a preference.

Thanks

any links to pictures would also be appreciated. :)

I would highly suggest L'Approdo dining room on deck 6 aft. It is smaller and on my cruise the few complaints I heard came from the larger dining room on deck 5 midship. I would recommend asking for a table by the fantail windows. They are truly fabulous. Good luck on your cruise.

Yes, Yes I agree as I have just come off the Feb 5th sailing and had dinner in the La Caravelle Dining room (midship). We had a very sour waiter and we felt there was an extreme amount of tension amongst the staff. I really wish I had dealt with it from the start because I am sure that it would have made my/our cruise experience more enjoyable. During tea we met Giovanni and Benny and we were all "in love" with their antics and great personalities. We found out where they worked and sure enough it was in L'Aproda diningromm aft windows(deck 6). We were able to join them twice for lunch and loved every minute of the time spent there. We even tipped them. Your dining experience can really make our break your cruise. Enjoy your trip!

I just came off the Feb. 5th sailing. We ate in the L'Approdo dining room since we heard it was better on these boards, so I requested it in advance. The food service was pretty quick on most nights, but there was some strange attitude thing going on with our waiter, Viorel. He was back and forth between being somewhat warm and receptive to standoffish. We were pretty sure it wasn't us because we are both very considerate and polite. It was confusing, but I think he had some problem with our table mates that we missed.

I agree, the dining experience can really make or break the cruise.

I was disappointed when I found out that despite requesting a large table in the back several times prior to the cruise, I actually got a table for 4. We immediatley went to the maitre'd and nicely requested to be moved to a large table but they could not accomodate us. So we visited the dining room to at least find out if we had a good location. To my horror, it was flush against a busy aisle and a noisy bus station. I've been there and done that and wasn't willing to do it again. We went back and waited on a huge line to at least beg for a different location. After he repeatedly told us there was nowhere at all to move us, he finally gave in and moved us to a table (also for four) by a window near the entrance and that worked out better. We ended up sitting with a very nice and interesting couple. We enjoyed our time spent with them, but we still would have preferred a large table so we could get to know more people.

The table for four immediately next to us had a couple that only spoke German with a couple that only spoke English. It's really a roll of the dice with these tables for four.

I don't know how the other restaurant is configured because we never ate there and only passed through briefly, but L'Approdo has way too many tables for four and not many six or eights from what I could tell. Also, if you are sensitive to noise and distraction like I am, watch out for the location of the bus stations because they create plenty of noise. The very back of the room looks good as long as you get flush against the aft windows. The tables for four along the windows towards the entrances are also very good, and they are really right up against each other so you could easily accomodate a party of six if you take up two tables.

Again, it has been my experience that the maitre'd was unable to accomodate us with what we requested. It might be wise to fax requests to the ship ahead of time as others on this board have done and been successful with. There was no hope of getting those aft large tables by the time I boarded the ship. There was no hope of getting moved anywhere until I repeatedly made it clear that the horrible table assignment was completely unacceptible and only then did we get a partial compromise.

There is assigned seating on the Opera but you can request to change it if you do not like the location or size of the table. You may not like your tablemates after the first dinner and request a change. When you get on the ship and have brought your carry-on to your stateroom find out where the maitre'D is seeing people for seating arrangements if you feel you would like to change your table before the first dinner. I do have to tell you that when I got to the line it was very very very long and I could not change from La Caravella to L'Aproda. Everything was full for both seatings. Good Luck

I was one of the first people in line and still couldn't get what I wanted. The maitre'd jotted down some notes and told us that if anything opened up later, he would let us know (regarding our request for the large table). We never heard back about the large table, but at least we were fortunate enough to have been able to move to the less annoying location during our second time in line. (He really hesitated on this location change and we still have no idea what the problem was.)

Something to keep in mind: We asked around to several staff members to find out when and where the maitre'd would be located for change requests. We got conflicting answers spanning a three hour period. I believe he was actually there at around 1pm with the line forming about a half hour prior.

Good luck. Again, try the FAX idea that others have done. It seems to have gotten people better results. I wanted to do that but couldn't figure out the international number thing.

We too had been assigned to the main Dining Room. We were quite early to the ship and as soon as I found our table notice in our cabin, I called Reception to find out where the maitre'd would be. We were told one pm and I was there about 12:20. That put me second in line and were were give # 105, a table for 4 not too far from a small wait station. It wasn't noisy and after the other diners made it to their tables, even the traffic was minimal. We prefer the later seating so we can linger over dessert(s) and decaf. Brenda, the wine steward brought espresso from the bar. She was right there filling up our water glasses. We left a tip as she was so pleasant even though we did not order any liquor

The best thing, we had Achille and (sp ?) Majama; they were just great. Our daughter and her husband are vegeterians in a very strict sense...not even eggs. Achille outdid himself to see that they had tempting entrees. And the bread...I'm having withdrawal here at home.

Next to us was table of four who spoke German and by the end of the cruise were having a grand time checking what each had ordered. They were impressed with the sides of chocolate sauce and whipped cream. Laughter transverses language, and my DH does speak it a bit. I personally was delighted with the mix of languages and cultures. No need to go back to Paris, the whole week was a fashion show.

Our hang-out spot was the non-smoking side of the Aroma Lounge. We played cards and watched the Super Bowl. Our group got in on a pool and won three out of four quarters. Try the shaken teas. DD favored them.

Someone mentioned faxing a few days ahead. I thinks that's a good idea...also bring a copy of the fax. We left home too early to do that which is why I took the time to wait for a table change.

Have fun,

Blessings,

We are a group of six sailing February 19 on the Opera. I have enjoyed reading all of the experiences everyone has posted and all of the pictures.

Please tell me which restaurant we should request. AND a table location if you have a preference.

Thanks

any links to pictures would also be appreciated. :)

Hi, I would suggest to have dinner at L'Aprodo (sp?) and if you can, try to get Benny and Christophe as your waiters. I had the best service from them, and they were not my normal night waiters. If you do get them and if you wouldn't mind, please tell them Terri and Lauren sent you. :) Thanks!

I was also on the Feb 5th sailing, We had the late sitting in La Caravella, the main dining room on the 5th floor. Our waiter, Fransico, was very efficient and professional, but seemed a little less then friendly at first, I think this had to do with English as a second language and maybe their idea that a waiter should just deliver the food with out interjecting much personality. He did warm up a bit and by the 2nd or 3rd night we were smiling and joking arround. We never asked for a change in the assigned rooms and overall were pleased with the service and food.

If you drink wine, the wine package 7 bottles for 90$, was a good deal and had some great wines. Our wine stewart, Dorina, also allowed us to pick what ever wine we wanted instead of the ones that were listed among the choices :) .

:)Thank Goodness, you must have been in my nightmare thinking about the fashion police and all that stuff:eek:

we are also packing lite trying to keep it under 20k????:confused:don't know if we can do it //but we will try.

I just called MSC and of course couldn't request L'Approdo. I think for our sailing April 2nd I just wait and see. I hate lines..... Because we are packing light, sportcoat for hubby, no tux this cruise.

Marge

Archived