Small gifts for room steward

Kitchenditcher

I usually just give them phone cards (make sure they don't have a huge penalty for international use though) and cash. I know they have a very small amount of space and so it's probably best to give something that can be used and then discarded.

Have a great trip!

Angela

this has been posted a zilion times on other threads here, but always, always, always, cash unless you can verify that they can actually use the phone cards from whatever port they will be at. There was a thread on this last month in this section on that. 4 crew to a cabin the size of a sardine can doesn't amount to much space. if you give them cash, they will know what phone cards to buy in the crew store or elsewhere..Menina

I usually just give them phone cards (make sure they don't have a huge penalty for international use though) and cash. I know they have a very small amount of space and so it's probably best to give something that can be used and then discarded.

Have a great trip!

Angela

...but you can give them to the birds and bees!

I want money! That's what I want!"

While you may think you're being thoughtful, and your room attendant will undoubtly thank you, realistically money is what they really can use. Phone cards don't work the same to everywhere (some cards are better than others to certain countries) so how can you possibly buy the right one for your room attendant if you don't know where they're from) and any sort of luxury item is likely inappropriate. You don't know if they drink, smoke or spend their free time reading scripture (from the Tora, Bible, Koran, etc. for that matter) Basically you're asking "what is a good gift for this person I know nothing about"

The answer: Money! If you give your extra tip upfront and tell them it is in addition to the regular tip at the end of the week, they will likely treat you better too.

My daughter when she was younger always left little treats on the bed for the room steward...she thought she should do the same for him since he left mints for her. They were mostly gum and candy. It was cute and I remember her favorite room steward hugging her and saying"you are going to rot my teeth" with a huge smile on his face. Any thing that you do I am sure will be appreciated! We always make sure to write a nice note to each crew member that has helped us to have a great cruise letting them know how much we appreciate there help! Of course there is always additional gratuity enclosed. I would think cans of pop or bottles of beer would be appreciated as well. If there are no rules regarding giving them alcohol.

Have a great cruise!

I'd like to send a waiter from my recent cruise a copy of the picture of the two of us, and I'd like to include something with it. My first thought was cookies or fudge or something along those lines, but c'mon...these guys have more sweets and stuff at their disposal than they could possibly want. And of course, cash would just be tacky and inappropriate. So now what? What could a guy from Hungary want/need on a cruise ship? :confused: I'd love any suggestions!

The "horse" (and I say that lovingly) always says to me, "what makes passengers think we have room for anything?" He didn't mention about the phone cards, but like I said before, money always works, and seeing they make a pittance anyway I haven't met a crew person yet that frowned whenthey were given cash. They can buy beer, etc. in the crew bar anyway.

Archived