2006 Atlantis - Navigator of the Seas

Handsome1975

Hi ... I am just curious to know a few things about the recent Atlantis cruise on the Nav. of the Seas. I was on the ship from January 2nd - 8th for my first cruise. I loved the ship and had a great time. The reason for going just before the Atlantis cruise was because I had never been on a cruise before and thought it might be a bit overwhelming being on a first cruise as well as being with 3200 other men. So, I did my first cruise and had an amazing time.

I'm wondering if I'd really enjoy the same ship, but being all gay. I will be 30 by this time next year and am not really into the club scene at all (but I do like to people watch). I guess I have a bunch of questions, and am hoping to start this thread and see what types of guys reply.

I know you can make the trip anything you want ... but at the same time I don't want to spend almost double the price for an Atlantis cruise just to feel pressured to join in the club type atmosphere.

Hope to hear some good pointers/tips.

Hey Handsome

My partner and I just got off the Navigator. You can read my review of the cruise on this board at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=132797

But to adress your specific questions/concerns, my partnerr & I are both 41 and definately no where near circuit boy types. Yes, there was certainly that element present throughout the cruise, and most of the parties were geared for those boys (running 11PM to 6AM), but in all honesty, I never felt out of place at any time. The cruise is so much more than that. Of course, if one is looking for sex and drugs, you certainly can find it on a gay cruise, but is definatetly wasn't overtly open. The age range is all over the place, from 21 to 80. I'd say the average age was about 35-40. Being able to be openly who you are with the your friends and/or partner, and enjoy the company of so many gay men is what it is all about. Don't feel like you need the perfectly tanned and toned body, or that you need to dress up for the parties, or that you even need to go to the parties. I'm more like you, I did dress up, and danced a little, mostly watched, but was in bed between 1 and 2 AM every night. Believe me, you will never feel pressure to participate in anything. Although you can dance every night if you wanted to, there was also shows in the theater as late as midnight allmost every night, and those were packed also, so obviously eevryone was not on the dance floor. There is so much to do on the cruise. The entertainment will keep you busy every day, and the fact that it is tailored for a gay crowd makes it even better. I have done a "normal" cruise followed by 2 gay cruises, and i will never go back. Yes, the cost is more, probably only about $200 more per person, but keep in mind they do bring on their own shows, lighting, sound system, DJs, etc, and of course, they need to make a profit.

My opinion, go for it. I have yet to meet anyone on a gay cruise who has regretted it. If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to respond.

Dave

My partner and I are in our 60s and don't dance more than a few steps early in the evening. Can't stand that LOUD thump,thump music(?) they play for most of the parties. But we had a great time on the recent Atlantis cruise. The entertainment was mostly excellent. The shirtless scenery was fantastic. Everyone we met was friendly and interesting. We enjoyed the Tea Dances the best, because there was more light to enjoy the show and the Disco Era music and costumes were lots of fun. The only thing we found to be disappointing was the food quality on the Navigator. The food on the HAL ships that RSVP uses is much better. We are more than willing to spend more for such a wonderful week with a group of fun people.

Thanks for the replies thus far .. Keep 'em coming!

I know that there's LOTS of activities/shows to keep busy on the ship. That's what I found when I was on the Navigator early January and loved the go go go feeling (but then was also in Miami to relax for a week afterwards). I am sure I would end up going to all the shows and watching some of the parties too. However, I have never dressed up (for instance the white party on board). If I just wore a white dress shirt and jeans, would I feel out of place with the rest of the 3200 men wearing all white? Or do I have this idea all wrong :confused: ???

Does anyone know for sure if the 2006 January/February cruise will be the eastern or western Caribbean? I was told last week that it will be the eastern again and I was a bit suprised. I would have thought they'd go to the Western next year.

If anyone wants to send an email please don't hesitate to gdk19 (at) rogers (dot) com

Thanks!

2006 Navigator

January 28 - February 4, 2006

Miami, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Labadee, Miami on the

Royal Caribbean Navigator.

Ports are always subject to change

(I wouldn't be surprised if Grand Cayman got changed as they are very homophobic there)

I would recommend all white for the white party (About 99.9% wore all white on my Atlantis Cruise)

:) :D :rolleyes:

Archived