wow going crossed eyed trying to find cruise

140toesandfingers

Hello-

My husband and I started out thinking that we were going to book Carnival. I have been on 2 Carnival cruises but along time ago. (2001 Imagination was the last one) My husband has never been on a cruise. We decided that we really like the Southern or Eastern Caribbean Islands and since we started looking we have checked RCL and Princess. Now we seem to go full circle every couple days. Ugh.....I hope that you might be able to give us some insight based on your past experiences.

Here is a little about us:

We are late 30's.

We want to do speciality dinning

My husband really wants surf and turf! :)

We arent dance in the night club kinda people to wee hours but enjoy entertainment after dinner. (perhaps comedy, piano bar, calypso music kinda entertainment)

HELP! :)

Thanks for all feedback!

Hello-

My husband and I started out thinking that we were going to book Carnival. I have been on 2 Carnival cruises but along time ago. (2001 Imagination was the last one) My husband has never been on a cruise. We decided that we really like the Southern or Eastern Caribbean Islands and since we started looking we have checked RCL and Princess. Now we seem to go full circle every couple days. Ugh.....I hope that you might be able to give us some insight based on your past experiences.

Here is a little about us:

We are late 30's.

We want to do speciality dinning

My husband really wants surf and turf! :)

We arent dance in the night club kinda people to wee hours but enjoy entertainment after dinner. (perhaps comedy, piano bar, calypso music kinda entertainment)

HELP! :)

Thanks for all feedback!

If you are not in a rush to cruise there is a Cruise Critic Group Cruise on the Miracle on Jan 29th 2012, There are already over 100 of the nicest people in the world already signed on A ton of fun activities scheduled. Just a thought Look it up on the Member Cruises on the Boards

My recommendation is one of the Voyager class or Ultra Voyager class on Royal Caribbean International. Should have everything that both of you are looking for.

As to the itinerary: no matter where the ship goes you can and will find something wonderful to explore if you have a great attitude to start with.

The ships have changed so much since your Imagination cruise years ago. You will be pleasantly pleased.

We sailed Emerald Princess to eastern Caribbean in May and absolutely loved it. There were several options on entertainment in the evenings (in lounges and the atrium) in addition to the main theater. They also have movies under the stars (MUTS) with comfy loungers and popcorn. Great banks by the pool during the day. I have always loved RCI as well. Either of those lines would be a great choice.

You should absolutely try either Royal Caribbean or Princess. Either one sounds like it would be a good match for you, based upon what you wrote about yourself.

Royal Caribbean ships have amazing "WOW factor". Serenade of the Seas (RCI) has wonderful southern itineraries out of San Juan, Freedom of the Seas leaves out of Port Canaveral, etc.

One of Princess' strong points is the kind of evening entertainment that you are looking for.

Thanks everyone for the feed back! It's nice to have in the process!

I am currently leaning towards the Adventure of the Seas. Have you been on this one and what did you think? I know that it is an older ship but it seems to get pretty good reviews.

Yes, I've been on Adventure of the Sea, and it was wonderful! It's a Voyager-class ship, so it has the Royal Promenade and the ice skating rink (with the not-to-miss ice show!). Royal Caribbean does a pretty good job of maintaining their ships, so I wouldn't worry that it's an early 2000's model.

If you are planning to book a balcony cabin, you might want to avoid deck 6. On this particular ship, the balcony front is all steel, and your view is a bit more restricted, than on the higher decks where the fronts are less steel topped with glass.

Yes, I've been on Adventure of the Sea, and it was wonderful! It's a Voyager-class ship, so it has the Royal Promenade and the ice skating rink (with the not-to-miss ice show!). Royal Caribbean does a pretty good job of maintaining their ships, so I wouldn't worry that it's an early 2000's model.

If you are planning to book a balcony cabin, you might want to avoid deck 6. On this particular ship, the balcony front is all steel, and your view is a bit more restricted, than on the higher decks where the fronts are less steel topped with glass.

We had a deck 6 balcony aft on AOS last October and never again. The steel doesn't allow you to see the ocean downwards as a normal aft balcony does, although the balcony per se was bigger. Very disappointed.

If you want a port-intensive cruise, Victory (Carnival) offers 6 ports of call on a 7-day cruise out of San Juan.

Thanks everyone for the feed back! It's nice to have in the process!

I am currently leaning towards the Adventure of the Seas. Have you been on this one and what did you think? I know that it is an older ship but it seems to get pretty good reviews.

Why do people refer to a ship that was built over 6 or 7 years ago as "Old"? A Ship like this cost over 1/2 billion to build and is in a constant state of repair and update. This particular ship is only 9 years old, when exactly did it become obsolete? It's probably newer than your car.....

Why do people refer to a ship that was built over 6 or 7 years ago as "Old"? A Ship like this cost over 1/2 billion to build and is in a constant state of repair and update. This particular ship is only 9 years old, when exactly did it become obsolete? It's probably newer than your car.....

LOL - you are right! I suppose it's just a perception because RCI has built 7 "new" ships since Adventure.

Archived