docking in Livorno & timing

wannarun

Our cruise arrives into Livorno at 7AM according to the brochure. I want to catch an 8:15 am train to Florence in order to do a bicycle tour of Chianti that day. What are my chances on being able to do this? Do I need to try to book a car to get me to the train station? Will there be taxi's that early? We are on Oceania. Thanks for any help you can give.

Our cruise arrives into Livorno at 7AM according to the brochure. I want to catch an 8:15 am train to Florence in order to do a bicycle tour of Chianti that day. What are my chances on being able to do this? Do I need to try to book a car to get me to the train station? Will there be taxi's that early? We are on Oceania. Thanks for any help you can give.

check out

raileurope.com

for train schedules but be careful the trains in Italy are on their own time..

We recently docked there and the current policy is to have ALL people on ship tours off first....especially when tendered....not the case here.

I think the ship was cleared by about 7.45 that day and you may not get to the station in time. Very often there are long queues to buy tickets especially early in the morning.

I would not like to take that chance

Brian

You should have more than ample time to get to the train station. I suspect the taxi driver won't be too happy with a small fare, but he'll be back in line before the majority of passengers show.

One word of caution: when you access the train schedules be absolutely sure you enter the right day of the week (Saturday/Sunday can be different and local or national holidays are entirely different as well).

My experience is that the taxi drivers just shrug and say no early in the morning.

They are looking for the Tour.........

Brian

Agreed. We asked a few drivers this Sat in Livorno to take us to the train station and they said no. Just walk to the main drive and catch the no. 1 bus to the station (1.50 E, pay on board, don't forget to validate your ticket). The lines were very long to buy tickets when we got there, so bought tickets from the automated machines (NOTE: they take bills only, 9E change max, no CC). We were able to catch the 8:43 train to Pisa; we were cleared to shore at 8 am.

Archived