Onboard Bookings - Beware

makeaputt

Hi Everyone !

I completely agree it's always best to get it in writing. The problem is, in this particular circumstance, I doubt the Future Cruise Consultant would put it in writing, so there's the rub.

When I was on Solstice in July, I asked about the 2 category upgrade, and was told it would be moved, if I switched my booking to another date. While I'm starting to believe that may not the case, the one thing we can all agree upon, is Celebrity should try to do a better job of educating their FCC"s of the rules, so there is no confusion or bad feelings between the Customer and the Cruise Line, when these types of situations arise.

To the OP (Stan) - If I may offer some advice.... Instead of writing Celebrity off, which I feel would be hurting yourself in the long run... I suggest calling Captains Club, and ask to speak with a Supervisor. State your case clearly and politely. Hopefully, they will work with you, and offer a fair resolution. I wish you the very best of luck. Please let us know what happens.

I did talk to the Captains Club (not a supervisor) and was told the policy is what it is and they could no do anything to help.

We are scheduled to cruise Century this Thanksgiving and then plan to cruise Celebrity again next Thanksgiving. Our TA told us that for the best deal, we should pay the deposit onboard Century this year to receive OBC, etc. Then we can transfer the reservation over to her (it's a group cruise so we will want her assistance). Does Celebrity ask you for the exact travel date when booking a new cruise onboard? Does the new cruise have to be for the same ship you are on? On NCL, you pay your deposit for the new cruise, the OBC is used for the current cruise you're on and when you return home, you can apply the deposit to the sailing of your choice.

Based on what I learned, yes and no. You can transfer the booking for your TA to get credit, however you will lose some of the benefits of booking on board.

....... Also, I thought all upgrades were on condition of space availability. You are aware that not all upgrades are true upgrades?
The term "space availability" applies to the 2 category upgrade for booking on board in that you pick the cabin you want from the cabins that are currently available at the time and are charged the price shown for the level 2 categories lower.

For instance, you book a 2a and get charged the price of a 2c (which, as you say, may or may not be a true upgrade).

But if a cabin you want later opens up in another category and you try to switch to that one, you will be charged the actual going price of that cabin at that time and lose your 2 category upgrade (although you still get to keep the onboard credit).

This discussion raises a question about avoiding the possibility of any future confusion such as the OP encountered:

Let's say we ask the FCC on our ship about making a possible change at a future date and are told that we can do it with no problem, as in the OP's case.

Are we then supposed to ask the FCC to write it down and sign it before we book?

I would be hesitant to ask for fear of offending the FCC, implying that his/her word is not to be believed or trusted. Yet, from what we are seeing here, that would be the prudent thing to do.

we were on the Infinity to antartica in Feb and went to book the artic/norway cruise for 7/11. It was not yet in their computer system so the onboard consultant told us the only way to get the benefits for booking onboard (2 cat upgrade; $150 obc and $100 dep.) was to book an existing cruise and then when the cruise we really wanted finally listed, to call and transfer the booking with all the perks to the new listing. We did that and like the OP found, X claimed we couldn't get the perks of having booked onboard if we changed the date. (we were sailing on the same ship-just different date and itinerary). I called our trusty TA who got on the phone with X and Captain's Club and X finally agreed to honor all the perks but only a 1 cat upgrade instead of 2. They said they were doing it this one time because our TA is a huge supplier of theirs but not to expect it again. Needless to say, I'v learned my lesson about trusting on board consultants.

Thanks all:(

This is exactly what we were promised on board. It demonstrates the need for X to better train its on board consultants so there is some consistency in what the client is being told. I realize some of you do not agree, but a verbal commitment is a commitment. I am old school. I have always prided myself in my word being my bond. This is not the case with X.

Just to be clear--we did not misunderstand anything--we followed the specific instructions of the X onboard cruise consultant.

I did talk to the Captains Club (not a supervisor) and was told the policy is what it is and they could no do anything to help.

Hi Makeaputt !

That's exactly why I suggested speaking with a supervisor. The non-supervisors cannot make this decision. Policy or not, a supervisor might be able to help you. Unless you have already made up your mind, you have nothing to lose by making another phone call. Good Luck !

Is it possible that when you made the change from April 23 to April 9, that you didn't keep the same Booking Number?.

I have made many changes after booking while onboard...from one cruise to another 1 yeare later. The trick is to ask the agent to keep the same Booking#.

Sometimes they forget. Also, many of the agents that you book with onboard fail to mention it.

Good Luck:)

Archived