what to do in Cozumel with 12, 9,7, and 6 yr old

jenndun

Thinking about taking the kids on a four day cruise. With a range of ages what do you recommend. I wanted to do swim with the dolphins but I read something saying they had to be 8. SO it wouldn't work for us. What do you recommend.

In Cozumel its SIMPLE!!! Hit the Wyndham Reef Resort!!! We've been there 3 times all with our 3 kids at ages for 3-14 thoughtout the years and they love it!! I think it cost us 5 to take a cab out there like $20-$25, then we get a day pass for I believe $30 for adults and $15 for kids. What that includes is ALL the food and DRINK (and yes i do mean BOOZE too!) you can comsume, a beach towel, snorkeling gear if ya want, and a kayak rental if needed. The beach is nice though ive never seen anything cool in snorkeling there, but they also have a hotel pool you can jump into as well. Their nachos are really good, and Manuel (sp?) is a KICK BUTT barteneder! (I tip him too cuz he's awesome)! Try a Michelada (meh-sha-lada), its beer with a kick! What you can do is once you get off the boat, they USUALLY have a rep out there that wears a polo shirt with the logo on it, find him and get hooked up. He usually hails your cab, jumps in with you and helps sign you up at the front desk. Then when your done, just have the front desk call you a cab back. Also usually about $20-25 return. We tend to spend ALL but a hour or two out there and just hit the shops by the pier on our return. We are PLENTY full and sauced up too!! LOL, oh and they also have a few vendors at the beach there too that sell some native things like shirts, sarongs, neckless, bracelets and such! Done it 3 times and will do it again next cruise! WAY cheaper then the Carnival excursions.

I just went to Cozumel back in June and we went to Mr. Sancho's Beach Club. I had my 9 month old with me so I couldn't do much, but I had a fantastic time there. Great drinks, great appetizers & a lot of fun. The beach is very clean and there is water crafts in the water that I'm sure the kids would love. They also have jet skis for rent as well as banana boat rides. :)

When all else fails go to walmart, about 3 miles from port.

I dont believe Cozumel has a Walmart.........The two major stores are Mega Store and Chedraui.

There is a Wal-mart located in Playa del Carmen a couple of blocks inland from the ferry pier.

Dave

I am thinking of doing Xcaret .... You have to take the ferry to playa del carma, they said it was only about 5 minutes from there.... looks very very cool...and should have something for everyone in that age range...

I always caution anyone doing anything that leaves the island (except on a ship excursion) unless they are very experienced travelers and prepared to get themselves to the next port (or back home) if they miss the ship.

I vote Chankanaab. Even if the kids are too young to do the programs, they can still see all the animals (manatees, dolphins, etc) and there's so much else to do there. The facilities are clean, food is good and inexpensive.

I can't go along with the recommendation for Paradise Beach. If you look at the website, the "water toys" are in deep water and are really geared towards teens and adults. When we were there there were mainly adults monopolizing them, and even if your kids could swim out to the deep water, being bounced off the water trampoline by a 300 pound adult man into the water or nailed by a full sized man sliding down the iceberg might not be such a great way to spend a vacation. ;)

The beach itself at Chank is much nicer than at Paradise Beach...the entry to the water is really rocky at PB. And the snorkeling is a thousand times better at Chank.

I also vote for Paradise Beach. There's something for everyone there. All of my grandkids love going there. When we first went there they were ages 3 to 13. The younger ones would play in the sand at the edge of the water. They are now ages 8 to 18 and still love going to Paradise Beach. That's where we are planning to go again, in 3 weeks when we stop at Cozumel. We've never had a problem with rocks in the water there.

Judy

We have been going to Cozumel for over 20 years....

we go to Paradise Beach on average 5 times a year....

ALL the beach resorts on the West side had the sand pulled away from the rock at the water line when Hurricane Wilma came through...however, at Paradise Beach you can enter at the NORTH end of the beach without even using water shoes.

IF the children are old enough to do the Dolphins, then that would be my first choice. It is the "the number one thing" to do in Cozumel.

However, IF they are not old enough and you end up going to a beach resort, then Paradise Beach has the most water/land toys of all the beach resorts.

There is no entrance fee. The wristbands for the water/land toys are $12 per person...but they are optional. (the boys always get them...hubby and I do not~ we are shade people...LOL)

Now there is a $2 charge per lounge chairs (which includes a table and umbrella). Sadly to many "bus riders" were getting off the cruise ships and bringing their own food and drinks and wanting to use the beach facilities for free ...and taking up space from paying customers.

The $2 for the lounge chair also covers CLEAN restrooms, changing rooms, an outdoor shower to get the sand off and free internet at the bar.

Go in and make yourself at home. Decide how many chairs you need....(you do not have to purchase one per person)....and how many wristbands you want.

If you want to be closer to all the toys ...then select a chair close to the Palapa...if you want more peace and quiet...then select a chair closer to the Paradise Beach South End Bar.

Now if you get in and out of the water on the South end, then I would recommend water shoes.

I make my boys wear them all the time anyway....

Have a great day in Cozumel!!

One other thing...if your older children are going to try to climb the iceberg ...make sure they understand not to climb UNDERNEATH someone else that is trying to climb in.

I am thinking of doing Xcaret .... You have to take the ferry to playa del carma, they said it was only about 5 minutes from there.... looks very very cool...and should have something for everyone in that age range...

Been to Xcaret twice while doing land vacations in Cancun-don't remember exactly how far it was cause I was not driving, but it is more than 5 minutes. I'm thinking closer to 20-30 minutes. It is a nice way to spend the day tho.

We like Nachi Cocom. The price includes drinks, lunch and has a limit of 100 people. Nice pool and nice beach w/chairs and thatch umbrellas. You can google and get prices. I know it is $49 for adults but it is less for children 12 and under.

Paradise Beach is a good choice also. Free admission and you can buy a wristband for $12 that will allow you use of the water toys. Food and drink is not included but the prices are reasonable and the portions huge. The servers are wonderful and come right out to you on the beach and bring the food and drinks to you or you can go to the outdoor restaurant and sit at a table and eat.

We hired an open top jeep from the port area, 100 Euros (fits 5 passengers) and drove around the whole island, we stopped at the beach choosing a secluded one, which was 10 minutes drive to the right of the port with nobody around (apart from the beach bar owner) - the water was aquamarine and my son loved it. We passed loads of beach / water sport places on the way. We also drove inland and spent some time in the shopping area before heading back to port.

Don't forget to visit the monkey next door to Paradise Beach. They had a snake too but my daughter wanted nothing to do with it! For $5 I got to take some great pics of my daughter with the monkey. One of the pics looks great on the cover of my shutterfly cruise book!

Archived