Great Bargains in Progresso!

melodystrother

Anyone find any great bargains in Progresso while visiting that you would like to share .. Also any neat shopping areas that you would go back to .. I am looking forward to spending some time while there on Carnival in October and maybe do some early Christmas shopping.

Check out the town market and surrounding area, not the market where the bus from the dock lets you off. Lots of little shops and places to eat where the locals go. Remember to bargin, bargin, bargin. You will get the best prices plus it is a lot of fun.

Do I get a taxi and ask to take me to the town market and I suppose they will understand what I'm talking about??? I have printed the Yucatan map and will take it with me but how many blocks over from the beach area??

Bargain at the shops at the port too.

For those wanting to shop in Progreso, you catch a free bus just on the other side of the port shops.

Is the town market walkable from the end of pier where bus drops you off or should I get a taxi to find this area?

Is the town market walkable from the end of pier where bus drops you off or should I get a taxi to find this area?

The Mercado is right at the bus stop, but if you want real bargains head a few blocks farther into town where the locals shop. You can find some decent deals near the tourist area but not like in town. Most tourist are afraid to wander off of the beaten path so they don't make it over 2 or 3 blocks from the main drag.

The Mercado is right at the bus stop, but if you want real bargains head a few blocks farther into town where the locals shop. You can find some decent deals near the tourist area but not like in town. Most tourist are afraid to wander off of the beaten path so they don't make it over 2 or 3 blocks from the main drag.

I'm looking to buy a nice quality Hammock in Progresso or Cozumel and since we stop in Progresso first thought I may land a better deal there. Anyone know anything about where to look or suggest a place and if going to Merida may work better for shopping.

If you are interested in heading into Merida there are some places that sell excellent quality hammocks, prices range from 20 dollars or less for the cheap ones, sold by vendors on the square aka Plaza Grande to upscale hammocks that we use here for sleeping for up to 300 dollars, sold in stores like El Aguacate.

Hope this helps...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived