Don't want to be a downer...but..snow..insurance?

Carib210

Looking foward to our Solstice cruise next month, and starting to plan for a cruise in January next year. Although we have been on many cruises, winter time included, the winters seem to be getting worse snow wise. Last year we had 46 inches in back to back snow storms and the airport was closed for a few days. So....even tho we fly into Puerto Rico the day before a cruise in case of plane delays, did anyone encounter the problem of their US airport closed a few days causing them to miss their ship? If so, does insurance cover this? I guess what I'm asking is...what's the worry free way to book a winter cruise? Does travel insurance (not cruiseline) cover if airports are closed due to weather? We have been lucky over the years, and only recently started taking out insurance. Doesn't seem like one day is enough anymore, but don't want to arrive any earlier than I have to. Sorry to be a downer talking about snow on this beautiful weather day!!

Buy trip insurance and fly in the day before. That is all you can really do. To try and plan for 2+ day delays which are extmely rare is not cost effective.

B.

Ditto. We buy trip insurance and fly in at least a day ahead of time, two if we can make it work. That day has saved our asses once, and I'm sure it will again someday.

when you purchase your trip insurance be sure that weather delays are covered - not all policies do cover this.

Personally I'm going to be checking the weather forecast in the days immediately prior to our February cruise. If a major storm is predicted we'll either take Amtrak to Florida or drive from DC metro area. I'd rather lose the price of the air and pay an extra day or two for hotel in Florida than miss my cruise.

Looking foward to our Solstice cruise next month, and starting to plan for a cruise in January next year. Although we have been on many cruises, winter time included, the winters seem to be getting worse snow wise. Last year we had 46 inches in back to back snow storms and the airport was closed for a few days. So....even tho we fly into Puerto Rico the day before a cruise in case of plane delays, did anyone encounter the problem of their US airport closed a few days causing them to miss their ship? If so, does insurance cover this? I guess what I'm asking is...what's the worry free way to book a winter cruise? Does travel insurance (not cruiseline) cover if airports are closed due to weather? We have been lucky over the years, and only recently started taking out insurance. Doesn't seem like one day is enough anymore, but don't want to arrive any earlier than I have to. Sorry to be a downer talking about snow on this beautiful weather day!!

I hear you about the snow....we had 4 flight cancellations last Feb...going from Phllly to San DIego for a Mex Riviera Cruise...we actually ended up driving to Raleigh,NC (in one of the 2 blizzards-on I-95)...Got to Raleigh only to have that flight cx since Dellas was getting a blizzard too...so our last shot was the morning of the cruise-out of Raleigh into Cincinnati then to San Diego-and we just made it. All our extra time on either end of the cruise was eaten up due to the snow....All in all -we had a great time and many laughs after it was all said and done!!!

P.S. we did have insurance all the way around but, we really needed this vacation and there was NO way a little snow was going to keep us from it!!!! I will never ever book travel w/o insurance...

I wasn't sure if travel insurance covered cancelled flights due to the weather. Now I'll make sure the policy has trip interruption/delay coverage. Just figured someone may have had to utilize that provision due to last year's storms and was wondering how it worked out. No offense to insurance company workers, but insurance policies always seem to have a loophole that gets them off the hook. Last Feb the day we were to leave for Mexico the 2nd storm hit, but the airlines had cancelled the flight 2 days before (still backed up from 1st storm). We had no insurance and thought for sure we lost out on the trip or a least a few days of the vacation, but since it was a charter to a resort, they gave us the option of a full refund or reschedule the trip. Boy, did we luck out. Needless to say, we rescheduled.

I wasn't sure if travel insurance covered cancelled flights due to the weather. Now I'll make sure the policy has trip interruption/delay coverage. Just figured someone may have had to utilize that provision due to last year's storms and was wondering how it worked out. No offense to insurance company workers, but insurance policies always seem to have a loophole that gets them off the hook. Last Feb the day we were to leave for Mexico the 2nd storm hit, but the airlines had cancelled the flight 2 days before (still backed up from 1st storm). We had no insurance and thought for sure we lost out on the trip or a least a few days of the vacation, but since it was a charter to a resort, they gave us the option of a full refund or reschedule the trip. Boy, did we luck out. Needless to say, we rescheduled.

We were stuck in DC with the back to back storms but we were able to drive 4-5 hours ahead of the storm and get to the ship. When we returned we submitted paperwork to the insurance company for the cancellation and change of plans. They paid me and my BIL without blinking an eye. Love that insurance.

when you purchase your trip insurance be sure that weather delays are covered - not all policies do cover this.

Personally I'm going to be checking the weather forecast in the days immediately prior to our February cruise. If a major storm is predicted we'll either take Amtrak to Florida or drive from DC metro area. I'd rather lose the price of the air and pay an extra day or two for hotel in Florida than miss my cruise.

If there is a major storm coming call the airlines, a lot of times they will allow you to change to another flight for no cost. The fewer passngers they have during the actual storm the better for them.

B.

Archived