Azipod problems on the Star,

kingrobby25

12 knots? I'll bet they'll need a whole extra day (Leave early) to get home. Between Seattle and AK, the Pearl was going 25 knots, according to the hotel director, anyway.

One would think if you are willing to spend enough money, drydock space could be found mighty fast.

Oh boy, if someone comes back to post and is angry and disappointed, the board is going to be in for it again..........

I can't imagine 25 knots in open sea with vibrations like he has described in another thread (called it like sitting on top of a washing machine at spin cycle).

I also imagine the reason they are omitting Prince Rupert is to give them that extra day to make it back here. Won't be surprised if they are late getting here, either.

I can't imagine 25 knots in open sea with vibrations like he has described in another thread (called it like sitting on top of a washing machine at spin cycle).

I also imagine the reason they are omitting Prince Rupert is to give them that extra day to make it back here. Won't be surprised if they are late getting here, either.

I'd be ready to blow a gasket if I were in your shoes. But I'm not..... So take heart. Maybe it's something simple. I repair machines that cost $45,000.00. And most of the time it's a 10 cent part that stops them cold........

They would have to go to Victoria, which is where they had the recent dry dock work done earlier this year. And I understand that they did some azipod work at that time (the starboard one that had the problems before????). It would depend on whether or not they have a major project going on right now or not.

Victoria is where I meant to say... whoops... typing while conversing on the phone about something completey unrelated to cruising will do that to you! :o

I know that Victoria has recently re-done a few Princess ships (gutting out the atriums and creating Piazzas out of them) and some other major work but to the best of my (albeit limited) knowledge they don't have anything going on except routine drydocks.

I'd be ready to blow a gasket if I were in your shoes. But I'm not..... So take heart. Maybe it's something simple. I repair machines that cost $45,000.00. And most of the time it's a 10 cent part that stops them cold........

I'm NOT happy, let's face it, but not much I personally can do about it. Yep, I know all about those 5 cent gaskets that paralyze expensive machinery.:D

Victoria is where I meant to say... whoops... typing while conversing on the phone about something completey unrelated to cruising will do that to you! :o

I know that Victoria has recently re-done a few Princess ships (gutting out the atriums and creating Piazzas out of them) and some other major work but to the best of my (albeit limited) knowledge they don't have anything going on except routine drydocks.

Then they should call them, no? Will they? Probably not,.

My friend pretty much confirmed what was said above, Juneau at 2pm, Skagway as normal, and no Prince Rupert. I didn't hear anything about Tracy Arm Fjord though. Why would they go down the Endicott Arm instead of the Tracy Arm fjord, aren't they both roughly the same distance or is the decision related more to ice conditions than mechanical problems?

My friend pretty much confirmed what was said above, Juneau at 2pm, Skagway as normal, and no Prince Rupert. I didn't hear anything about Tracy Arm Fjord though. Why would they go down the Endicott Arm instead of the Tracy Arm fjord, aren't they both roughly the same distance or is the decision related more to ice conditions than mechanical problems?

It could be ice, being as it is September.

We leave on the 18th. Is this really a problem that we should be worried about? I have spent alot of money on airfare , hotels etc. If it is a problem NCL should be letting people know.

Very Worried,

Debbie

:(

I agree, but they keep denying that they know anything. I'm going to call them every day until they say something. If you booked through a TA, have him/her call them. If you booked direct, call the res department and keep after them.

I know the feeling. I have several thousands of dollars tied up in this, too. Luckily, I have cancel for any reason travel insurance, but still.

Two ships in Tracy Arm is no problem. Princess does two ships a day there all of the time.

Just spoke with my PCC and she told me that the problem is with the Jewel not the Star. That was 5 minutes ago.

Just spoke with my PCC and she told me that the problem is with the Jewel not the Star. That was 5 minutes ago.

They are mistaken, sort of. Jewel DOES have the same problem, but so does Star. (Never let it be said that I accused them of prevaricating, just not having the most up to date information. This is the second time for Star and an azipod in the past 3-4 years). They are due in Juneau in half an hour (8 hours late), but does not look like they are going to make it even at that time, per the webcam. They just left Endicott arm about an hour ago.

NCL Star – Back to normal

Captain made an announcement that apparently something had hit the propeller and was causing the vibration. He indicated that they sent divers overboard in Ketchikan. The only thing they noticed was fresh scrape marks on the starboard propeller. However, there was no object on the propeller and everything else looked okay. As a result, they performed some tests and have concluded the ship can resume normal cruising speed with all four engines. Therefore, after leaving Juneau at 10pm tonight the ship will resume its normal itinerary including Prince Rupert.

This morning the ship went to Dawes Glacier instead of Sawyer. It was an incredible view. Not sure what Sawyer would have looked like, but Dawes was great. The weather is perfect with clear skies and cool crisp air.

We dock in Juneau at 2pm local time (45 minutes from this posting).

NCL Star – Back to normal

Captain made an announcement that apparently something had hit the propeller and was causing the vibration. He indicated that they sent divers overboard in Ketchikan. The only thing they noticed was fresh scrape marks on the starboard propeller. However, there was no object on the propeller and everything else looked okay. As a result, they performed some tests and have concluded the ship can resume normal cruising speed with all four engines. Therefore, after leaving Juneau at 10pm tonight the ship will resume its normal itinerary including Prince Rupert.

This morning the ship went to Dawes Glacier instead of Sawyer. It was an incredible view. Not sure what Sawyer would have looked like, but Dawes was great. The weather is perfect with clear skies and cool crisp air.

We dock in Juneau at 2pm local time (45 minutes from this posting).

You believe this?

What is the speed now??

Live cam seems to indicate about 10-12 knots!

Vested interest as we're sailing on 25/9

Cheers

Archived