Formal Nights

Jets1234

That's right 2 nights on a 7 day but don't use the "F" word anymore on a Carnival cruise.

The name has been changed to "Elegant Night" and the reason being they have "relaxed" the dress code to where it is so far from being a formal night no need to call it that anymore. They could not enforce the old dress code. Didn't care and didn't try to. Since the majority of passengers failed to follow the formal dress codes Carnival gave in and pretty much it's just a simply "come on down and we'll feed ya" attitude. I just got off the Fantasy today and I would say about 60% of the men and ladies would classify as "elegantly dressed". The other 40% was just there in whatever they saw fit to put on mostly relaxed casual. But hey it's a funship so who cares right?

So will I be totally out of place wearing my tuxedo on a Carnival ship? Have always cruised with Royal Caribbean and while I was in the minority I was never alone. For me wearing the tuxedo is a fun part of the cruise.

It sounds like I could be alone on a Carnival ship?

Or mistaken for a waiter?

I never wore a tux on a Carnival cruise and on my recent cruise I didn't see anyone wearing a tux. Since I heard about Carnival doing away with the formal nights I thought about not bringing my suit for my recent cruise but in the end decided what the heck, bring it with me.

DSC05831.jpg.2a3d955ddbd3c2c9cf22f9fc84e3b6e7.jpg

So will I be totally out of place wearing my tuxedo on a Carnival ship? Have always cruised with Royal Caribbean and while I was in the minority I was never alone. For me wearing the tuxedo is a fun part of the cruise.

I doubt you'll be mistaken for a waiter or even the Maitre 'D, so no worries there. :D

It always depends on the mix of the people on the ship itself as to who might dress "Formal" and who might dress "Elegant" for dinner, but as I remember people usually dress more "Formal" the first Elegant Night and less so the second Elegant Night.

It's your Cruise and your dinner, so dress how you like and enjoy yourself!

I saw tuxes on the Ecstasy last fall, not a lot but they were there.

I wore a sport coat every night to the MDR, but I did see some people in "dress shorts" though. I don't consider shorts "dressy" but to each his own. I liked having the sport coat available in case the AC was too cold in the theater for the shows.

It's comments like this "It's your Cruise and your dinner, so dress how you like and enjoy yourself!" that causes first timers trying to find out what to wear to not even look at the requirements for dress code on any night. It use to be stated in the ticket documents sent to you in the mail before you pack. Now it's all done online and hate to say not everyone who cruises has a home or office computer to print out what they need let alone read the fine print about dress code requirements. So by telling them here don't bother just come as you like encourages poor dress standards like gym shorts, short shorts (not long dress shorts), jean shorts, pants to the ground, tank tops, sleevless T shirts with rather rude sayings on them, etc. And then we hear about here about someone coming back from a cruise that was stunned by the 100s of people not dress to code.

What's wrong with check with Carnival's written requirements (not suggestions as some seem to think) and then dress as you see fit based on what they say?

I have a dilemma with my husband. On other cruise lines, he normally wears his tux, or at the least, a suit with white dress shirt and tie. For our upcoming Carnival cruise, he says he is only taking a sports jacket - navy blue blazer (or maybe wool since we will be sailing in November) and khaki's with a white shirt and tie. I think he should wear a suit, but he says that Carnival cruises are more casual than the other lines we frequent.

Is it alright for him to wear the blazer, and not a suit?

Your husband will be fine with a blazer and khakis. Mine has done that and been more dressed up than many others we have seen. Depends on our mood when we pack, if he takes a nice suit or a sport coat/blazer. He was actually talking about a tux for our next trip, don't know if he is or isn't - it will be whatever he feels comfortable doing.

I think you will look dashing! My husband and I took our first cruise in May and we dressed up for both formal/cruise elegant nights. I wore a floor length dress and he wore his tux. We loved it :D

If you like to buy your formal background photos they won't look so "formal" with him dressed like that. Besides I thought it was the wife that packed their husbands clothes for a cruise. And he wears what you packed for him to wear. When did that tradition change?

I have a dilemma with my husband. On other cruise lines, he normally wears his tux, or at the least, a suit with white dress shirt and tie. For our upcoming Carnival cruise, he says he is only taking a sports jacket - navy blue blazer (or maybe wool since we will be sailing in November) and khaki's with a white shirt and tie. I think he should wear a suit, but he says that Carnival cruises are more casual than the other lines we frequent.

Sail out of Mobile and he'll have people snapping his picture assuming he's a movie star.

You will not be out of place at all - and will look dashing :D I have seen several men in tuxedos on every Carnival cruise I have been on - especially the longer ones. Many women dress in long gowns or little black dresses :)

I did a shorter RCL and did not see any gentlemen in tuxes. I honestly think the length of the cruise has lots to do with it!

Your husband will be fine with a blazer and khakis. Mine has done that and been more dressed up than many others we have seen. Depends on our mood when we pack, if he takes a nice suit or a sport coat/blazer. He was actually talking about a tux for our next trip, don't know if he is or isn't - it will be whatever he feels comfortable doing.

My husbund and I just got married a few weeks ago and out side.. I had him wear nice dark pants and white shirt and tie.. he looked really handsom.. and so I am having him bring this for the formal nights... with high luggage costs and not much room no coat. but he will staill look classy... :eek:

You won't be totally out of place. I have always worn a tux (white jacket, black pants, and blue dolphin tie/vest) and I always will, although the vest has shrunk over the years. ;)

B&B

My husbund and I just got married a few weeks ago and out side.. I had him wear nice dark pants and white shirt and tie.. he looked really handsom.. and so I am having him bring this for the formal nights... with high luggage costs and not much room no coat. but he will staill look classy... :eek:

We didn't just get married, but I too, will be packing dark pants, white shirt and tie for my hubby. We are doing the Inspiration which only has 1 formal night and we are onlyl bringing carry ons, so no coat for him. I think he'll still look fine compared to what we saw on our last cruise on the Majesty. I was amazed at the fact that some people were wearing shorts during formal night. To each his own, but I like the idea of dressing up to a degree, since we don't have many formal places that we go to here in our town.

I have a dilemma with my husband. ... For our upcoming Carnival cruise, he says he is only taking a sports jacket - navy blue blazer (or maybe wool since we will be sailing in November) and khaki's with a white shirt and tie. ...

Your husband will be among the best dressed if he is wearing a jacket and a tie. In my experience, there will be a couple men wearing tuxes (or perhaps none). There will be a small percentage (10-15) wearing suits (and I mean "suit", not merely a jacket and tie). There will be another small percentage, perhaps 10-15% wearing some sort of jacket (e.g., blazer or sport coat) and tie. There will be a similar percentage wearing a jacket and dress shirt, but no tie and a similar percentage wearing a shirt and tie, but no jacket. The remainder will mostly be wearing what I would call "business casual" (khakis or other trousers with a dress or golf shirt).

While I've never made a point of sticking my head in to check, my sense is that the percentages of "better dressed" passengers increases with the late seating.

If you like to buy your formal background photos they won't look so "formal" with him dressed like that. Besides I thought it was the wife that packed their husbands clothes for a cruise. And he wears what you packed for him to wear. When did that tradition change?

We don't, and don't like having them made. :rolleyes: Never in our almost 32 years of marriage, have I ever packed for my husband.

Sail out of Mobile and he'll have people snapping his picture assuming he's a movie star.

:confused:

Your husband will be among the best dressed if he is wearing a jacket and a tie. In my experience, there will be a couple men wearing tuxes (or perhaps none). There will be a small percentage (10-15) wearing suits (and I mean "suit", not merely a jacket and tie). There will be another small percentage, perhaps 10-15% wearing some sort of jacket (e.g., blazer or sport coat) and tie. There will be a similar percentage wearing a jacket and dress shirt, but no tie and a similar percentage wearing a shirt and tie, but no jacket. The remainder will mostly be wearing what I would call "business casual" (khakis or other trousers with a dress or golf shirt).

While I've never made a point of sticking my head in to check, my sense is that the percentages of "better dressed" passengers increases with the late seating.

We do have late seating. BTW, I meant to say that DH would be wearing gray slacks for formal night, not khakis.

The remainder will mostly be wearing what I would call "business casual" (khakis or other trousers with a dress or golf shirt).

Good night! What do these men wear on casual night? :eek:

Archived