Marriott Waikiki Beach & Spa Resort

lonig

We stayed at the Marriott Waikiki Beach Hotel in Nov. through NCL & they booked us in the Paoakalani Tower instead of the Kealohilani Tower. We still got a view of the ocean from our balcony, but it was only a partial view & had to stand on balcony & look to far right to see the ocean. If you look directly across, all you see are other hotel rooms across the street & if look to left, see the mountains in distance. It would have been nicer to get one of the front tower rooms, but I don't think you get that through NCL. The room was quite satisfactory & the hotel isn't bad. For breakfast try the Kuhio Beach Grill buffet. It is wonderful. They have just about everything you could want for breakfast & also make fresh omletts with whatever you want on them. Their fresh fruit section is great. We didn't try this for dinner so don't know how that was. A very good recommendation for dinner would be to walk down 1-2 blocks to the Hyatt Regency Hotel & eat at The Colony. It is a little expensive, but delicious. We had a great spinach salad, twin lobster tails & garlic mashed potatoes. Don't know about dance places, as we didn't look for that. By all means though, get a Lava Flow drink from bar at pool at the Marriott. It is awesome. :D

If you like sushi, you can also eat at Sansei which is now located in the Waikiki Marriott - it's one of the more famous restaurants in Hawaii (original located on Maui) and is pretty good (doesn't do much in authentic Japanese sushi - much more of a fusion approach mixing in French influences). D.K. Kodama has also opened a steakhouse right next door for those whose tastes run more traditional ... :)

Spleen

Thanks for the information. I will ask to stay in the Kealohlani tower if that is the better one. I did not make reservations through NCL, I am a Marriott Rewards member so I hope they will put me in the front tower. No telling though what will happen, we will enjoy ourselves no matter what. Still haven't gotten any information about a dance club either in the hotel or nearby. Anyone else have any information would appreciate receiving it.

We stayed at the Marriott a year or so ago. Our room was in the tower fronting Kalakaua Ave right across from the beach. Our room overlooked the atrium area and beyond we could see the pool and the ocean. We loved that location - the hotel is huge - we could get in and out quickly and to the pool, laundry room, and the ABC store and the beach easily. We asked at check-in for that location and we were also using rewards. Enjoy our favorite place.

We are staying at the Marriott for two days prior to our cruise. We plan on renting a car from the Hertz desk at the hotel. I've heard that the hotel charges for parking and that charge is also applied to guests. I wondered if anyone knows if this is true and if it applies even to rentals.

Hi,

There is a great site: http://www.tripadvisor.com (type in 'Waikiki', then click on any of the hotels, then scroll down a ways and look to the left of the screen where all the hotels are listed in blue and click on the Waikiki Marriott) where people rate hotels the world over. This was how we picked the hotel. We had stayed at the Pacific Beach Hotel last year before a cruise and it was OK, but we wanted something nicer.

We will be staying at the Waikiki Marriott in May and I have been going through all of the comments from people who have stayed there. I am going to request the K building (closest to the water) and the side facing the sunset - not Diamond Head (which some say is the best).

Sorry, not sure about where dancing is either.

Brandy

We'll be at the Waikiki Marriott in three weeks. We got the Kama'aina rate(sorry Spleen, I'm pretty sure I spelled that wrong! I still need to get a Hawaiian dictionary;)) which includes parking. Parking is $18 dollars a day otherwise. This rate was the cheapest we were able to find. We have a friend that works for Marriott, and it was $20 cheaper than the friends and family rate.

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times. DH was there in October. We always ask for the back tower, and get a 55 room. This is a junior suite, which has two lanais and a sitting room. We are platinum with Marriott, and this is usually a free upgrade for DH. Course, he has stayed at this property for at least 4-1 month periods. He has been fortunate enough to even have the same housekeeper for these month long visits a couple of times. Last we had heard, they had renovated the front tower, but they didn't have the heavenly beds, and we adore those. We are always very happy with the back tower. Course, we used to live there, so we are content with the view. We're always so happy to be back and able to see our friends, we don't stress about the view.

• 2 weeks later...

Wave Waikiki - oldest nightclub in Waikiki - right at the entrance. Open until late (I think 3 am but not sure about that).

Other than that, I think the hottest clubs are outside of Waikiki. The Pipeline Cafe in Kakaako (near Ward Warehouse/Centre) is often talked about. And the Ocean Club in Restaurant Row has great pupus as well as definitely the "in" crowd.

Spleen

Archived