Thifty or Dollar in Kona - does it make any diff

cruznbelle

Quick question - going over my paperwork I realized I rented a car from both at the King Kam Hotel in Kona (on POA). I obviously need to cancel one. Dollar is cheaper by $7.00 (33.00 vs 40.00)- rented for a full day/night - Thrifty I have rented from 9am - 4pm same day. Knowing that the office closes at noon - other than price - is one any better than the other?

Thanks

Cheryl

I booked with Thrifty basically because the website let me put down a later return time. I assumed that meant they actually had an agent there to accept the returned cars for Thrifty. Dollar would not let you book unless you put in a noon drop off the same day or a time for the following morning. For piece of mind I went with Thrifty. However, once there you find the rental desk is one and the same for Dollar and Thrifty. THere is no agent to accept the return of Thrifty or Dollar if your return your car after 12:00 p.m. At the time I went (May 2010) you left your keys with the hotel desk clerk. I really did like this idea, but it was what it was. It seems to me they should have had some kind of documentation for you to sign that you actualy returned your car. However, I had no problems upon my return. It still made me a little nervous. All is well that ends well though. ;)

When I rented online in July, I found that it costs more if you say you will return it the same day instead of 24 hours later. This is how they make a little extra from the cruise passengers.

When I got to the desk I told them I was going to return it the same day and they quoted me a higher price than they quoted me online for returning it the next day. I showed them my printout for the lower price for a one day rental returning it the next day and they gave it to me for the lower price.

Hi,

I was just wondering, usually with car hire they hold a bond over your credit card. This can take up to a week to be released. So as we are hiring cars on 6 days at different ports and different companies, am I going to end up with like $6000 held against my card?

If thats the case I will have to be well prepared, as I usually only use my Wizard card when overseas, as it has no charges at all. However I load it up with cash, so I can make ATM withdrawals at no cost to me.

Wondering what peoples experience was with this? Dont want all my holiday cash tied up.

Cheers

Saffy

Hi,

I was just wondering, usually with car hire they hold a bond over your credit card. This can take up to a week to be released. So as we are hiring cars on 6 days at different ports and different companies, am I going to end up with like $6000 held against my card?

If thats the case I will have to be well prepared, as I usually only use my Wizard card when overseas, as it has no charges at all. However I load it up with cash, so I can make ATM withdrawals at no cost to me.

Wondering what peoples experience was with this? Dont want all my holiday cash tied up.

Cheers

Saffy

I would recommend calling the companies you are renting with and asking their policy. That way you can better plan.

Also, I think it's better to have separate cards for purchases and withdrawing money from the atm because if one is compromised than you still have the other.

When I rented online in July, I found that it costs more if you say you will return it the same day instead of 24 hours later. This is how they make a little extra from the cruise passengers.

When I got to the desk I told them I was going to return it the same day and they quoted me a higher price than they quoted me online for returning it the next day. I showed them my printout for the lower price for a one day rental returning it the next day and they gave it to me for the lower price.

I did try both ways for the day I was renting, but the price happened to be the same. I do know this is sometimes an issue. Good that you pointed it out so people can try pricing both ways.

Archived