Pacific Princess Questions

GrannyLorr

I am another one, hoping to begin my "cruising career" in the not too distant future. I am trying to read everything I can from books and Internet Boards etc.

The cruise I am hoping to go on, wont be until next year,(hubby will be retired then) but may as well find out all the info early.

Im looking at the Pacific Princess cruise, think its called a "repositioning cruise", where it leaves the USA and sails out to start its summer season in Australia. There are a few "legs" to this cruise and Im hoping to do the last 2.

I am getting confused as to wether its a "Princess" cruise or a "P & O Cruise"? Does anyone have any answers for me?

If its a P & O, I have read on these boards, that you can take your own alchohol on board, to drink in your cabin. Other things I have read, is that your luggage will be x rayed and bottles taken off you?

Can anyone shed any light on this subject for me please? I will have many more questions soon. Thanks in advance......

If it is repositioning to Australia, I would hazard a guess that it is under the Princess flag.

We took Pacific Princess (new) 11-03, when she repositioned from Tahiti to Sydney, and it very much was a Princess cruise (flag, entertainment, crew)

Can't answer your question re booze, we didn't try to take any aboard.

GrannyLorr - on Pacific Princess repositioning cruise to Australia, it is definitely a Princess ship (with the Princess rules re alcohol etc).

The ship sails under the P&O Australia 'flag' once she reaches Sydney and commences her 6 month season here.

I receive an email Newsletter from P & O called "Streamers"...and the cruises I am talking about were advertised in them, thats why I thought it must have been a P & O cruise.....no matter, I still want to go...its a 30 day from Bangkok to Cape Town, then a 28 day from Cape Town back to Sydney. It would be nice in a 2 month cruise, just to be able to sit quietly on our own balcony and have a drink sometimes.

Another thing I have read recently, because of the tightened security these days, is that things like scissors, knitting needles etc are not allowed on board. I can see the point....but was hoping to take a little bit of sewing with me to play with as I gaze out at the water.....(thats relaxing for an old girl like me) 2 months without sewing will be a pain (especially as I hope to pick up some nice materials in all the Exotic ports!) Anyone know anything about these rules?

GrannyLor, why dont you email P&O or Princess (whoever it is) and ask them ? Maybe you can put your sewing items in your onboard luggage, but not hand luggage or something like that...

I mean seriously is a granny going to take over a ship with a pair of scissors and two knitting needles.. :) What would you threaten them with a mismatched cardigan...

Enjoy your cruise !

Archived