cell phones in Tahiti

Sumar76

I have Verizon, and spoke with a representative today about having an international dialing set-up for my upcoming trip to FP.

The web site does say the Royal Princess has cruise ship coverage, but has anyone been to Tahiti and were able to use their Verizon cell phone?

Thanks, Sue

• 1 month later...
Oh they work, but an AT&T representative told me there is NO international calling in Tahiti. I can however use texting but it is 50 cents per text and goes against my usage.

This seems strange---we were doing some necessary businesss while in Bora Bora for a few days with both the US and a Princess ship somewhere in Europe.

We haven't had any problems with our phones--before AT&T we used Cingular--we both use IPhones--but not the new ones that just came out.

We do have world wide service now as we have had in the past years--Of course, you could run into a problem somewhere--just life___sometimes can be a problem for awhile.

What are you going to use your phone for---and are you also bring a lap top--in the last year we only bring a net book--seems to work OK.

I'd give you more information if I knew what you needed>>

Nancy:D

Nancy,

World wide service? I'm going to call and ask again. I would like to be able to check email and use my iphone apps.

I'm in Northern CA :)

We've had world wide service for a long time--started it with Cingular and now it's AT &T

Are you going to be both on land and on a cruise ship ????

I remember it working quite well on an OWB in Bora Bora--ours are not the latest that just came on the market a short time ago--we have the ones before that

Net book works also !!

I'm in Southern CA

Nancy,

World wide service? I'm going to call and ask again. I would like to be able to check email and use my iphone apps.

I'm in Northern CA :)

I remember about 3 years ago my phone ringing about 4 am and it was our home alarm company calling to let us know that the battery was low--they called every morning--finally I got my daughter to get them to stop--unfortunately you can receive lots of calls if you don't have them held--we just let what happens happen..

Let me know what happens with your phone--probably call them more than once --to see if you get any answers that match--same thing that you need to do when calling Princess--try to get the same answer twice.

With AT&T there are no discounted plans for French Polynesia. ATT Standard International Roaming rate is $2.29/min. If you had their World Traveler Service it would still be $2.29/min. If you make a call while the ships service is on (at sea) the charge will be $2.49/min. It is cheaper to text at $0.50/ msg sent unless you have a texting package.

The ATT rep told me it is better to leave your phone off because if somebody calls and it goes to your voicemail you will be charged the $2.29/min or $2.49/min on ship for them to leave you a message. Then when you call your voicemail to pick up the message it will be another $2.29 or $2.49 to receive it.

Hope this helps...

With AT&T there are no discounted plans for French Polynesia. ATT Standard International Roaming rate is $2.29/min. If you had their World Traveler Service it would still be $2.29/min. If you make a call while the ships service is on (at sea) the charge will be $2.49/min. It is cheaper to text at $0.50/ msg sent unless you have a texting package.

The ATT rep told me it is better to leave your phone off because if somebody calls and it goes to your voicemail you will be charged the $2.29/min or $2.49/min on ship for them to leave you a message. Then when you call your voicemail to pick up the message it will be another $2.29 or $2.49 to receive it.

Hope this helps...

You beat me to it MacTopper! I was in chat with a rep tonight and got the exact same info. Thank you - P.S. I'll be turning my phone OFF and going into digital detox. LOL!

Just returned from Tahiti on Sunday. My Buddy had an AT&T cell phjone and was told it would work fine on the islands by AT&T. I guess it would have except that the local carrier VINI just canceled servicing AT&T. We checked with the local VINI dealer thinking there was something wrong with the way the phone was set up and that's what he told us as the reason why his phone didn't work The phone worked while at sea using the Ship's cell phone system but did not work in any of the ports we visited. To verify you may want to go to the loacl carrier VINI and see if there is info on thier web site.

Hope this helps,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did a land based vacation in Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora. I have Verizon and use a Blackberry. I signed up for international roaming and my phone worked very well. The international roaming is an additional $20 per month for the data plan with unlimited usage and using the internet on my blackberry was many many times faster than the wifi at the hotels. The phone calls were expensive at $1.99 or so a minute. Verzion users can get service, the trick is having a phone with compatible network capabilities.

Archived