First Timers QM2 - Last Night Questions

iceman666

We are taking our first ever cruise by going Transatlantic on QM2 to New York on 16 April. We have a question about the last night on board.

Can anybody tell us what the dress is on the last night and, reading the brochure, we see that suitcases have to be left outside the cabin on that night. So, when are the cases taken away and, if dress is other than casual, would there be time to pack jacket, long dress, etc before the case is taken away ?

iceman66,

The dress code is usually casual (meaning a sport coat for men). I believe you need to have your bags in the hallway by 11 or midnight unless you are doing self-debarkation. With self-debarkation, you carry all the bags off the ship yourself.

Have a great cruise and enjoy the QM2. She is a great ship!

Ed

Thanks Cunarder. But what do you mean by self-debarkation ?

When we arrive in New York we expect to pick up a taxi from the ship (is that easy ?) and go to a hotel that we have booked ourselves. Does this mean we are self-debarking ?

Hoping you reply to this.

If I remember from my QM2 crossing the last night is casual dress. The last pickup for suitcases is quite late that night (or early in the morning). I do not remember any problem. The last night is a bit subdued (and early finishing) as people are packing, thinking about the end of the crossing and whatever is ahead. After dinner, drinks and entertainment I headed back to my cabin, put my evening clothes in my suitcase and left it outside my door. The only problem would be if you were partying until sunrise.

As you are crossing to New York, you will probably want to get up on the final morming at about 4AM. The approach to Manhattan is not to be missed.

A Cunard crossing is a wonderful and unique experience. A truly classic journey. Have a great time.

Best wishes, Stephen.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CunardShipQM2/

iceman66,

Self-debarkation is when you carry your luggage off the ship yourself. No porters are around. Self-debarkation takes place before the majority of people start leaving the ship. You usually can get off starting at around 7:45am (if Customs has cleared the ship). We usually get off this way. More to carry but you beat the crowd (especially to the taxis).

There will be taxis outside the terminal but it is better to go early. You have more of the day to wander around NY City also.

Ed

you may want to drag your luggage over to 11th or 10th avenue and hail a cab there. with a couple thousand passengers or so getting off the ship at the same time, getting a cab at the pier may be a task only insane people would do. I've done this many times. Always worked for me, than to stand in "that" line.

J.P.

We are taking our first ever cruise by going Transatlantic on QM2 to New York on 16 April. We have a question about the last night on board.

Can anybody tell us what the dress is on the last night and, reading the brochure, we see that suitcases have to be left outside the cabin on that night. So, when are the cases taken away and, if dress is other than casual, would there be time to pack jacket, long dress, etc before the case is taken away ?

We did the QE2 transatlantic sailing from Southampton, England to NYC July 2003. The last night is casual and your bags have to be packed and left outside your stateroom around midnight. There is no time to pack anything in there that you wear the night before. Except maybe your dinner jacket. I'd change right after dinner to get the clothes into the bags. Whatever you wear after dinner you'll be wearing in the morning to disembark. I recall that disembarkation wasn't too terrible. I'd recommend making arrangements with a taxi company or car service beforehand and using your cell phone to call to tell them when you get off the ship. We had a limo pick us up and called to tell him where we were. You may wish to check with the hotel to determine whether they have a pickup service. Have fun.

They allocate everybody a time slot for imigration. Noboddy seems to keep to it and the queues are horrendous. I still think it took me less than half an hour. You will miss a small portion of the sail into New York but it is not too bad. The whole sail into New York from the Verazano Narrows Bridge to Pier was about two hours on my crossing if I remember.

The whole packing, last meal, saying good bye, disembarkation, customs, immigration experience is always such a pain at the end of a crossing or cruise. It is a nasty welcome back to the real world.

What are your plans after or before the crossing?

When I crossed to Southampton on QE2, immigration staff were aboard for the crossing. That is a job I would like. You had your passport stamped during the crossing. Does anybody know if they do this on QM2?

Best wishes, Stephen.

PS. The only painless US immigration experience I have ever had was arriving on the Concorde. They just let you walk off with only a quick glance at the passport.

Hi Stephen,

Your answers and those of others have been most helpful.

We will be spending a few days in NY after leaving QM2 and have arranged to leave bags at the hotel in Manhattan as early as we get there. Then we can head off into the city.

It looks like self debarkation is best and then to find a taxi outside the terminal or book one - we'll have to decide.

We are in a P1 Suite. Can you tell me what duties we can expect our concierge to perform for us ?

Regards

Andrew

Everytime I cruise I say next time, I will do self disembarkation. The only problem is I often have a transfer arranged through Cunard and they leave during main disembarkation. If you are taking a taxi that will not be a problem.

I have not stayed in a P or Q grade cabin. I believe that the Concierge Lounge replace the Pusors and Tours Desks for the P and Q grade cabins. They do things like tour bookings, shipboard restaurant bookings, sell stamps and respond to general enquiries. Very much like a hotel reception and concierge on land.

Hope this helps, Stephen.

Archived