SUMMIT 9/5-9/12 Mini Review

JEDIKNIGHT

This is SECOND-HAND information, you should know that upfront. But I get so much info from here, I thought I should pass along someone's observations.

I sent someone very important to me on this cruise. He's worked in my company for 8 years and it was high time.

Married couple in their late 40's. This was their 1st cruise.

Since they've not cruised they can't provide a contrast to other cruise lines, but even a novice cruiser can express what they thought of the ship's condition, the crew, service levels, food quality.

I spoke to them in detail about 10 minutes ago. Anyway, comments they made:

EMBARKATION

Due to hurricanes the Summit was delayed, so they were stuck at Cape Liberty for 4 hours. Not X's fault and the weather luckily was good.

This was kind of a negative in that they were in the long line like everyone else. They saw a short line marked "Suites and Penthouses" and they were booked in a Royal Suite. He showed the lady, and she curtly said "I'm just doing what I was told, go back in that line". Then they saw at least 3 pax go into that short line so they asked again. The lady said "I'm not going to argue with you" and at that point, the fellow said "you're right. We're not going to argue. He crossed the rope, and nicely told her that he had a Royal Suite ticket, and that if she would like to stop him from using the Suite Line, a manager of the ship is more than welcome to. For some odd reason, she didn't take him up on that.

(These people aren't complainers or whiners. They are right out of a Norman Rockwell painting, as nice as can be and I'd trust them with anything of mine)

After that....everything was "wonderful".

ROYAL SUITE

The Suite was spotless, everything was in good working order, quiet.

BUTLER

KEITH was their Butler, and was very responsive. For instance they asked for hot water and tea one evening. After that, they never had to ask and it just magically arrived to their suite. Any other small requests, even help with the internet and computer were efficiently taken care of by Keith.

ROOM STEWARD/ASST

Sorry I just forgot their names but both did their work well in a non-obtrusive way. They were very affable and warm. The pax said that "most of the crew was so happy to see us, and it didn't seem fake. It really felt like we were friends".

FOOD

Normandie was given high marks, they ate their 2 nights. On the 2nd night, he said that it was the best filet he ever had, and could cut it with a fork.

Burger Grill: They used it alot, and enjoyed the burgers and hot-dogs.

Main Dining Room: They loved the food nightly, and said the waiter and service were excellent. "They'd do anything for you" was the comment.

SHORE EXCURSIONS

They felt everything was smooth and well organized.

CONDITION OF SUMMIT

They mentioned nothing bad about this topic. They it was like being in a Hilton or Hyatt hotel.

SERVICE

They felt everyone was gracious, and very eager to please. They gave extra tips to everyone on the last nite (our company policy is to tip well if warranted, we believe it comes back to us, we believe in people helping people, with minimal Uncle Sam needed).

On debarkation morning, their ass't steward literally walked a good distance to greet them in line, tell them how much he enjoyed meeting them. The point is, this was after the tip. It was genuine, and it was a better send-off than any glass of champagne could me. The pax told me they understood why I was adamant on using X for this cruise...and that he'd like to up OUR level of customer service at work and got some good pointers from X crew behavior.

FELLOW PAX

Like anything, a mixed bag. They met wonderful people during the long embarkation, and at dinner.

But they commented that many pax were....pushing, rushing, not holding doors open, jumping in buffet lines, barking at buffet crew. My pax, during a snowstorm check on their elderly neighbors, buy them groceries, etc so lack of courtesy is new to them.

It seems that the crew LOVED my friends. 2 crew who shall be nameless told the couple this...

"It's ok that we have some tough passengers. They pay money and want a good vacation. But we have really loved being with you and your wife. You were never rude, you never treated us like servants, and it meant alot to us. Even your waiter told us the same thing. Especially on the Cape Liberty cruises, alot of passengers treat us like slaves and it is very stressful. We will miss you guys and hope we see you again".

On formal night, I guess someone didn't wear a suit and was asked to leave. On their way out they stopped at the pax's table and said "Celebrity is ruining another meal for us, asking me to wear a suit". The pax nicely explained "well they told us upfront it's formal, and we're enjoying our dinner alot".

CONCLUSION

Again, this is fresh info, but second-hand info.

There has been some question about the Summit recently and while I WILL say that Mercury is superior to Summit in many ways (service/food)....I thought it was important to relay this information to CC users.

9/5 - 9/12 My Pax said that the service and food on Summit was wonderful, and they hope to cruise X again.

Again, I am merely passing along info which is 24 hours after someone debarked the Summit.

Jed, thank you very much for your comments.

Your employees sound like very nice people, treat everyone you meet as you would like to be treated, makes a big difference as you go through life :)

Hubby and I are on the Summit next April for its repositioning from San Juan, we do 3 Caribbean ports before an overnight in Bermuda, I am very exicited for this, even more after reading your review.

Thanks again!!

We sailed on the Summit August 15th and we observed some passengers who were verbally disrespectful to the staff. I did include my observations in detail on the customer commetnt card and again when Celebrity followed up with a phone call.

I was surprised at the attitude of some of the passengers.

We had an overall pleasant experience. Hopefully they will improve the facilities at Bayonne.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately do, we always run into rude, pushy people on cruise. It's almost like they leave any manners that they might have at the dock because it's vacation and they think they are entitled or something.

I just ignore them and enjoy my vacation. I try to treat the staff nicely.

They work very hard and are always friendly when I see them.

Sounds like you have a great employee - it's nice that you were able to send them on this cruise.....you're a good boss!

so far, the food has been rather so-so, for me. Eggs Benedict in the Waterfall Cafe were cold (the fresh made), a hamburger was also luke warm, the day we embarked, however, the Specialty was over excellent..we received a comp the first night as we are in a Royal. We plan to eat there a few more times. Our only dinner last night in the main restaurant was good, not excellent.

There are about 400 Elites on board, and also 1400 Captains Club, according to our butler Rikki.

All in all...a great cruise so far.

This is SECOND-HAND information, you should know that upfront. But I get so much info from here, I thought I should pass along someone's observations.

I sent someone very important to me on this cruise. He's worked in my company for 8 years and it was high time.

Married couple in their late 40's. This was their 1st cruise.

Since they've not cruised they can't provide a contrast to other cruise lines, but even a novice cruiser can express what they thought of the ship's condition, the crew, service levels, food quality.

I spoke to them in detail about 10 minutes ago. Anyway, comments they

made:

EMBARKATION

Due to hurricanes the Summit was delayed, so they were stuck at Cape Liberty for 4 hours. Not X's fault and the weather luckily was good.

This was kind of a negative in that they were in the long line like everyone else. They saw a short line marked "Suites and Penthouses" and they were booked in a Royal Suite. He showed the lady, and she curtly said "I'm just doing what I was told, go back in that line". Then they saw at least 3 pax go into that short line so they asked again. The lady said "I'm not going to argue with you" and at that point, the fellow said "you're right. We're not going to argue. He crossed the rope, and nicely told her that he had a Royal Suite ticket, and that if she would like to stop him from using the Suite Line, a manager of the ship is more than welcome to. For some odd reason, she didn't take him up on that.

(These people aren't complainers or whiners. They are right out of a Norman Rockwell painting, as nice as can be and I'd trust them with anything of mine)

After that....everything was "wonderful".

ROYAL SUITE

The Suite was spotless, everything was in good working order, quiet.

BUTLER

KEITH was their Butler, and was very responsive. For instance they asked for hot water and tea one evening. After that, they never had to ask and it just magically arrived to their suite. Any other small requests, even help with the internet and computer were efficiently taken care of by Keith.

ROOM STEWARD/ASST

Sorry I just forgot their names but both did their work well in a non-obtrusive way. They were very affable and warm. The pax said that "most of the crew was so happy to see us, and it didn't seem fake. It really felt like we were friends".

FOOD

Normandie was given high marks, they ate their 2 nights. On the 2nd night, he said that it was the best filet he ever had, and could cut it with a fork.

Burger Grill: They used it alot, and enjoyed the burgers and hot-dogs.

Main Dining Room: They loved the food nightly, and said the waiter and service were excellent. "They'd do anything for you" was the comment.

SHORE EXCURSIONS

They felt everything was smooth and well organized.

CONDITION OF SUMMIT

They mentioned nothing bad about this topic. They it was like being in a Hilton or Hyatt hotel.

SERVICE

They felt everyone was gracious, and very eager to please. They gave extra tips to everyone on the last nite (our company policy is to tip well if warranted, we believe it comes back to us, we believe in people helping people, with minimal Uncle Sam needed).

On debarkation morning, their ass't steward literally walked a good distance to greet them in line, tell them how much he enjoyed meeting them. The point is, this was after the tip. It was genuine, and it was a better send-off than any glass of champagne could me. The pax told me they understood why I was adamant on using X for this cruise...and that he'd like to up OUR level of customer service at work and got some good pointers from X crew behavior.

FELLOW PAX

Like anything, a mixed bag. They met wonderful people during the long embarkation, and at dinner.

But they commented that many pax were....pushing, rushing, not holding doors open, jumping in buffet lines, barking at buffet crew. My pax, during a snowstorm check on their elderly neighbors, buy them groceries, etc so lack of courtesy is new to them.

It seems that the crew LOVED my friends. 2 crew who shall be nameless told the couple this...

"It's ok that we have some tough passengers. They pay money and want a good vacation. But we have really loved being with you and your wife. You were never rude, you never treated us like servants, and it meant alot to us. Even your waiter told us the same thing. Especially on the Cape Liberty cruises, alot of passengers treat us like slaves and it is very stressful. We will miss you guys and hope we see you again".

On formal night, I guess someone didn't wear a suit and was asked to leave. On their way out they stopped at the pax's table and said "Celebrity is ruining another meal for us, asking me to wear a suit". The pax nicely explained "well they told us upfront it's formal, and we're enjoying our dinner alot".

CONCLUSION

Again, this is fresh info, but second-hand info.

There has been some question about the Summit recently and while I WILL say that Mercury is superior to Summit in many ways (service/food)....I thought it was important to relay this information to CC users.

9/5 - 9/12 My Pax said that the service and food on Summit was wonderful, and they hope to cruise X again.

Again, I am merely passing along info which is 24 hours after someone debarked the Summit.

That was so nice of you to give a gift of a cruise on the Summit to an employee, I'm sure they were thrilled.

We also had a nasty person at the pier. Celebrities web site said to arrive no earlier than four an no later than six which is what we did. We are elite members so we get priority embarkation also, so I asked a lady where the elite member check in was and she said "get on this line, its the end of the day, go on" I was wondering why she considered the time Celebrity asked us to arrive at the pier the end of the day until we checked in and saw a sea of people waiting to get on the ship. In no way do I blame Celebrity for the delay due to the weather and I had a wonderful cruise on the Summit but just thought perhaps your employee met the same nasty lady at the pier as we did.

Archived