Additional expenses!!!

Young&InLove

If you could choose a number, to take on the boat for onboard expenses.

NOT INCLUDING: coke cards, excursions, tips..

but all the other onboard things.. how much would you take for 1 person for a 7 night eastern caribbean cruise?

THANKS!

For us, our main other expense is wine. Maybe a little in the gift shop. So $100 per person would cover us for a week

If you could choose a number, to take on the boat for onboard expenses.

NOT INCLUDING: coke cards, excursions, tips..

but all the other onboard things.. how much would you take for 1 person for a 7 night eastern caribbean cruise?

THANKS!

We usually set aside $500 each for a 7 day cruise for onboard expenses. This pays for all alcohol, photos, specialty eating, ships store items, wine tastings, and whatever else might catch our attention while onboard. Looking at it this way sounds like we are big drinkers, but we like a bottle of wine with each dinner (two deprending on what's on the menu) with drinks before. I don't think, though, that we have ever exceeded that amount.:rolleyes:

thanks, larry!

$500 seems like a good amt.

we'll have excursions & coke cards paid off before we get on.. so i just wanted to be prepared.

and i'm taking an extra $200.. for deposits on a future cruise with RCCL! taking advantage of the benefits and low deposits!

Since you're going to easily put 2,500 miles on your car, don't forget to budget a tune-up or at least an oil change. If you've been neglecting something like new tires, don't take a chance on the open road. Well, then again, having a blow out on your side of the country is different than having a blow out in the middle of Nevada!

The drive is what 20 hours? What kind of roadtrippers are you? Do you trade off every 200 miles? Does one drive while the other sleeps? In either case, you shouldn't wait until you get on your cruise to set your clocks straight. So, definitely factor in a pre-cruise hotel room for a night or two. For that drive, I'd leave 2 days before the cruise and become fully rested the day before!

I know this isn't a pleasant thing to budget for, but what if you or your bf sprain an ankle and need to see the doctor. It's never unwise to budget for a medical emergency. On an emergency note, make sure you have emergency funds for a worst case scenario emergency and you need to fly home or some sort.

What about money for the duty free shop? Can't beat 2 cartons of cigs for $49!

Has anybody mentioned gifts for family and friends? Maybe show your mom how much taste you don't have a buying her a silly, hideous caribbean dress of some sort. You can pretend that you think it's the perfect thing for her and that she must wear it or you'd be heart broken. Lay it on thick! lol

The drive is around 18 hours. We typically drive to Miami though.. which is still a little farther.. We just don't like airports, having to worry about luggage fees, weights, sizes, etc. We already factored in the hotels..

Pittsburgh - Columbia

Columbia - Lauderdale

We trade off every 4-5 hours, so around 300 miles each. If one is tired we sleep, if not we stay up.

We bought insurance which will cover medical emergencies on board but t anything in the car.. we'll take a chance with that one ;)

In August.. we got my mom a carton of cigs for $17 each!! Crazy!! One pack is 7 bucks here. And she knows I have bad taste-but not awful! But I like the idea. Maybe for a friend! :D

We budget travel insurance, which I realize is pre-cruise, but just something to be aware of as an expense. Also, pre-cruise and/or post-cruise hotel, with tips to hotel staff. Taxi/shuttle to port, tips to porters, luggage handlers. We also budget for the pets to stay at the doggie spa while we are on vacation. This is a pretty big expense so just wanted to mention this as something else to think about when planning. We also budget for the wash & fold "bag" special. We like to have a few things laundered prior mid-week. Luggage fees at the airport can be avoided and we don't have to schlep as much luggage round if we do the wash & fold. Plus, we don't carry as many t-shirts as needed since we always know we will purchase a few on the ship or in the ports. That lightens the luggage too.

griffy. great suggestions. we don't have pets, but i'm sure many people reading this thread do! goooood thoughts. i appreciate the input!

Yeah and if this helps - 2 Dogs, staying at a pet sitter's house for 11 days - $420 ($35/day). Yiiikes!

WOW! I can't even imagine! I don't have any pets so I wasn't sure how much it is, but jeez you should bring the dog on the cruise! Haha.

Any other things you guys can think of? Also posted on another thread was that SW airlines took over Airtran so there may not be any baggage fees for Airtran anymore.

YAY! :D

Many people fail to factor in the psychiatric services fees for treatment of obsessive-compulsive behaviour and major stress related to getting wigged out over every little penny you spend on a cruise.

Then there is the post cruise treatment for people who completely destroy that great relaxed serene feeling they have from the cruise by driving for 18 hours straight in order to get home without paying for a flight or hotel.

Many people fail to factor in the psychiatric services fees for treatment of obsessive-compulsive behaviour and major stress related to getting wigged out over every little penny you spend on a cruise.

Then there is the post cruise treatment for people who completely destroy that great relaxed serene feeling they have from the cruise by driving for 18 hours straight in order to get home without paying for a flight or hotel.

....hilarious....

Heeheehee....CC needs a like button! Laughed out loud!!

jillocb, my petsitter charges the same price, but comes to my home for two-three daily visits to feed, walk, play with my two dogs and my cat. well, for the two dogs, she just searches all the hiding places for the cat and gets hissed at....knowing all is well! :D

But it is completely worth the expense to me knowing that my babies are happy in their home and well taken care of so that I can enjoy my trip!!

Young&InLove, sounds like you (and other posters) have thought of everything. Now sit back, relax and enjoy the anticipation!!

I'm glad you found this thread "lurk-worthy" :D

Well, hello right back at ya.. how about the Giants!!! That was a nail biter huh!

I'm not really following the play-off's too much. My teams not in it, so I don't have much interest. I know that's bad. LOL. :p

Archived