What time to be back on ship at port stop?

winterfleer

To those that have sailed recently:

How much time prior to the scheduled departure time do passengers have to be back on ship? The NCL website says 2 hours, which is a lot more than when I sailed previously. It always seemed like the "back on ship" time was 1 hour prior to departure. That was January, 2009.

Thanks.

2 hours is for the original port of embarkation. All passengers onboard at the ports 30 minutes before departure.
But don't cut it too close. I've seen many passengers running after the ship as it left port... and then seen those same passengers boarding the ship at the next port of call two days later.

How much time prior to the scheduled departure time do passengers have to be back on ship? The NCL website says 2 hours, which is a lot more than when I sailed previously. It always seemed like the "back on ship" time was 1 hour prior to departure. That was January, 2009.

Thanks.

The 2 hours refers to the first time you board the ship, when you are first starting your cruise. After that, in various ports, 30 minutes is the absolute "must be back" time. I usually plan to be back an hour before the ship is to set sail, to allow time for anything unexpected.

Always check before you leave the ship, though, to make sure your watch corresponds with ship time (dont rely on your cell phone, which might switch to a local time!), and watch for notices on the ship as to when they expect you back!

Just came off the Star on 9/11. We had to tender in Juneau because of an itinerary change. The last tender was supposed to depart the dock in Juneau to head to the ship at 9:30, ship's departure time was scheduled to be at 10:00.

When we headed to the dock to get in line for a tender it was 8:30, 1 hour ahead of the last scheduled tender, and the line was SO long! It made me nervous for those who kept coming and coming behind us. I think we departed Juneau by the 10pm scheduled departure time, but I am not one who likes to cut things even that close!

In all of our ports, they asked us to be back on the ship 30 minutes prior to sailing.

[/quote=Hikini;26075681]

When we headed to the dock to get in line for a tender it was 8:30, 1 hour ahead of the last scheduled tender, and the line was SO long! It made me nervous for those who kept coming and coming behind us. /quote]

We are very nervous about missing the ship, so would never think of cutting it close (on purpose), but if you are in line for the tenders I would assume they would keep running tenders until everyone in line is on board, right? If the last tender is scheduled for 9:30, then you are not late at 9:15, no matter how people are in front of you in line. Or am I being naïve?

Joy and Brad

The ship will not wait for you. Be on time... Thirty minutes... Its always fun watching the late ones run...

Watch this below:

That's the highlight of Chris' cruise afternoons! She will go to the other side of the ship if our balcony doesn't face the pier.:p

[/quote=Hikini;26075681]

When we headed to the dock to get in line for a tender it was 8:30, 1 hour ahead of the last scheduled tender, and the line was SO long! It made me nervous for those who kept coming and coming behind us. /quote]

We are very nervous about missing the ship, so would never think of cutting it close (on purpose), but if you are in line for the tenders I would assume they would keep running tenders until everyone in line is on board, right? If the last tender is scheduled for 9:30, then you are not late at 9:15, no matter how people are in front of you in line. Or am I being naïve?

Joy and Brad

No you are correct.

What happens if you miss the boat while in port? How do you get to the next port? Is there another boat NCL has to transport latecomers, at their expense? Fly? Do you just stand at the dock and watch the ship leave? How do you know what to do next?

See previous posts with the link to youtube. You can see for yourself.

Thanks.

The 2 hours is for boarding/embarkation day.

Usually, in ports the boarding time is one 1/2 hour before sailing. Always check your dailies!

Err on the side of caution if doing your own tours and aim to be on-board one hour before sailing!

[/quote=Hikini;26075681]

Joy and Brad

if you are in line for a tender they will keep running them until all passengers inline are aboard!

What happens if you miss the boat while in port? How do you get to the next port? Is there another boat NCL has to transport latecomers, at their expense? Fly? Do you just stand at the dock and watch the ship leave? How do you know what to do next?

NCL does not transport latecomers to the next port. YOU have to figure out how to get to the next port. The ship's newsletter always give the local agent's name/address/phone for each port. I would think that maybe that agent will help with info about getting to the airport for flight, of maybe if the ship is just a short distance, maybe help charter a pilot boat to get there (your expense). But I'm not sure. All I know is it's the passenger's problem.

To answer your question, you get to the next port on your own, at your expense. The daily gives the name of the poet agent. It is wise to stick that in your bag, if you have to contact the ship for any reason hile ashore. The agent will assist you in finding transportation onward.

Al

:)

To answer your question, you get to the next port on your own, at your expense. The daily gives the name of the poet agent. It is wise to stick that in your bag, if you have to contact the ship for any reason hile ashore. The agent will assist you in finding transportation onward.

Al

I like an agent who is a poet. Might get my blood pressure down if I missed da boat.

Archived