Godfrey's Tour - Beach suggestion

glin930

Hi,

I heard a lot of good review on Godfrey's tour in St. Thomas. Does anyone has any suggestion which beach we should go: Megan, Coki, & Sapphire. I am a family of 4 (me, my wife, and two boys age 3 & 7) and prefer beach with no nudity, white sand, clear water, fun for family type.

Thanks

glin930,

We are doing Godfreys tour in April and I have decided to go to Coki. Its suppose to be a great beach for snorkling. I also have two boys, and they love that stuff. From what I hear you don't have to even go out very far in the water to see many fish. That means I can relax on the beach and not be as worried if they were out over their heads. -QLOTP:)

If Godfrey tells you that the water isn't clear at Coki and suggests a little place called Secret Harbor - GO! I don't know if there is snorkeling there, but it is a lovely strip of beach. Not crowded, palm trees, chairs and hammocks at no charge.

I just got an email from Godfrey yesterday. You can just do just the tour from 12-2 and then the beach from 2-4 and omit the shopping. We booked for shopping-tour-beach.........for $20 pp~paid on the day of the tour. If you scroll thru this site, you can get his web address or do a google search. I read through 10 pages of this site and didn't read one bad review of him! Everyone seemed very pleased with his tour. His open safari bus looked pretty cool to us!

Hello,

Just a note: Secret Harbor is a great beach as mentioned. It does have snorkeling - pretty good along the right side, along the rocks. Its usually not crowded, has a good restaurant & bar there. There is a charge for chairs for non-guests; a beach attendant usually is walking around keeping an eye out... sometimes he or she might miss you but pretty much everytime I have been they approach for the payment. Overall a very good choice for a beach day.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Hi,

I heard a lot of good review on Godfrey's tour in St. Thomas. Does anyone has any suggestion which beach we should go: Megan, Coki, & Sapphire. I am a family of 4 (me, my wife, and two boys age 3 & 7) and prefer beach with no nudity, white sand, clear water, fun for family type.

Thanks

We did Sapphire Beach last week on Godfrey's tour - it was awesome!! Dh did some snorkelling off the beach and said it was wonderful - even better than the cruiseline-booked excursion the next day in St. Martin. HTH's

Yes - secret harbor has snorkelling. The coral to the right is great - incredible variety of fish. to the left is sea grass. when we were there last fall we ran into some sea turtles over the grass along with rare blue rays. Do ask how the seas are - on the same day we had headed for sapphire first - but the seas were rough and secret was recommended as an alternative - the "natives" know where the waves are hitting - and where they're safer. enjoy!

I emailed him late Thursday night and he emailed me back on Friday night. I am very anxious to do his tour as this board rates him so highly.

Is there anywhere (lockers maybe) to lock up our cameras while at the beach part of the trip? I want it to be accessible for some time during the beach part but do not want to leave it out on the beach while in the water.

Thanks!

We recently did Godfrey's tour and would recommend it.

Flintstone: We booked him 9 months in advance, but you can book later than that. Give it a try.

Gonna Go Cruisin: Godfrey will keep your stuff locked in the cab in the front seat with him. No worries.

To all: I would NOT choose to go back to Coki Beach unless you want to snorkel. The majority of the tour group wanted to go to Coki to snorkel and my wife wanted to stay with the group. Coki Beach itself is a very narrow and crowded stretch of fairly unattractive sand and overpriced beach chairs / umbrellas.

Do yourself a favor and go to Megan's Bay instead. Yes, you have to pay $3 per person, but you get one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, it's clean, and its not crowded.

Our full (and very detailed) Eastern Caribbean review can be found here:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/easterncaribbean.html

We went on Godfrey's tour last week and it was great. As for the beach we had our heart set on Coki. Godfrey reccomended Saphire, not Coki or Megan's Bay because they are very crowded. Saphire is very good for snorkeling and is much larger without as many people.

He drove by Coki and we agreed we did not want to go there. Saphire exceeded our expectations and we wii definentely stick to Saphire if we go there again.

There was also a local artist that has a little shop on the beach. Her works were absolutely beautiful and we ended up buying 4.

As for Godfrey's tour being to good to be true at $20. - this is a very mass produced tour. It is not just Godfrey doing this tour. There are abour 100 other safari style taxis that give this exact tour for the same price and often times thay are waiting for each other to finish or to move out of the way so they can get in there.

:confused: Help! I have sent two emails to the email address listed for Godfrey and have had no response. Leaving on the Glory March 19th, maybe they answer closer to departure date? If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Beasleysmom,

I will be on the 3/19 Glory. We booked with Godfrey to shop, tour, then beach. I'm leaning towards Cokki, because my 7 year old has never seen the fish up close.

Godfrey did take several days to answer each email I sent, but he does answer them. If you still haven't heard from him, try again.

Peg

Archived