Help - need feedback/advice, cruising with 8 month old on 11 night cruise

lord500

Morning all,

Just took the plunge and booked an 11 night cruise with my wife and baby boy (RCCL). He will be 8.5 months at the time of sailing. I need some advice, feedback and lesson's learned from others who've gone before.

First, I was a bit mislead by the one agent I spoke wiht on the phone when they told me that diapers, forumula and baby food were available (when we were discussing that they were chargning my baby $600 to cruise). I say mislead because I was under the impression that these items were included in the $600 fee, but now I discover that those are exta's.

So couple key first questions:

1 - food. so far we've been feeding him (6 mos currently) steamed vegies and blended fruit in addition to his formula. Am I going to be able to request steamed veggies for him on the boat (say at the wind jammer)

2 - what is the cost of the food packages compared with buying and bringing on board? I get into florida the day ahead, so I could always pick some up locally and bring on board myself. Is it that much of a diff in cost?

3 - any other feedback in general? What do I need to know? I heard something about babies not being allowed in the pools - is this strictly enforced? (cruising on the jewel, smallish boat so no splash park).

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Brian

It is true that little ones in diapers are not allowed in pools and it is enforced. Accidents cause the pool to be shutdown and out of commission for a day. This makes for some very unhappy fellow travelers. Many people bring a little blow up pool so your baby can splash and play. It also serves a double purpose of being able to give a bath. Unless your in a suite, there are no bath tubs.

At 8.5 mos....your child won't even KNOW there's a pool unles you point it out....

You do need to bring all the "stuff" for baby...the ship carries very little by way of diapers, wipes, etc.....what they do have will be majorly expensive and may not be the size or brand you need.

You can "special order" some things in the dining room....in the WJ buffet, you'll simply have to choose from what's available. There will be plenty of bananas and other fruits that you can "smush"...and there's oatmeal and dry cereals (for finger snacks). In the dining room, they will puree things, if you need them to. Applesauce, mashed potatoes and other "softer" foods are on the menu.

Yes...there will be a huge price difference in bringing your own stuff vs. buying it from RCI...HUGE!

Cruising with a baby is different from cruising as a couple, but it's worth it...just takes some planning!

Oh--and that 'blow up" pool is good for bathing baby....unless you're in a JS or above, there are only showers!

ITA about the pool! He won't know it exists and definitely cannot go in it in diapers of any kind. The blow up pool is a great option. Use it for bathtime as well and take a few bath toys to play with.

I suggest a balcony cabin, if you can afford it, so you have a place to go while the baby naps, otherwise, you could find yourself twiddling your thumbs in a dark room unable to make a sound for long periods of time...

I would not rely on the cruise line for anything.... Take what you need and don't expect to find it on board. It will be a nice surprise if you do, but at least you'll have all your needs covered. We also used to take an electric tea kettle to boil water for formula which worked well. This was on Princess 9 years ago, however... Not sure about RCCL.

Don't take too large a stroller.... Often ours was too wide to fit through a narrow cabin door, when our DD was sleeping in it, which was a pain...

It's a lot easier to cruise with an 8 month old than an 18 month old, so enjoy it and don't worry about it. The most challenging thing to me was trying to find a quiet place to feed my DD because so many people kept coming up to us and watching her because they liked seeing a cute baby being fed...

-Take all of the formula you will need for the trip

-Small container of dish soap to wash out the bottles and drying rack

-Take all of the diapers and wipes you will need for the trip. There are usually one package of diapers in the gift shop in the size you don't need.

-Take any infant medications you might need and a thermometer.

thanks for the advice folks - if you have any other suggestions keep'em coming!

I like the idea about the zip locks - makes sense and would make life easier when trying to root through and piece outfits together (never a father's strong suit).

I want to try and expose Jr to as much of the food on board as appropriate before the cruise (don't want to chance a reaction while in the ocean). As such, can you recall what sorts of foods generally are available in the wind jammer and such.... cheereos, bananas, grapes?, oranges, etc .....

what about some of the more exotic fruits, again so he can try em out before we leave.

(I'm in canada.... most fruits are imported!)

Thanks again for the advice

B.

Here's what we did .... prior to getting on the ship, stop by a Wal-mart or Target and purchase all the diapers and formula you need and others baby items. Have them put it in a box and seal the box .. take this box as a carry on onto the ship .... is was much better than packing everything from home assuming you are traveling to the port. Have fun ...

thanks for all the feedback folks,

Yes, I am traveling to the port (FLL) from Canada. I booked the flights yesterday to give me an extra 1/2 day in Fort Laud to pick up supplies before the cruise. (been also reading the rum running thread....hilarious). I'll be sure to hit Walmart or Target before hopping on board.

We'll be on the Jewel of the Seas, so no it doesn't have a baby pool. Looks like the little man will have to get his fill of water at the hotel before and after, in the shower while cruising and in the ocean while in port....

Looking forward to it.... starting to count the days down~

Brian

Archived