Zip lining safety

btvp

Hello,

New member and first post here.

We will be in Costa Rica on the Carnival Freedom on Nov 24, 2010 and we are looking for a good shore excursion. Many of the excursions involve zip lining and it looks like a lot of fun. However, I am concerned about the safety of the activity and the safety standards of the various zip lining locations.

Can anyone comment on the safety aspect of zip lining? The tour operator I am considering is Greenway tours, so if anyone could comment specifically on the zip lining location they use it would be most helpful.

Thanks

Bob

Back in my college days, I built these things. When properly constructed maintained and operated they are extremely safe. We built ours to sustain a minimum of 2000 pounds on any part of the line as an example.

Things to look for:

You always want an adjustable seat harness that wraps around each leg and wait. A chest harness (X-style is a plus) and of course a helmet.

Look at the pulley for signs of heavy rust or wear (a little rust is normal over a season). Bad pulley maintenance usually means they also neglect other areas.

And of course the person checking the harnesses etc should know what they are doing.

Hello,

New member and first post here.

We will be in Costa Rica on the Carnival Freedom on Nov 24, 2010 and we are looking for a good shore excursion. Many of the excursions involve zip lining and it looks like a lot of fun. However, I am concerned about the safety of the activity and the safety standards of the various zip lining locations.

Can anyone comment on the safety aspect of zip lining? The tour operator I am considering is Greenway tours, so if anyone could comment specifically on the zip lining location they use it would be most helpful.

Thanks

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

This is in response to Pami1968's post.

That's interesting. I have heard that Jungle Breezes is among the best, and in fact, we have tentatively booked a tour through Okeydokey tours that goes there.

Could you say more specifically why you would not recommend going there?

Thanks

Bob

In Puntarenas, we used Adventure Park Vista Golfo. Barbara and her husband are the owners. You have the option of taking horseback to the first platform, about a 45-minute ride (fabulous). There were 23 zips and 2 rapels, mostly over waterfalls. We had 1 English speaking guide and 2 Spanish speaking. Safety was always their #1 concern. All equipment was clean and in great working order. Barbara even explained how they built their platforms to protect the trees - it was really fascinating.

We are 43 and 41 and our kids are 16 and 23. We had a great time and would highly recommend it.

Heidi

• 2 weeks later...
I went to Jungle Breezes for ziplining, and I would never recommend that place to anyone.

I do not understand why you say this without giving any details.

We used Eduardo with Your Lucky Tours in April of this year. He was GREAT. We had a group of 10 from ages of 10 to 53 and went zip lining at Jungle Breezes. I am a person who pays close attention to how things are working and taken care of. I thought the place was well run and equipment in very good shape. The peope on the platforms were very good.

Rick

Just back from the Princess Coral and did zip line in Costa Rica with Adventure Park Vista Golfo and seaweavers I agree with you that it was amazing. My DH is an engineer and inspected the equipment closely for safety. Everything was in excellent condition and maintained well. The guides were very mindful of our safety at all times. We were a group of 5 ranging in age from 24 to 56 and everyone was pleased with the entire package at Vista Golfo.

Archived