How long does it take to get off the ship at ports?

jwright98

Hi. I am going on my first cruise next week on the Solstice. Tell me, exactly how long does it take to get off at the following ports?

• Grand Cayman
  • Roatan
  • Costa Maya
  • Cozumel

I understand it takes longer with ports that are tendered. I think GC is the only one that uses tenders but I could be wrong. We don't anticipate scheduling an excursion through the ship. What is the process? Should we anticipate waiting an hour or so?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate the feedback.

Great question... no answer tho since it will be out first cruise too!

We are on the same itinerary in two weeks ... so I would love to see the answers!

We booked an (independent) excursion in CG, that starts at 9:15 , ship docks at 7 so Im assuming we will have enough time, since we booked AQ?

They do have a forum dedicated only to shore excursions

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Usually Caribbean ports clear cruise ships pretty fast, so if it is a port where you are docking you likely will be able to get off the ship within 5-15 minutes of the scheulded arrival time. Of course occasionally ships arrive late and/or something unusual occurs to delay local authorities clearing the ship - so it is never a guarantee you will be off the ship close to scheduled arrival time.

For Grand Cayman the first couple of tenders will be reserved for people who booked excursions through the cruise line. It may take about an hour for you to get to shore from Grand Cayman since you will be unlikely to get on the first couple of tenders.

I forgot to mention that the GC excursion we booked thru an independent company we did not have to pay in advance nor did they require credit card or a deposit. They also state on their web site that if the ship cannot dock in time and you have paid for the excursion they will refund your money.

I guess the trick is to make sure you are dealing with a reputable company ... this site is great to find those.

I forgot to mention that the GC excursion we booked thru an independent company we did not have to pay in advance nor did they require credit card or a deposit. They also state on their web site that if the ship cannot dock in time and you have paid for the excursion they will refund your money.

I guess the trick is to make sure you are dealing with a reputable company ... this site is great to find those.

Yes, it is important to do business with reputable companies. Most do not require any deposit and do not charge if your ship does not make it in time for the excursion. It is not all that uncommon for ships to have to miss a port (i.e. due to weather, mechainical problems, diversion due to medical emergency etc.) or to arrive late - so never book with a company that charges you even if the ship does not make it in time. I too have found some great private vendors through people's recommendation here on Cruise Critic.

FYI you do not dock in Grand Cayman, but the ship will drop anchor in the harbor and you will be tendered in to the port on small vessels.

Find it odd Grand Cayman probably one of the more affluent islands but too cheap to build a proper port. :confused:

Has nothing to do with being cheap. There are fragile ecosystems such as coral reefs near the shore that the large cruise ships would damage if they were to dock.

Which tour did you schedule in Cayman? Native-something? I am currently looking into that. Thanks again all!

Archived