Who has taken the train from Marseille to Aix en Provence

queenL

Hi,

We are thinking of taking a DIY tour of Aix. What train station is nearest the pier, how much is the train ride? How do I find out the train schedule?

Would it be simpler to take a taxi tour from the pier?

If you are on MSC SPLENDIDA you will berth at MPCT (Marseille Provence Cruise Terminal) which is not in walkable distance to the City Center and any train station.

I am sure that MSC will provide a shuttle at fee to the Old Port (Vieux Port) which is close to reach by subway for Marseille St. Charles Train Station.

Here you can download the schedule:

http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH12-Marseille-Aix-en-Provence-Pertuis_v2_tcm-27-32099_20100701_1705.pdf

The standard fare one-way in 2nd class in an TER-Regional Train is 7.00 EUR.

But in this area there are also some day passes available. Therefore without knowing your personal plans and background use this price as orientation.

When we were in Marseille we used this company for a private tour:

http://www.ssk.fr/en/ssk-dreamliner.php

Honestly spoken: due to the location of the cruise terminal it was great to have them in front of the terminal...

Regards

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...
You should also consider taking the bus, which runs much more regularly than the train (at least every 15 mins). The bus takes about 30 mins, and leave from the stop right next to the train station.

Can you tell me which bus or route #? and how much is the fare? Thx

• 3 weeks later...

I believe it is bus#50 but I don't remember the cost -- probably around 7 Euros.

The primary reason for taking the bus is the convenience. It runs every 10 minutes or so. When you get off the bus in Aix you need to walk back for about 2 blocks from the bus stop and make a left towards the fountain to get to the center of town.

I am not sure when you are going, but there has been lots of rail and bus strikes throughout France recently and especially in Marseilles. And it looks like it will continue on and off. Better have some backup plan and don't miss the ship.

10/18/2010 Defiant Marseille, heart of France's social unrest

As strikes against pension reform sweep France, the country's second city and biggest port has claimed center stage with its three-week-old dockworker strike depleting fuel depots just as refinery workers joined nationwide strikes over pensions.

Hit by rail strikes, postal strikes, street marches and school disruption this week, on top of a long-running garbage collectors' strike and blockaded docks, the Mediterranean city is getting such a name for resistance to reform that mayor Jean-Claude Gaudin has snapped back at unions.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69H3WW20101018

Archived