NCL Key West NAVY Yard

wesleyjr

We were told that Navy regulations prohibit anyone from walking from the ship. Taking a tram was mandatory. It was entertaining on the way out, but be aware that your belongings will be searched by guards upon re-entering the base. I did not like this, due to the delay and the seeming futility of it all. But they were thorough and looked in all bags. They did not care that I was smuggling beer, and I really don't know what they would be looking for.

Military police would naturally be looking for weapons, annumation, explosives, illegal contraban and post 9/11 extra security items of interest. After all you are entering a "secure" military installation. If our military bases were not secure than you really would have something to be upset about.

Retired military and not all people are military security conscious I reckon.

I know, rules are rules, especially with the military. My point was, we were not given free reign to roam the base (what little of it there was, it is basically an empty boatyard.)

We were on a non-stop tram to the cruise ship. They do not let people off except at the ship, and the ship boarding area is on a little isolated peninsula. I just thought the once-over was over-kill, but we are pretty used to it these days at airports, so no big deal.

It would be MUCH nicer for passengers if they docked at Mallory square or elsewhere within walking distance.

We were there on Carnival last February, and they had trams (free) transporting people constantly. There didn't appear to be any wait time at all. Very smooth operation. It was open air, and as they took you into the downtown area, they gave the spiel on what we were passing. very pretty area. When we decided to head back to the ship, back we went to the square, and waited max of 5 minutes. Just be careful you get on the right tram. Usually a small sign on it. Enjoy Key West! One of my favourite spots. Have a beer at Sloppy Joes and do some serious people watching

• 2 weeks later...

Some ships do dock at Mallory square, but they may leave earlier as they would interfer with the daily sunset festivities. Having grown up in the upper keys, sunsets are a very big deal, and not just for the tourists.

Archived