Scuba Lessons Onboard?

kicker

I can't find anything on Celebrity's site, and I tried a search on here with no good results. My question:

Does Celebrity offer Scuba Diving Lessons onboard (sailing on Eclipse in Jan.)? I know Royal Caribbean usually does and they have the info on their site. I'm figuring Celeb doesn't, but does anyone know for sure? Thanks in advance for any answers.

I can't find anything on Celebrity's site, and I tried a search on here with no good results. My question:

Does Celebrity offer Scuba Diving Lessons onboard (sailing on Eclipse in Jan.)? I know Royal Caribbean usually does and they have the info on their site. I'm figuring Celeb doesn't, but does anyone know for sure? Thanks in advance for any answers.

No, not on board, but there are shore excursions that have this.

MY DH and DD are currently getting certified here in Pittsburgh for our upcoming December cruise. Have completed all pool and classroom training. Certification dives next weekend. This way they can go on regular dives in Cozumel and Roatan.

Check padi.com to see if there are certified instructors in your area. There is at least one other major certification brand out there, but I'm nnot sure what is it. Anyone know?

Also, we are going through padi.com to select dive outfits to go out with in those ports.

Good luck!

Sara

The three biggies are PADI, SSI and NAUI.

PADI is the largest in terms of PADI affiliated dive centers and dive operaors. SSI is in second place. NAUI is in third.

All three do an excellent job BUT always remeber that results may vary and much depends on the integrity of the inidividual with whom you are dealing.

Just a quick word about NAUI - some of their advanced certifications can be really tough. I am not saying that the other two are lax or lacking, just that some NAUI advanced ceertifications are tougher.

Alos, nothing prevents you from getting certifications form different organizations. Our OW came from SSI as did my Disver Search and Rescue. My NITROX certification came from a different organization.

:):):)

I'm actually inquiring for my DS & DDIL. According to my DDIL there is a local shop that would certify them (with the required training of course); biggest problem is they'd have to buy their own gear up front. Since we get to cruise once a year and they don't plan on using it locally, that's somewhat impractical for 1). cost reasons and 2). luggage restrictions on airlines (we're already trying to figure out how to pack formal wear, etc. and have room for everything in our one suitcase apiece, which is costing us each $25 anyways).

I'll pass the info along to them. I know some excursions will give you training on the spot, but I think we may be looking at snorkeling or snuba as alternatives.

The three biggies are PADI, SSI and NAUI.

PADI is the largest in terms of PADI affiliated dive centers and dive operaors. SSI is in second place. NAUI is in third.

All three do an excellent job BUT always remeber that results may vary and much depends on the integrity of the inidividual with whom you are dealing.

Just a quick word about NAUI - some of their advanced certifications can be really tough. I am not saying that the other two are lax or lacking, just that some NAUI advanced ceertifications are tougher.

Alos, nothing prevents you from getting certifications form different organizations. Our OW came from SSI as did my Disver Search and Rescue. My NITROX certification came from a different organization.

:):):)

Thanks, Pilot70D! NAUI is the other I was thinking about. We are planning to stick to PADI 5star Instructor shops. I have some info from the scuba board - Maybe from you???:) Took a planning break but will get back to it after they are certified. DD is having mask clearing issues, so she is seeing an ENT on Monday. Has trouble exhaling through nose when regulator is in mouth. Did great on everything else.

I'm actually inquiring for my DS & DDIL. According to my DDIL there is a local shop that would certify them (with the required training of course); biggest problem is they'd have to buy their own gear up front. Since we get to cruise once a year and they don't plan on using it locally, that's somewhat impractical for 1). cost reasons and 2). luggage restrictions on airlines (we're already trying to figure out how to pack formal wear, etc. and have room for everything in our one suitcase apiece, which is costing us each $25 anyways).

I'll pass the info along to them. I know some excursions will give you training on the spot, but I think we may be looking at snorkeling or snuba as alternatives.

Usually I like to give pros and cons when responding, because I think everyone makes choices differently. BUT in this case I'll say don't do it!

For a first time there are "Discover Scuba" try-it-out excursions that provide all equipment and teach you how to use it. If its something they like, they can then look into getting certified either locally or on another trip.

My DD and DH had to buy mask, snorkel, fins and boots to take their training class (all other equipment was provided by the dive shop, included in the class cost). Prices for those things vary widely, but cost us abt $250pp. They will bring their mask and snorkels with, and maybe the fins and boots (these fins are designed to only fit with the dive boot on.)

For their certification dives next weekend they also need a watch, compass, and knife. That will be abt $150pp more. Side note: most new regulators have built in watches and compasses so we might get away without. Also, going to check on borrowing the dive knives for testing as they can't be brought onboard anyway.

Finally: not clear - would they get comletely certified on the cruise (Doesn't seem like there would be time). Are will they have their confined water and classroom done at home and just do their certification dives on vacation? If that's the case they might not be interested in Discover Scuba.

Hope my short and sweet :rolleyes: answer helps!

Sara

Not on X, there are not certification classes. Princess used to do this but not sure if they still do. I have done "discover scuba" excursions a few times since I am not certified and daunt them quite fun. One of these days I'll get around to taking a PADI course and agree it'd be great to take it on vacation. Or go to Bonaire for a week and do the same! I took my first discover scuba tour there and it was just magnificent!

You should never buy gear up front, prior to certification, that is ridiculous. Run away from any shop that does that.

B

Archived