2 September 05 Transatlantic : NY to UK

September05

Hi! What a fantastic community board!! I am hoping to secure a "D" grade room on the QM2 for the above Trans cruise and would welcome any advice or tips! At this stage I can't seem to find a friend to come with me so perhaps a later post will be begging someone to join me!! I will be flying from Sydney to NY on 1 September to join the QM2 and have 6 wonderful days on the sea exploring the delights of the ship and meeting new people. The purpose of the trip is to eventually hook up with my parents in Europe around the 11th/12th of Sept, but I really really wanted to incorporate a cruise into my part of the holiday. At the time of travel I will have just turned 31.

I am curious about what is included in the fare in terms of entertainment and food. If you are peckish outside regular mealtimes do you just separately pay for food at cafes or restaurants on board? What currency is used on board? Do singles feel ostracised or are there plenty of things for singles to do too? Is every night a "black tie" night for dinner? How long does boarding/disembarking take? I think I will just start with those questions seeing as I have plenty of time before I travel!!

Kindest regards.

Everything is included for food, entertainment, room, services, etc. You only have to pay for your drinks (they have a soft drink sticker you can buy for unlimited softdrinks), anything you buy on-board at the shops - You give them a credit card and you sign and charge everything to your cabin - you get a summary of your on-board charges when you leave, and you are done. Single supplement is very expensive - I hope you can find someone to go with you. If you enjoy to travel and relaxing on board the ship and participating in all the daily activities, you will probably do well by yourself. Even people who go in groups split up and do whatever they enjoy and meet up again later. If you are not shy, you can always find someone to sit and talk with. And you would ask for a table to be seated with other guests for meals and if you enjoy their company, you will have a nice time with that, too.

I found this message board when I first did a crossing on the QE2 in June 2003 and found excellent information - made knowing what to expect on board so much easier - no surprises - and good tips of what to do and what isn't that great -

It is a wonderful ship - I hope you get to experience her.

Hi gardenbunny - thank you so much for that helpful information! I hope I get to experience her too - I would so much love to go, but really do need someone to travel with to make it all happen.

I can't believe how many of you out there get to travel - you are very fortunate not to live all the way Down Under in terms of opportunities to cruise!!

Hi! What a fantastic community board!! I am hoping to secure a "D" grade room on the QM2 for the above Trans cruise and would welcome any advice or tips! At this stage I can't seem to find a friend to come with me so perhaps a later post will be begging someone to join me!! I will be flying from Sydney to NY on 1 September to join the QM2 and have 6 wonderful days on the sea exploring the delights of the ship and meeting new people. The purpose of the trip is to eventually hook up with my parents in Europe around the 11th/12th of Sept, but I really really wanted to incorporate a cruise into my part of the holiday. At the time of travel I will have just turned 31.

I am curious about what is included in the fare in terms of entertainment and food. If you are peckish outside regular mealtimes do you just separately pay for food at cafes or restaurants on board? What currency is used on board? Do singles feel ostracised or are there plenty of things for singles to do too? Is every night a "black tie" night for dinner? How long does boarding/disembarking take? I think I will just start with those questions seeing as I have plenty of time before I travel!!

Kindest regards.

Seabourndt on page 2 of these boards is looking for someone to share a cabin with for a trip later this year. You might want to contact him/her to see if it would work out.

Richard

Archived