Tipping..glass bottom boats?

aggiejade

DH and I are thinking of doing glass bottom boat in Cabo and getting tickets ahead of time through Johann and Sandra. Price of tickets is $9 ea. Is it customary to tip and if so how much? Also does anyone know if one time of the day is better for this boat ride than another? We are going Nov 23. Thanks for any help on this.

Nina

We usually tip a couple of dollars if we do the glass bottom boat tour. It is usually only about 45 minutes or so so I would plan it around whatever else you are going to do there. It looks like you are on the Mariner so you will be there for a full day. What else are you planning on doing there?

DH and I are thinking of doing glass bottom boat in Cabo and getting tickets ahead of time through Johann and Sandra. Price of tickets is $9 ea. Is it customary to tip and if so how much? Also does anyone know if one time of the day is better for this boat ride than another? We are going Nov 23. Thanks for any help on this.

Nina

I usually tip two or three dollars. The water is usually calmer early in the day.

Nina

Where are you going on the boat? The glass bottom boats, also known as water taxis will be all over the marina area as soon as you exit the tender pier. There is no need to buy a "ticket". It is usually $3/pp to go to Medano beach and around $10 if you want a tour of the area including a drop off at Lover's Beach or Medano beach. Make sure to negociate with the boat captain before you get in.

I'm not sure who you would even give this "ticket" to? All of the water taxis are privatly owned and run and you pay your money to the captain of which ever one you choose. I have been going to Cabo 2-4 weeks per year for over 15 years and have never saw or bought a ticket to go on a water taxi. You just negociate the price, hop on and go to wherever you may be going>

Where are you going on the boat? The glass bottom boats, also known as water taxis will be all over the marina area as soon as you exit the tender pier. There is no need to buy a "ticket". It is usually $3/pp to go to Medano beach and around $10 if you want a tour of the area including a drop off at Lover's Beach or Medano beach. Make sure to negociate with the boat captain before you get in.

I'm not sure who you would even give this "ticket" to? All of the water taxis are privatly owned and run and you pay your money to the captain of which ever one you choose. I have been going to Cabo 2-4 weeks per year for over 15 years and have never saw or bought a ticket to go on a water taxi. You just negociate the price, hop on and go to wherever you may be going>

It's a tour out to the arch and past the sea lion colony and back. Timewise it's about 45 min and we don't want to be dropped off at the beach. It's not a timed tour, we can choose when we want to go. Buying through Johann and Sandra saves us from having to negotiate. This is our first time going to MR so all the experiences of negotiating and timesharers and vendors hawking their wares is new to us.

We usually tip a couple of dollars if we do the glass bottom boat tour. It is usually only about 45 minutes or so so I would plan it around whatever else you are going to do there. It looks like you are on the Mariner so you will be there for a full day. What else are you planning on doing there?

Just walking around Cabo and taking pictures.

It's a tour out to the arch and past the sea lion colony and back. Timewise it's about 45 min and we don't want to be dropped off at the beach. It's not a timed tour, we can choose when we want to go. Buying through Johann and Sandra saves us from having to negotiate. This is our first time going to MR so all the experiences of negotiating and timesharers and vendors hawking their wares is new to us.

But are you going to be crammed onto the boat with a bunch of other people? If you do it yourself you will have the boat to yourself. I would just wait until I got there but if you are more comfortable with buying ahead of time than that would be ok too. Is it only a certain boat captain that you give your ticket to?

It really is easy to just get a water taxi and ride over to the arches on your own as househunter stated. But if you feel more comfortable with your pre-paid tour that's ok. You probably will have a full water taxi as opposed to one you would likely have to yourself if you did it on your own but I understand where you're coming from. I don't know that there's a best time of day but I guess if I were you I would go ahead and do your tour first and then you would have the rest of the day to do just what you wanted to do and not have to worry about getting back to the marina to do your tour. That way, if you found some shops or a restaurant you were really enjoying you wouldn't have to cut that time short to do your tour.

Enjoy your time in Cabo. I wish I was on my way there now!:)

We were just in Cabo last week and did the glass bottom boat tour with one of the vendors lined up at the pier. We were told we would go right away and not have to fill the boat, but of course, that didn't happen and we ended up with 10 of us in the boat. The water was very rough and this family was all in street clothes and carrying designer purses. Needless to say, they were soaked 10 minutes into the experience.

We were unable to get out of the boat at Lovers Beach, due to the rough waves. Even the guys that stand on the beach to help you couldn't stay on their feet. We did get off at Medano and the boat driver came back for us at our pre-arranged time. I had a dollar in my hand to tip whoever helped me into the boat. The man that helped my friend turned to help me and a young guy ran up, picked me up, put me in the boat and took the dollar, all before I could figure out what was happening. As we pulled away, the 2 guys were standing on the beach and yelling at each other over my dollar like it was $100!

The thread is a reminder. We have taken boat tours twice in our cruise stops in Cabo. The first was a Pez Gato Catamaran, calm, short, delightful. The second was a larger boat on a rough seas day.... NOT GOOD, NOT FUN!

If we were to take a boat tour again in Cabo, we might consider booking a short tour when we got there, to make sure the seas were calm.

And, to us, a $3 per person water taxi to Medano Beach is 90% of a boat tour experience in Cabo

Cabo water taxi to Medano Beach below

IMG_3537b.jpg

You can even find a water taxi to Medano for $2, if you shop around a bit

IMG_8643b.jpg

Archived