Costa in April

sealegs14

I've just returned from an NCL cruise with DH, DS and DD. We had a fantastic time and are considering another cruise in April.

Some of the Costa routes look interesting. Was looking at Serena, Concordia, Magica or Fortuna.

This time my DH won't be able to make it, but I felt quick secure cruising and thought I could cope with the children on my own (age 13 and 7).

Would appreciate any feedback and recommendations on the respective cruises. I don't speak Italian - does this cause a problem on an Italian line?

What are the sea conditions normally like in April? We had one rocky day in August and I got sick, but the other 6 days were fine. I can cope with one day, but wouldn't want to have a week of high seas!

Thanks for your help!

you don't say where you are going, but rough seas are a possibility anywhere, anytime.

all services are offered in at least 5 languages onboard. menus, announcements, excursions, daily programs, etc. english, italian, german, french, spanish. if there is a large contingent of other language speakers onboard, they will accomodate that as well. you'll also be seated at meal times with speakers of your language.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm now pretty much decided on the Western Mediterranean route. So, now I need to choose between Concordia and Serena.

Do they both cater well for children/teens - I have a 14 year old and 7 year old, who both loved NCL Jade teen/kids clubs. Do Costa offer clubs for both teens and kids?

Any input on these lines would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again

The following if rom Costa Web site - Useful Information section:

Entertainment for children and teens

From morning to evening our entertainment staff will keepyour children entertained (they must be independent andtoilet trained) giving you plenty of time to enjoy your cruise inpeace, and if you wish, also when you go on shore excursions.Costa's entertainment staff are available to look after yourchildren and teens between the ages of 3 (even if theirbirthday is during the cruise) and 17 every day from 9.00 a.m.to 11.30 p.m. A free group babysitting service is also availableat the Squok Club from 11.30 p.m. to 1.30 a.m. on request.These times may be subject to slight variations depending onthe cruise programme. In some periods this service may bemore limited – times will be advertised on board. There arefour Clubs: Mini, from 3 to 6 years old; Maxi from 7 to 11; TeenJunior from 12 to 14; and Teen from 15 to 17. Club activitiesand age groupings may vary by ship and the number ofparticipants. There is no child-minding or entertainmentservice for children under 3 years old.

Ron

Hubby and I sailed on the Atlantica in April with our 7 year old daughter. I commented at the time that I could definitely do this on my own with her because it was so super easy. She decided to spend most of her time at the Squok kids club anyway, so basically I would have had lots of time to myself - what a nightmare! :D

Hint: Check in with your roll call first to meet other English speaking families who will be on your cruise. We did this because we were concerned about our daughter, who is an only child, having someone else to play with. On the roll call, we were able to "meet" and exchange emails with parents of kids the same age. The kids emailed messages and pictures back and forth about a month before the cruise. Therefore, by the time they actually met on the first day of the cruise, they were already good friends. As I mentioned before, she spent most of her time in the Squok Club with her newfound friends - mainly 2 little girls from New Zealand whom are still her email penpals.

We were on the NCL Jade last year and were on the Costa Atlantica in March. My daughter preferred the activities on the Costa ship. (She was 14 at the time.) The down side is, Costa doesn't have as much going on - organized activities - during the day for teens, but the younger kids are kept busy all day long. I ended up with a LOT of time to myself.

Archived