Recent Seattle Stay

Jen1000

We stayed 3 nights pre-cruise in Seattle 9/4 to 9/7. We stayed at the Quality Inn on John, it is very close to the Space Needle. We arrived at the airport and had arranged for the hotel shuttle to pick us up, $45 for 4 adults and 1 child. The minimum is $40 for the shuttle to/from the airport. Could have been done by public transport but we did not want to bother.

The staff at the Quality Inn were very nice and very helpful with everything. Hot and cold breakfast is served daily and there was a good variety. Indoor pool and hot tub. The rooms are on the small side and nothing fancy but we were barely in the room and for the location the price was a good deal, about $110 per night on a holidy weekend with a major festival going on at Seattle Center. The cheaper rooms are smaller and had no fridge or microwave. We had 2 doubles the first night, no fridge or micro and 2 queens the other 2 nights, slightly larger room with fridge and micro. Free internet and a computer in the lobby. There are several bus stops near by and the monorail is over by the Space Needle, no more than a 10 minute walk. This hotel is outside the free bus zone so you need to walk to the free zone or it is $2, kids and seniors $0.75. There is a Walgreens a block away where they sold soda, water and wine.

We went to the baseball game the first night and there was a shuttle that picked up from the hotel and returned us after the game, I think it was $5 or $6 each roundtrip. We found a Greek quick serve restaurant at John and Broad. We had Gyro's that were tasty. There is also a McDonald's on Broad we hit a couple of times on the way home at night. Good weather.

Sunday we met up with some of the group at Westlake Mall to head to the Museum of Flight. But first some of us ate lunch at the food court in the mall, large variety of food. The museum was great. You get to go inside a Concorde and Air Force One. There is a museum full of planes and lots of history. $2 each way on the bus to get there (drops you right out front) and $13 with AAA to get in. When we got back we headed to Pike's but most of it was closing down. Also, visited the original Starbuck's. That night we met up with more of our group and went to Ivar's Seafood Bar on the water. $8 to $12 for fried items with fries. My favorite were the scallops and halibut and didn't really care for the fried salmon. Soup was good. There is a covered area to eat. Everyone liked the meal. Some in our group then took the ferry to Bainbridge Island. It was cheap, around $7 roundtrip and they said the views of the city at night were stunning. Good weather.

Monday my cousin and I headed back to Pike's to get more of the experience and find the gum wall. Then 18 of the 19 of us in town for my brother's wedding met for lunch at the Space Needle. The lunch was excellent and the views amazing, even though it was raining some and somewhat overcast. If you want to go up the Space Needle, have lunch there in the rotating restaurant and you can see it all plus a visit to the observation deck is included. After lunch we went to Underground Seattle. It was fun, there is not a lot to see but the stories are funny and interesting. It was $15 for adults. We also took a look at my Dad's hotel, The Douletree Arctic. It is very nice and we were able to see the elaborate ballroom. Some went to Ivar's again for dinner and some of us went to the Spaghetti Factory. I went with the SF group via bus and it was the usual great food for reasonable prices that SF is known for (about $10 for a complete meal). It rained most of the afternoon and evening.

Tuesday we were off to the cruise ship via hotel shuttle, $6 each round trip. My brother's wedding was on the ship while in port so we needed to be there at 10:30 for early processing and boarding. We had a case of water and diet coke and the porter who helped us with our bags said we could check those in with our luggage. The diet coke was delivered with all the drinks there but the end had fallen open. If you check a 12 pack tape the ends shut or carry it on. 11 were going on the cruise and 3 of our 5 cabins were ready for us to finish getting ready for the wedding in. The wedding was lovely and went off without a hitch. The package they selected included a sit down lunch in the MDR. It was really lovely and the staff was excellent.

My only warning with Seattle is that we were harrassed on several occasions by homeless/possibly crazy people. The worst of it was in Pioneer Square after the Underground tour, around 6:30 to 7:30. The other area was down at the water front area between the Aquarium and Ivar's, again we were there in the early evening. I am not talking about people just asking for money but sexual comments, demands for money, being chased down, in your face, etc. There were also some interesting people that rode the bus in the free zone.

I will add that my Mom rented a car for 1 day with Enterprise. They picked her up at the hotel and when they returned the car Enterprise dropped them at the cruise ship. The Quality Inn had free parking. We used mostly buses, the monorail and 3 cab rides.

Others stayed at the Fairmont, The Doubletree Arctic, the Marriott Waterfront and Courtyard by the airport. All had positive things to say about their hotels. I was told it was easy enough to get from the airport hotel in to downtown via light rail.

I will post the rest of my review in the Alaska section as that is where we were headed!

Jen in SoCal

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I will start the Alaska part of the trip tonight or tomorrow and post it on the Alaska board.

Dusty, I see you have been to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. Which did you prefer? There were some people on board who complained about Glacier Bay and its "dirty ice" and raved about Tracy Arm. I thought Glacier Bay was amazing so I wondered what your thoughts are on the subject.

Jen in SoCal

thanks so much jen. your info is very helpful and many will get alot of good ideas from it. keep the review coming :)

There were some people on board who complained about Glacier Bay and its "dirty ice" and raved about Tracy Arm. I thought Glacier Bay was amazing so I wondered what your thoughts are on the subject.

Jen in SoCal

They should have heard in loudspeaker talks by the rangers aboard (hope Celebrity does that) that the ice is NOT dirty. That's glacial dust and rocks they're seeing. The dust is from the rocks being ground together as the ice moves and grinds them.;)

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I will start the Alaska part of the trip tonight or tomorrow and post it on the Alaska board.

Dusty, I see you have been to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. Which did you prefer? There were some people on board who complained about Glacier Bay and its "dirty ice" and raved about Tracy Arm. I thought Glacier Bay was amazing so I wondered what your thoughts are on the subject.

Jen in SoCal

glacier bay is #1 for me. i did not see the glacier as being dirty. i think some people think of the glacier ice as being ( crystal clear) . it is compressed with many things picked up on the way down too the water. they are a beauiful blue, white and off white. and there is nothing like the sound of the CRACK of ice some where in the area. during the glacier day the ship will turn around full circle when you get too the main glacier area. tracy arm is beautiful but there is no guarentee of getting up close too the glacier at sawer because of ice in the water threw the narrows. there is the private tour off the ship in tracy arm too get there though. i feel it is a '' must do '' for the tracy arm cruise. the glacier bay cruise is like getting the best of 2 worlds. early in the day on the way too glacier bay you pass mts and waterfalls before you get there. and when you do it is awesome. the glaciers are gorgeous. we were there all day getting there and back. i am going back too the arm next may and wont be sorry. but everyone should go too one of the main glaciers at least once on one of their cruises too alaska. others will have different opinions of the glacier and tracy arm. the only way too know is too go for yourself :D i hope i have helped. :)

• 5 months later...

Jen1000: Due to reading about your stay at the Quality Inn, we booked this hotel. However, on the TA Seattle forum, I have had several posters discourage me from my choice. They do not likes its location on a busy street, and they comment about its age. They suggest the Comfort Inn instead. I read on the TA reviews that the Quality Inn has recently been fully recarpeted. My main requirements in a lodging are CLEAN and SAFE. Any comments on how it meets my criteria?

It seems like you mostly used some form of public transportation to get around Seattle. Did you ever walk to the main part of downtown from this hotel? If so, can you describe the walk? If you didn't, do you have any idea what it would be like? Thanks!

We spent 1 night in a 2 double room that faces the busy street and really thought nothing of it til your post. The 2 Q room we had faced another hotel, why not just request one of those if you are concerned. Someone posted here or TA that the Quality Inn was run down, the outside looks old but the inside is just fine. I found the location perfectly fine. there is no need to cross the busy street at the QI, everywhere you will want to go is on the QI side. I don't expect the Ritz at a QI lol but it was cetainly clean and safe.

We never walked "downtown". The furthest we walked was Old Spaghetti Factory. No need to walk dt, just walk to the free bus zone and catch a bus. If you are planning on walking the CI is furtherfrom dt.

I too considered the CI but switched to the QI because I liked the location better and it had a pool and hot tub, which we used and the airport shuttle was reasonable, the CI didn't offer these. I am sure it is a fine hotel as well.

Jen in SoCal

Jen1000: Due to reading about your stay at the Quality Inn, we booked this hotel. However, on the TA Seattle forum, I have had several posters discourage me from my choice. They do not likes its location on a busy street, and they comment about its age. They suggest the Comfort Inn instead. I read on the TA reviews that the Quality Inn has recently been fully recarpeted. My main requirements in a lodging are CLEAN and SAFE. Any comments on how it meets my criteria?

It seems like you mostly used some form of public transportation to get around Seattle. Did you ever walk to the main part of downtown from this hotel? If so, can you describe the walk? If you didn't, do you have any idea what it would be like? Thanks!

We spent 1 night in a 2 double room that faces the busy street and really thought nothing of it til your post. The 2 Q room we had faced another hotel, why not just request one of those if you are concerned. Someone posted here or TA that the Quality Inn was run down, the outside looks old but the inside is just fine. I found the location perfectly fine. there is no need to cross the busy street at the QI, everywhere you will want to go is on the QI side. I don't expect the Ritz at a QI lol but it was cetainly clean and safe.

We never walked "downtown". The furthest we walked was Old Spaghetti Factory. No need to walk dt, just walk to the free bus zone and catch a bus. If you are planning on walking the CI is furtherfrom dt.

I too considered the CI but switched to the QI because I liked the location better and it had a pool and hot tub, which we used and the airport shuttle was reasonable, the CI didn't offer these. I am sure it is a fine hotel as well.

Jen in SoCal

Thanks. I wasn't concerned about the busy street meaning the room would be noisy. We have stayed at many hotels on very busy thoroughfares. I thought the posters meant it was a lousy location because it was on a busy street and therefore difficult to walk places and perhaps lots of traffic. Maybe I misunderstood their explanation. I did request a quiet location for the room, just as I always do when I make a reservation. Sometimes I get my request, other times I do not.;)

We do like to walk. It appears that Pike's Place Market is about a mile from the QI. As long as there are safe sidewalks, it is something we would consider, at least in one direction. Thanks again for responding. I think we will just stay with this reservation.

There are sidewalks everywhere and Seattle is full of people walking around and I am sure the walk is not bad to Pike's. Just know that Seattle is very hilly. I had not been there in years and had forgotten just how hilly it is. We were dealing with lots of people (I think 18 total) and groups of us would need to meet up and we would run out of time to get there and we often went with what was fastest :) Also, we walked from Pike's to Ivar's which again involved some rather steep terrain.

The HI Express is on the opposite side of the busy street from the QI on John, that side I would not want to be on as it is on the wrong side of the busy street from where you probably would want to go. I did not see a way across right there so you would need to go out of your way to cross.

Jen in SoCal

Thanks. I wasn't concerned about the busy street meaning the room would be noisy. We have stayed at many hotels on very busy thoroughfares. I thought the posters meant it was a lousy location because it was on a busy street and therefore difficult to walk places and perhaps lots of traffic. Maybe I misunderstood their explanation. I did request a quiet location for the room, just as I always do when I make a reservation. Sometimes I get my request, other times I do not.;)

We do like to walk. It appears that Pike's Place Market is about a mile from the QI. As long as there are safe sidewalks, it is something we would consider, at least in one direction. Thanks again for responding. I think we will just stay with this reservation.

There are sidewalks everywhere and Seattle is full of people walking around and I am sure the walk is not bad to Pike's. Just know that Seattle is very hilly. I had not been there in years and had forgotten just how hilly it is. We were dealing with lots of people (I think 18 total) and groups of us would need to meet up and we would run out of time to get there and we often went with what was fastest :) Also, we walked from Pike's to Ivar's which again involved some rather steep terrain.

The HI Express is on the opposite side of the busy street from the QI on John, that side I would not want to be on as it is on the wrong side of the busy street from where you probably would want to go. I did not see a way across right there so you would need to go out of your way to cross.

Jen in SoCal

Thanks, I am feeling better and better about my choice.

Archived