Definition of Halter top, I think I have the answer!

Cruise Arizona

On the jeans thread somebody asked about the definition of halter top.

Here's my take.

This is fine:

productimg1257175307368.jpg

this is not:

BL74-sand_suede_70s_style_halter_top_beads_feather&t=1

Amen, i truly hate to see the MDR lose its formality. It is my belief that a formal dining venue is part of the Celebrity cruise experience.

Halterneck is a style of women's clothing with a single strap around the back of the neck. This can refer to either a dress or a separate shirt, called a halter top. The latter is a type of sleeveless shirt similar to a tank top (by the American English definition). The term "halter" comes from the German word for "holder", as in Büstenhalter, which literally means "busts-holder" and is equivalent to "brassiere".

If a bra is worn with a haltertop, it is generally strapless, as to avoid exposing the back straps of a typical bra. Some garments with halternecks may tie at the back of the neck, as is often seen in bathing suits.

In another model of the halter top, there is only a narrow strap behind the neck and a narrow strap behind the middle of the back, so that it is mostly backless. This design resembles many bikini tops, although it covers the chest more and may cover some or all of the abdomen at the front.

Halterneck garments are generally considered more provocative because they leave the upper or upper and middle back free, exposing the shoulder blades. As such, some institutions that otherwise permit casual attire (such as many American high schools) prohibit the wearing of these garments (along with spaghetti-strapped and other revealing clothing).

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halterneck

Are halter tops a big no-no?? That style tends to flatter me more than normal straps, so I have a fair number of dresses & tops that are halter tops. Will I run into trouble if I try to wear them?

When I started this thread I was trying to show the difference between a halter style gown, dress, top that would be appropriate and the style of top that is deemed to casual for the MDR.

I think a top like the first one, just the top part, of the above dress is fine with nice pants, and maybe now even jeans.

But the second top, or a top that looks more like a swim suit, or the old 70's style halter tops that are just a tie at the neck and a tie a the back with two triangles and a flap in front would be way to casual.

JMHO, but since it was brought up earlier in the jeans thread I was trying to suggest an answer to what is appropriate and what is not.

When I started this thread I was trying to show the difference between a halter style gown, dress, top that would be appropriate and the style of top that is deemed to casual for the MDR.

I think a top like the first one, just the top part, of the above dress is fine with nice pants, and maybe now even jeans.

But the second top, or a top that looks more like a swim suit, or the old 70's style halter tops that are just a tie at the neck and a tie a the back with two triangles and a flap in front would be way to casual.

JMHO, but since it was brought up earlier in the jeans thread I was trying to suggest an answer to what is appropriate and what is not.

Ok. I guess I just think of a Halter as more of a neck-line than a style of top :o I wouldn't be caught dead in that second top.

I asked that question and I would never wear a top like the second one in the DR. The tops I was asking about were certainly more like the top half of the dress you pictured. Dressy, nothing I would wear to a beach or pool. Plus I would pair them with nice pants and heels. So I guess they would be okay.

There is an email (actually several versions) making the rounds of pictures taken in Wal-Mart stores:eek:...there are some classic pics of halters in those...I unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) no longer have those pics but I bet some of you do!:D

Archived